Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I just googled it and used this video to get the kids started: We watched several other videos from you tubers who obviously love taking crazy extremely artistic notes, which my daughter loved, but my son and I did not. LOL. @Lori D. I was thinking my dd (5th) would not do any independent note-taking for a while, but she's gone totally crazy and gotten out a new notebook and has been taking "pretty" notes like the you tubers all afternoon and evening, and she's doing a remarkably good job of it! 😂 Her summaries are on point and she is adding illustrations, too. Go figure. LOL. She is struggling to note our history text, which is a much higher level than the encyclopedias she is using for her independent notes. And you are right, it is exhausting to read closely like this!!!
  3. Thank you! I think we'll try this recipe at Thanksgiving, even though only 2 out of the five of us will likely eat it. It sounds delicious!
  4. How's everyone? Our mortgage statement just came. It went up $62 because taxes went up for next year. Blargle. We've been paying extra so we're a bit ahead, but this will cut into that. I am refiguring the budget now to see if we can bump up our payment to the next $100 mark. Found a good Christmas present for the youngest. There's a show on Amazon Prime called James Day's Toy Stories, about this guy taking vintage toys and introducing them to modern kids, but with a twist. In the first episode he focused on Airfix model aeroplanes and tanks, and then they all built a giant, life sized model Spitfire that looked like a plastic kit had been taken and magnified. Well, dh used to build these sort of things. I built a few. And now youngest ds's interest is piqued. I think a nice simple kit and some paints might be a good January activity for him to do with dad. I haven't done hardly anything this week because schedules and cold, so there's definitely saving money there! However, not wanting to do much has its downside: ds has overdue library books. They were supposed to go back yesterday but the sudden drop in temperature kept me indoors as much as possible. That's a $.02 fine x 3 books. And no, I cannot renew online. Only adult accounts can have book renewals for some reason. So I'll drop them off today and at the end of the year, pay our fines. They should be up to about $.10 and $1.12, respectively. 😄
  5. I was hoping to try on the Vanish while in the USA last month but just ran out of time! I may take a risk and order a pair because I'm currently running in Nike Frees and the toe box just feels too tight after my altars. I cannot stand any pressure on the top of my foot at all, drives me insane, so the way the knit hugs the foot just doesn't work. Mesh tends to sort of self-support over the top of my foot and so I don't have that huggy feeling that makes my foot have a claustrophobic meltdown.
  6. We are pretty much almost entirely out of the box :-). Even when it comes to the basics, we do very little that’s standard. My daughters an accelerated 7 year old, so I’m sure that makes it easier. We don’t follow any curriculum for any of the 3Rs. She gets a ton of input into her writing lessons. Last year, one of our big projects was making our own Mad Libs from scratch. This year, she’s randomly decided to write an extremely long book report on the series “The Sisters Grimm.” She wrote one very disorganized but otherwise surprisingly mature report, and we’re about to start on the second draft. I think finishing it up will pretty much take up our fall semester. So we’re almost entirely interest-led for writing. And for reading as well, because she loves reading. For math, I do the work in the order that seems logically correct to me, which means she’s been multiplying since she was 5 but she just learned how to add and subtract by stacking this year. We’ve also done fun in-depth studies of cool topics like combinatorics (I think I have a thread on that project somewhere on here), binary, primes, and negative numbers. I do make sure that the projects help us progress in arithmetic fluency (for instance, combinatorics was amazing multiplication and division practice), but we do follow a lot of rabbit trails. We used to have more time at home, but given the choice, my daughter picks taking tons of classes out of the house, so our schedule has actually gotten quite demanding. She does get lots of play time, but not a ton of unstructured time. That’s something we need to work on...
  7. Van Wagenen's Modern Speller C. C. Long's Lessons in English Grammar & Composition Wheeler's Graded Studies in Great Authors
  8. https://www.dnanudge.com/index.php The founders have excellent backgrounds https://www.dnanudge.com/en/about-us
  9. I have been in that spot. I do think it’s hard to know when to hand over the reins. My son was extremely hard-headed (we even had a family nickname for him) and, when he was younger, had unrealistic expectations often. I did advise him, and I do this with younger ds as well, but he had to learn to manage his own workload. I do not provide scaffolding in college for classwork. I do for other things, like “your car tags are about to expire and here’s what you need to do,” but not schoolwork. All that is to say, I agree that sixth grade is a good time to learn a few things the hard way. Some kids only learn the hard way. I would not be above pointing out to child that she has unrealistic expectations, but I also think it is okay for her to realize this by experience.
  10. My son with ADHD went to school in 8th. We started him on medication for the first time in his life to help with this transition. For the most part he has refused my help but I do go over with him every night and weekend, what homework he has and when it is due. I then sometimes help him prioritize, like he'll say I do this first and it is due days later when he has some assignments due the next day. I have helped him break down bigger tasks- hey what all needs to get done here, what needs to be done first, etc. Mostly he does ok but there have been times I have pushed him to start an assignment, even though he doesn't think he needs to because he doesn't have a sense of how long it will really take, he doesn't like it when I do that but it is needed at times. I've also sat alongside him just to keep him focused, redirected, and help when needed. He does great if he can get things done in school but by the time he has homework the meds have worn off and he sometimes don't have much left to give. This year in 9th I've not provided much help or support as he usually brushes me aside. I do still ask about homework and go over due dates with him. He is also highly motivated to get good grades, which I think plays a large part in how well he has done, that motivation helps, along with the meds during the day so he can get a good chunk of work done then. I would also say in 6th there are TONS of parents providing all kinds of help for big projects, even for kids that aren't ADHD. So, it depends on if the teacher has expectations for a project a kid can actually do or is accustomed to the projects kids turn in that they've had lots of help with. Helping her in 6th isn't an anomaly at all, or setting her up as a failure.
  11. Thanks! I will look into those. Does anyone have any reviews on Write at Home or Lantern English? I am not familiar with either of these approaches.
  12. @Chris in VA, I am so sorry. When I was in my twenties, I had no idea this was a thing that happens. And then I found out it is. I hope you have the support you need now.
  13. Today
  14. I vote it is an EC, not a credit, looks like double dipping to me too.
  15. Soooo....I had an 11 yo. With the same issues. And this? It wasn't enough. It's part of why he did miserably in 6th grade in school. We pulled him out at the end of that year and went back to home, where he had explicitly detailed checklists and task cards. If the executive functioning thread had been around then, I would have pulled every idea from that. As it was, he managed to get through it, learn how to self regulate, and keep himself on task, but middle school really needed those extra bits to keep him going in the right direction. I read a blurb not too long ago about how the end task visualization can be missing, which makes it hard to get going, and it clicked with what my own kid had been trying to tell me. He would not know exactly how to do one part of a big project and would stall, which would then make everything stall. Once we sat down at home with very detailed, "this is what this part needs to look like" and "let's work backward from the due date and put each small task on the calendar", he was able to function better (and adult better later!). Sometimes you have to sit down and think about what the end result is teaching. I am all for letting kids fail when you have given them every resource and they choose not to use them. In this situation, I think it should definitely be balanced with a recovery for the next time: explicit teaching how to break it down, checking on each step, and holding her accountable until she's in the habit of holding herself accountable.
  16. I've enjoyed reading your beautiful stories. I grew up in a sweet, loving, Christian home. I was part of an evangelical Lutheran church, but in those days, evangelical meant something different! It was a church full of simple, loving, authentic people, most of whom also drank alcohol at least on occasion and danced. 🙂 My own parents had cocktail hour and yet loved the Lord at the same time! My faith didn't involve rules, only loving Jesus. (As a result I probably lived a more wild lifestyle than I should have, but I don't have too many regrets.) It wasn't until college that I dated a guy who talked about the inerrancy and literal interpretation of Scripture, and I remember how funny I thought that was. I had no idea people actually believed that! I always assumed the Bible must have some boo-boos in it, or be symbolic instead of literal, etc. It didn't affect my love for Jesus. I married a young man who was coming out of the Catholic church and upbringing, and was a self-proclaimed maybe-atheist. But he was kind and loving and very smart and I married him. All along we both had "instincts" about what we believed was important, not even related to faith necessarily, but just life in general. Like, be kind to others, be unselfish, be humble, help the poor. If I ever heard anything from the Christian church that seemed to preach contrary to any of those things, then I just figured the church was wrong. But if anyone asked me how the church could be wrong, I couldn't explain it. My only answer was, "It doesn't seem right. A loving God wouldn't be like that." We lived in D.C. when we were first married, and attended a great Methodist church with a really intellectual pastor who tackled difficult issues. This was really different than my Lutheran upbringing that just kind of did whatever seemed right but didn't necessarily back it up with answers, and different from my dh's upbringing with the Catholic church. I think that was the year that my dh became a firm believer, although our journey was just beginning. We eventually joined a Lutheran church, raised our family there, began homeschooling... Homeschooling was the first time I butted heads with fundamentalism. Wow, I had no idea what fundamentalism was until I started homeschooling. I think it hurt my kids. I tried to gloss over the stuff I didn't agree with and made sure to avoid the history and science curriculums, and I always talked about it all with my kids, but I think you can't help but run into those beliefs when you homeschool, even if you don't agree with them. A lot of my kids' friends held those beliefs during those years. Fast forward to 9 years ago when our lives turned upside-down after my dh's health event that took away 1/4 of his brain. I fell into a deep depression and couldn't pray anymore after that, and that's the first time I began to question God's very existence. In fact, I pretty much accepted that he didn't exist, and stopped praying or even thinking about God for about three years. But now and then I had a nudge, and that nudge was a question that continually asked me if I believed anything at all anymore related to Christianity, and I finally realized that I did still believe in unconditional love. So I believed in the message of Jesus. I was good with stopping there. I'd just keep my eyes on Jesus, whoever he was. He didn't need to be God. Over time, I discovered theologians like Greg Boyd and Bruxy Cavey. They changed my world, especially Greg Bod. Since then, I've found lots of others, but Greg was my starting place. Their teachings always started with Jesus. And eventually Jesus led me back to God. For the first time in my life, Christianity actually made logical sense. I've come to believe probably everything Tiberia listed above. Actually, I think those are the things I instinctively and vaguely believed before, but now I have reasoning behind it. Now I can articulate it. God is a god of love, straight and simple. Love guides everything. Love changes everything. Nothing else matters much, really. The purest expression of this love is Jesus. Judgment is out the door. This makes the most sense to me, and it has challenged some of my own prejudices. It has forced me to be more humble and compassionate. I think people can find Jesus in many different ways, and that's fine. It might even be a really conservative church that helps point them there. I'm working really hard to not be judgy about that. (Because I do get judgy with certain churches!) I think God meets us wherever we're at, even if it's a very imperfect place. (Which is true for all of us, for sure.)
  17. My DD and her roommate are both from places with Tropical climates. They are just beginning to learn what "cold" weather is like. Yesterday, it looked like DD might see Snow Flurries, in the afternoon, but they got cold rain and no Snow. Eventually she will see Snow for the first time, that isn't in a movie... Everyone needs to remember to dress appropriately, to protect from Frostbite and Hypothermia. Stay warm!
  18. Morning. Dark o'clock. Am not impressed. I've been up for an hour now with Youngest, who doesn't seem to notice it's not daytime yet or that no one else is awake. Coffee: I am especially thankful you exist on mornings like this.
  19. re: eggplant- I just started liking it a couple of years ago, I realized if you salt and let it sit it improves the flavor and draws out the moisture so it is not so soggy, it always tasted bitter to me before. I've not had it a lot of different ways- I do breaded and baked and in ratatouille. I've not used it in a lasagna but have used zucchini like that, I bet the eggplant would work well. I had a solid workout at the gym last night. I felt stronger on my negatives and rows but weaker on thrusters but overall good. I think I may have FINALLY figured out the sweet spot with pre-workout nutrition(timing and intake) for am and pm workouts and it seems to make a big difference in my recovery and how I feel at different heart rates. I've not felt nauseous working out in a while (knock on wood as we say here!) I think for the pm workouts it also had to do with when I take my evening dose of thyroid meds, I now do doses at 12 hrs apart and that is pretty good, before I was dosing before my workout but seems I do better all around at this interval which puts my lifting 2 hrs before my 2nd dose. Food has been pretty good too, eating food I enjoy, feeling satisfied, good energy, and cravings are settled down. It is always a balancing act keeping ratios and amounts where I need them to feel the best. I think I slid a bit too far on carbs for awhile and got out of my best zone. I'll post a meal below, still plenty of carbs, all with some fat and protein. My sleep is still meh but I'm tweaking different things to see if there is a factor I'm missing. Yesterday I had whole grain/seed gf toast w/ almond butter pre-workout sauteed sweet potato w/ red onion and 3 eggs dark chocolate w/ almonds salmon w/ quinoa & broccoli salad 1/2 gf bagel w/ slice of colby jack - pre- 2nd workout nf greek yogurt- unsweet almond milk, choc almond milk, 1/2 banana, strawberries, and spinach post workout brown jasmine rice, chipolte flavored pinto beans, roasted veggies, and a bit of steak (seasoned fajita style)
  20. I’m going to go with “It’s hard to know, because every single kid is different.” I did start to write out detailed examples in my house, but then I felt bad for comparing my kids and myself to one another. I’ll just say that there’s been a mix of approaches, and the most “successful” outcome so far has been with the kid whose business I’ve kept my nose out of. I’m not saying that that’s the right thing for everyone, but that failure or risk of failure did not motivate another one of my kids. Or me, for that matter. Each of the three of us have/had different needs and motivation.
  21. I understand that IEW SWI-A is for grades 3-5. What I am unclear on is how it is scheduled. Is SWI-A a one year program? Do you divide it up over those 3 year?
  22. When we went to Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando I wore my Crocs. Lots of room if your feet swell, etc., but that was at the end of April, when it was warm. In cool/cold weather, I would look for some kind of Enclosed Sandals that would keep feet warmer, or Tennis Shoes with Support, and room for expansion. Standing or sitting or walking, feet will swell. The shoes ideally will have both Support (Arch Support) and room for expansion and be flexible.
  23. Pawz4me

OCD, ASD?

Every professional who saw DS said he wasn't on the spectrum. When he hit his teen years and the anxiety set in and we finally got in to see a psychiatrist she met with him once or twice (I forget exactly--it didn't take her long at all) before telling me she was positive he was on the spectrum. I had not told her beforehand that I'd been positive for most of his life that he was. She got there all on her own. Formal testing by a psychologist confirmed it. Kids who are high functioning--yeah, I know, some people hate that term but I don't know how to describe it better--and especially those who are gifted can be quite expert at compensating and hiding. Until they're not.
  24. My husband just got a portable phone charger. It attaches to the back of his phone. You charge it then put it on and your phone lasts like 3x as long.
  25. Oh, I'm sorry, Margaret! I hope it goes well! On the docket here: -school -tutoring -set up violin assessment for youngest -laundry (forgot to do hockey underwear yesterday because they were still in his bag) -take kid to hockey -hibernate. 18 degrees right now and not warming up much. Even the rink is warmer than this. Dinner gets to be leftovers, lunch is not going to be micromanaged.
  26. Chris in VA

OCD, ASD?

I just want to say that there are professionals to help you and you do not need to play "guess and check". Go find help. Do it now, while there is still time to get on the right track with any needed remediative therapies, education, or meds, because the time is coming quickly when you will no longer have control. Also it is good for her to have help before any skills she may lack (like anxiety-handling skills) will really be needed to live an unscaffolded life.
  1. Load more activity