Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I’ll keep the one on the guest bed as a souvenir. I have only encountered new soap on a guest bed when it is hand soap in the guest bathroom, so as an optional choice. However, you could just leave the unopened bar soap in the guest bathroom if you don’t wish to bring it home.
  3. I think either is fine. I wouldn't think either way of it as the host.
  4. It's less expensive than the private school I'd choose, that's for sure. But your math doesn't take into account the money I'm not making because I'm homeschooling. Of course, I do a lot of frugal things to keep our family budget under control, most of which I couldn't/wouldn't do if I worked full time. Who knows. The math is extremely complex, and it isn't really a factor in our family decision to homeschool.
  5. When you are staying at another person's house for a few days, And they have placed a towel and a bar of soap on the guest bed for you to use while you are there. Are you meant to take the soap home with you at the end of the visit or leave it in the bathroom? The bathroom already has new bars of soap everywhere soap is needed Basically I am staying at a relative's house at the moment and am not sure of the polite thing to do with the soap when I leave tomorrow. Take it with me or leave it as extra in the bathroom Thank you
  6. Plastic wicker looks just like the real thing but is far more durable and MUCH easier to clean than teak. I try to find plastic wicker furniture that feels nice to sit on even without cushions, which a good design will because it flexes just a bit, and then also buy thick cushions for it that I bring in at night to avoid dew wetness. IME covers lead to mold or mildew. Once a year we move all the furniture to the basement, much easier than with teak because it is more lightweight, and then out again in late spring. We have stacking wicker chairs from Costco that have served us very well and were reasonably priced, and Portofino chaises with a little side table that I bought as a set from Costco online. And a dining table from Ikea that has not held up at all. It is acacia. Big mistake. Portofino was so comfortable IRL that I felt confident buying it online. Their cushions are quite nice and thick.
  7. She probably needs to put down someone to feel good. My dysfunctional relatives would do that to anyone other than their favorites. They would go for their easiest targets to put down and do that in a snarky or passive aggressive way. The best way to deal with my relatives was to totally ignore their presence or to “retaliate”. My relatives would find easier targets elsewhere though if we push back.
  8. I was recently having a conversation irl with a friend, and it made me think? I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't a universal answer. For example, would your kids ride the bus, or would you take them to school? Personally, our bus schedule is too inconsistent for me to trust them. There is a twenty minute window of when the buses go past our house. If the kids aren't outside waiting, the bus doesn't stop, regardless of the weather. I know a lot of parents who drive their kids to school because of this issue, and I know I would be one of them. By my calculations, that would cost me about $50 per month or $450 per school year. My curriculum budget is $450 now, so in that regard, I'm probably at least breaking even. However, we don't do any co-ops or anything like that (I don't count costs of extracurriculars as homeschooling costs because we would be paying them - or something similar - anyway). If we joined a co-op, that would certainly add costs because we have to pay both the fee and transportation costs. And, of course, if your kids would ride the bus, then gas costs aren't a factor. Another issue is food cost. It's $2.50 for a bottle of water at school. We have a well at home; in other words, water is free. Lunch is usually something like five chicken fingers, mashed potatoes, a whole wheat roll, and a small carton of 2% milk. It costs about $2-3 per day or $10-$15 per week for one meal. I can black beans, rice, salsa, shredded cheese, and a gallon of whole for $15. That can feed my whole family lunch for at least a week, and I would argue it's healthier at the same time. However, more expensive food choices, especially if a family chooses to eat out for lunch, would negate the savings or even cost more. And at the end of the day, if a family was eligible for free lunch, obviously, eating at home is an added cost. Of course, there are many other factors with regards to costs. I chose to highlight those factors because they can go so many ways. At the end of the day, I can safely say that homeschooling is less expensive that public schooling for my family. I can also say that as long as the costs of homeschooling are manageable, I don't think that would be deciding factor for us. But what about you? Is homeschooling more or less expensive for you? Is that a factor in your choice?
  9. My husband has two aunts that passed from cancer. His grandmother attended her daughter’s funeral for the first case. For the other aunt, his grandmother already had dementia when the aunt was diagnosed. I have a cousin (early 20s) that died in a house fire, one (early 20s) that died of leukemia, another (40s) died of heart attack. It is very hard on the parents and other relatives. One of my uncles (50s) died of heart attack while my grandmother was alive. I am 51 and my middle school classmates were discussing in our WhatsApp group about parents passing. Many of us have lost a parent while some have parents with dementia. The consensus was that the last 10 years of life is the most exhausting health wise for the person and their caregivers. It is worse for the caregivers (mentally and emotionally) if the person has dementia for a very long time.
  10. I would have liked the first graph “annual number of new cancers” to show further than 2020. It doesn’t seem the delayed diagnosis part of the equation would be likely to still be making a significant contribution for the last couple years. But I’m curious at what point the previous increasing curve resumed.
  11. I cannot find it but I think someone here mentioned the term sling fabric. I had never beard it before but this is what I have been trying so hard to find. Since using the term I am finding what I want
  12. I don't have a garage or any outdoor storage. Unless I bring them in and take them to the attic they would be stacked in living space. 😞
  13. I've got a lovely 4-day long weekend coming up, but no tennis scheduled. I guess I'll be doing lots of walking with the dogs. I may pull out my bike, as the weather is looking promising, but that could change by this afternoon! 😅
  14. I seriously cannot believe he was only 58yo when he was running for VP in 2000. He seemed "old" to me then. Now I compare EVERYONE to my current age (60yo)!
  15. Today
  16. Try Forta Flora for the loose stools. Although, rule out allergies, too. If you can’t seem to find any causes, Forta Flora may do the trick.
  17. That bridge is over a mile long. It would be hard to get back far enough to photograph the whole thing. I get why the video clips only show the collapsed part and why people think it’s the whole bridge, but there’s a lot more to that bridge.
  18. We're considering outsourcing a couple of subjects for our high schooler this year, and are wondering if any of you have had a good experience with FLVS Flex in math or science courses? FLVS isn't a consideration for humanities courses for us, but I am wondering if the advanced/AP math and science classes work well. Please share any experiences you may have!
  19. Fitbymik dumbbell workout this morning. Forgot to check that it was a standing dumbbell workout so I ended up on the floor which I try to avoid. I really can't do a sit up--mine were pretty ugly and I did about 1/3 of her count. Then I let my cat distract me out of the plank. Lots of rain here today. I have an airport run (~3-4 hours on the road) and I need to start doing some schoolwork. Most of my home project list has been checked off.
  20. Just for further clarification, my mom chooses to keep working. She could have retired a long time ago. She lives within two miles of where she works. She has been told she can come and go as she pleases and work when she wants. She considered going part time a few months ago. She decided to stay full time. She isn’t working herself terribly hard anymore, although she once did there. She really has been lucky that she has been in this situation, and continuing to work under the circumstances and conditions that she is working under is actually good for her, IMO. She would have quit long ago if she had really wanted to. She does the more unpleasant (but not strenuous) jobs there that my golden child brother will not or does not want to do.
  21. Four today! Regards, Kareni
  22. That's the bridge accident that I had in mind for reference. They're very different types of bridges but my first thought went to the Sunshine Skyway bridge accident.
  23. I have an 88yo aunt who constantly complains about how hard it is to get old but 1. She's in the early stages of dementia and repeats her age complaints all day long, and 2. She's always been a complainer. I don't remember a time in my life when Aunt *** didn't have something to complain about.
  24. This. She’s 81 years old and working full time. That’s exhausting. My dad’s that age and in relatively good health I can imagine him working full time and having energy left for much else. I think as people age they become somewhat of caricature of themselves. If she was always somewhat negative now she’s just more so. You need to let it go.
  1. Load more activity