Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Well, change of plans......just saw that the Quilt Festival class schedule is on line now for planning purposes......will be spending my afternoon looking at that, dreaming about classes, determining what I want to take in a dream world, and what I can afford to take in the real world.......
  3. Just my 2-/12 cents, for what it's worth (LOL!): A lot of these project ideas (in red) for a "drama as literature" class are ones that one would great in support a specific Theater credit, or a Fine Arts: Theater Appreciation credit -- rather than an English credit (which is what it sounds like you are shooting for, with a course title of "Plays as Literature"). In contrast, an English credit focuses on reading, discussing, analyzing, writing about works of Literature (plays included, of course), researching the author's background/times in which the author was writing, comparing with other authors/works, learning about topics in Literature (such as genres and genre conventions, major literary themes, literary elements, etc.). So I would first suggest deciding what kind of credit this will be (Theater-based or English-based), which will then help you more carefully narrow the scope to fit your focus. One thought: if your student loves Theater and all things theatrical, you might consider doing 2 complete credits: 1 credit of English: "Plays as Literature, and 1 credit of Fine Arts: Theater Appreciation. The 2 credits could work in tandem, covering many of the same plays, but in different ways. Wow -- overload! Way too many plays, if reading them all! 😵 I would probably suggest limiting it to just 8-9 plays total for reading/analyzing (that's one per month), and possibly WATCH a good film version of another 1-2 plays to go along with/compare/contrast the main play for the month -- and NOT do that EVERY month, maybe just every other month. So *just* watch (not read/analyze/dig into) another 4-8 plays at most, in addition to your 8-9 main plays. I'd suggest shooting for a chronological selection, or focus on a theme or similar idea that threads through all of the major plays you choose. Or, do all Shakespeare. Or all Shakespeare one semester, and then a potpourri of plays that were influenced by the Bard in the second semester. Or... you get the idea. 😉 In case it helps you narrow your list, these are the plays I most frequently see showing up in high school Literature programs -- meant as a list to CHOOSE from, NOT as a "do ALL of these" list, LOL! Shakespeare tragedies: Hamlet, Macbeth -- and less often: Romeo and Juliet comedies: A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night, The Tempest histories: Henry V, Julius Caesar Ancient Greek playwrights/plays: Sophocles: Oedipus the King -- and sometimes all 3 of the Oedipus cycle: Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone Aeschylus: Oresteia (trilogy of tragedies: Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides) Aristophanes: The Birds, The Frogs, The Clouds, The Wasps, Lysistrata Euripides: Medea, The Trojan Women -- Euripides is done less often by high schoolers UK playwrights/plays: Beckett: Waiting for Godot Shaw: Pygmalion Wilde: The Importance of Being Earnest American playwrights/plays: Hansberry: A Raisin in the Sun Miller: The Crucible, Death of a Salesman Wilder: Our Town Williams: The Glass Menagerie, Streetcar Named Desire musical plays to consider: Sunday in the Park With George West Side Story other plays I see less frequently, but that are solid options: anonymous: Everyman -- Medieval English morality play Christie (British): The Mousetrap -- murder mystery Eliot (American): Murder in the Cathedral -- drama; murder of Thomas Becket Gibson (American): The Miracle Worker -- autobiographical drama of Helen Keller & Annie Sullivan Hecht & McArthur: The Front Page -- screwball comedy Kesselring (American): Arsenic and Old Lace -- screwball comedy Rose (American): Twelve Angry Men -- drama Rostrand (French): Cyrano de Bergerac -- romance/tragedy Stoppard (British): Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead -- absurdist/existential -- often done with Hamlet classic plays probably more for college than for high school: Albee (American): Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? Chekov (Russian): Three Sisters, The Cherry Orchard Hellman (American): The Children's Hour; The Little Foxes Ibsen (Norweigan): A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler Marlowe (British): Doctor Faustus Moliere (French): The Miser, Tartuffe O'Neill (American): Long Day's Journey into Night Sarte (French): No Exit Simon (American): The Old Couple Wilson (American): Fences ideas for more resources: Drama: A Comprehensive Guide to Dramatic Elements and Style -- Walch Publishers How to Read and Write About Drama (Vena) "Must read plays?" -- an OLD thread, but some great ideas
  4. This is one thing that helped me when I had to self teach (largely) to move into a slightly different industry when I worked. For anything then or now, if I don't take extensive notes, it's like I never met the material- it just flies right out of my brain. It's takes a lot longer, but when I'm reading scientific lit for instance, I'll read through it once- or a short amount of it- and then I'll go back and read it again and take notes. If I REALLY want it to stick in my head, then I either have to tell someone about what I read pretty quickly after, or I have to type up a summary. I tried to do similar if it was a lecture or having a conversation with someone at work on something technical or complex- I'd take notes (when appropriate), and then afterward as soon as possible I would sit down and write a summary. I know I cannot cover the amount of material at the pace I did in my 20's and early 30's though. I had a brain like a trap, and I really do think having the kids has damaged it in some way. I joke with friends about it, but I have no doubts that my IQ and processing speed has taken a decent bit of a hit. Things I knew come back to me really fast, but I don't pick up new info like I used to be able to. Maybe it's taht I have more distractions now (or care less) but I really feel like it takes more effort now for me to focus and absorb new things.
  5. Took care of Cinnamon's body. That was difficult. Not only was her death totally unexpected, she was barely 1 year old so not a geriatric pet who had had a long and happy life. Though her short life was happy, I think.
  6. Done: Picked up some electric fencing around the garden. Sprayed some fencelines. Ran out of spray but really don't feel like finishing Tilled the garden Fed Chickens Cleaned kitchen. Need to do: Stretch Cut grass Want to do: Nap. Shower.
  7. Home from VBS. Frozen pizzas cooking in the oven. Going to make little bit (niece) at least take a nap after lunch, and suggest quiet activities for the big boys. Have thought more about the quilt and think I've figured out what I can do that will add to what I've done, still be cohesive to the quilt, and not just be extra for the sake of putting on extra. I'll start working on that this afternoon if the little one sleeps, if I can. If not, I do have the weekend and next week, and what I'm planning won't take too long to execute, so that's good. I knew if I sat on it long enough, it would come together. Our friends for dinner tonight postponed till Saturday, so need to figure out an option for tonight. The boys have youth group, niece will be with us, so DH may want to do something fun/special with her so she doesn't feel left out, but maybe we can limit that to snocones or something after dinner at the house so we aren't eating out so much. Need to do some tidying up as well, and consult DH about something to do with my mom and then email/text/call my mom and let her know our decision. Long story, but short version is she's asked me to come up and care for her when she gets her knee surgery scheduled, and her preferred date conflicts with something very important to me. She knows this and is asking for that date anyway. I've come up with a compromise, need to run it by DH and then let her know. We'll see how that goes. It's a fine line, setting boundaries and honoring our parents at the same time.
  8. That woman is coming to visit the week before the wedding. What timing. Her husband's sister lives down the street from us.
  9. Yeah, I've never dealt with a university in FL. My dds all attend public universities, but in the northeast, and all the schools they applied to were up here, as they didn't want too far away. That's so different from what I'm used to! I would also think a 'full-tuition scholarship' should pay for the standard number of credits/semester for a student to finish in 4 years. But heck, our state's 'full-tuition scholarship' only covers about 1/10th the cost of classes, because they took that amount aside ($950-$1700/year)and called it 'tuition' and called the rest of what everyone else would call tuition 'fees'. So ours is a joke...
  10. I don’t understand all the details of the OP situation but my ds is at a public university in FL and his tuition is charged per credit hour and his scholarship varies depending on how many hours he takes. ( He doesn’t get the max scholarship because he takes 15 instead of 18 hours). He also has to complete 30 hours with a 3.0 to renew his scholarship for the following year. My ds is out of state so he isn’t dealing with the state scholarship so I don’t know those details. But a little of this does make sense (though I would think a full tuition scholarship would pay for the full 15 hours)
  11. took care of the cat's bathroom took care of Cinnamon's body. That was difficult. Not only was her death totally unexpected, she was barely 1 year old so not a geriatric pet who had had a long and happy life. Though her short life was happy, I think.
  12. One of my friends wondered if all homeschoolers should take a sabbatical year around year 7 or 8 and put the kids in school for a year. I don't know if it has to do with kid's ages, because, for me, I wondered if it was that I had a 3 year old all the way through 11 year old and then the years of teaching reading plus entering high school. Whatever it was, I'm through it.:-)
  13. This confuses me - I've been assuming this is a regular 4-year university he'll be attending? I've never heard of one that charges extra by the class for classes taken during fall/spring semesters for a full-time student (unlike community colleges, which do charge by the class). At the schools I've seen it's usually one tuition rate for 12-18 credits (one of my dds has taken up to 21 with no extra cost). AND you need to take at least 15 credits/semester to graduate with the minimum number of credits (usually 120), so taking 12 credits/semester, while being the bare minimum to be considered a 'full-time student', would make most kids have to take an extra semester or two to finish, which would cost way more overall. The 15 credit thing for the scholarship is probably because that is the standard amount one has to take to finish on time. I realize this may not apply if he's coming in with DE credits, but that still shouldn't mean he has to pay extra for an extra class or two during the semester (or that he'll get some kind of a discount if he takes only 12 credits). Or are you saying he absolutely can't handle 5 classes at a time, and you'd be paying for them over the summer? If he doesn't need the 'extra' classes to finish his major, I'd consider having him take a 'fluff' class - something he wouldn't have to put a lot of brain energy into - during the semester to make the 15 credits rather than paying extra for them outside of the semester. There should be no extra cost to take 15 vs. 12 credits during the semester unless this school has a structure unlike any other I've ever heard of. I'm with everyone else that thinks that commute is too long. An extra class might take less out of him stamina-wise than 2.5 hours/day in traffic.
  14. The Newfy would be highly appropriate as my best friend always has one and a few chihuahua’s. I made her a chihuahua quilt for her birthday this year so I need to do newf’s for this Christmas. Still looking for a pattern I like. Glad you are enjoying China Bayles...I haven’t read the most recent ones. Maybe I will read one as part of next month’s spelling challenge. I’ve been reading a new to me cozy today called By Cook or by Crook by Maya Corrigan which is quite good, as in I still don’t know who did it. 😉
  15. Glad kitty is better! Really, with all the animals we've had, it's the eyes that tell you how sick they are.
  16. Another topsy turvy day because despite ds working on his cars for hours last night and thinking he had it fixed, he couldn't start it this morning. I talked to him on the way to dropping him off at work about how the greatest tests/ challenges of our Christian walk are these little daily frustrations that crop up. This was while hiding my own frustration (while acknowledging it to myself) because if I showed my frustration it would tip him into an Aspie meltdown. So. . . amazingly I am only a half hour behind schedule and have: dropped ds off at work (40 minutes of my time right there). talked to the vet's office about rabbit disposal options. It helped to talk it through with them though I'm going to handle it myself. human care is finally finished pet care is done. I did an extra check on Rusty and he's his normal cheerful self. medical care is done morning exercises are done got My Chart test results from one of my doctor's appointments from last week. Reviewed that. No surprises since we had reviewed it in the office but I wanted to google a couple of things just for better understanding. Read a Katy Bowman blog post.
  17. No, it was not a clinical trial. Just run-of-the mill cancer treatments. Routine surgery (routine for a gyn/onc, that is), cisplatin chemo ("light chemo" they called it), and targeted radiation. But it was a big teaching hospital/cancer center. And I did my training in a teaching hospital back in my 20's, so I was aware of what that meant - the good and the bad of it - since I was on the other side of it back then.
  18. Cats do this and not infrequently. Vets just call it Fever of Unknown Origin. You treat the symptoms and wait. So glad your kitteh is better. We just went through this with dh's fav cat.
  19. Laundry dinner walk--got in 12 miles yesterday get Eagle book picked up--we're on a deadline as the Scout ages out on the 3rd. get adult app picked up to (hopefully) transfer the guy to Adv Chair so (hopefully) get access to our troop records again! iron fabric get rodeo queen fringe dried water
  20. I think if this were happening in my family I would share with all of the family that you're worried about this as a possibility. But then again my family doesn't have a bunch of drama and narcissism, really just one mentally ill person who doesn't live within 500 miles of the rest of us, so only you know if discussing this with everyone would help or hurt the situation.
  21. Not hands on and not physics, but if you wanted to do some interdisciplinary work with chain reactions, here are some others to explore: Polymerase chain reaction Coagulation cascade Trophic cascade Domino theory Tipping point Cascading failure
  22. Anger, even anger at the deceased, is a normal stage of grief. Try not to get too upset at him for being angry until he's had time to process all of the grief and move into acceptance. Also in my nursing work, having watched many families make decisions to prolong the suffering of their parents because they weren't ready to let go of someone who was dying, it's typical. It's so common and so upsetting to medical personnel that's why hospitals push you to complete living wills any time you are admitted.
  23. Zydus is recalling specific Anastrozole lots. If your loved one is taking this (probably for estrogen+ breast cancer), do check with the list at the Zydus website or with the dispensing pharmacy to see if what your loved one was given is on the recall list.
  24. Today
  25. I also recommend cognitive behavioral therapy. The goal isn't talking about what embarrasses you. The goal is to learn to examine your thoughts, identify what is true and what is a lie, to take responsibility for the things you can control and let go of what you cannot control. There is a plan, homework, and an end date when you are done. It is NOT sitting around complaining about everything that's gone wrong in your life and finding new people to be angry at. To my knowledge it is the most effective therapy for something like depression or anxiety.
  1. Load more activity