Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Would you all please pray for a friend of mine, Missi? She has a syndrome called Adult Cyclical Vomiting, and every 2-3 weeks she has a few days of nausea and vomiting. It hit this week while her husband has been traveling. He called me this morning to see if I could sit with her, but I have students all day. He did have someone else to call and is on his way home from Florida. Thank you!! I have met with 2 students this morning, and I have 3 more to go. The pest service guy is coming this afternoon, so I want to tidy up a few areas. Dh works at the charter school tonight, so I'm on my own for the evening.
  3. NM NC ND NE NH NJ NV NY Why does New Mexico get all the love? Regards, Kareni
  4. Team four for me, but my husband is very pleased with his two! Regards, Kareni
  5. 20 min fitbymik dumbbell workout this morning. Been awake since 3:30--sleep is not getting better. Stress is back as schedule is still not set, some not happy with it. More conferences today--yesterday's went well with more than a few parents letting me know that their kid says I'm a great teacher or math is their favorite class--needed to hear that. Not getting caught up on piles of schoolwork with all of the drama still going on.
  6. Wordle 1,034 4/6 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨 ⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  7. If you haven't checked ferritin I would check that. I think that's the one that is stored iron and my dd has a problem with it being low and causing the fatigue thing. And she's been on iron over a year now with it a little better, but it's not like the level comes into much of a healthy range. This does not at all cover everything your dd is going through, but especially if she's had a lot of bleeding I would be curious where it's at. Does she run? Most of my dd's running friends deal with low iron issues.
  8. When I had an active music studio, my policy was that lessons were paid for a month at a time, and then unless it was an emergency, no notice flake outs did not get a make up lesson, and if a child came to me with symptoms of being sick, the parent would have to take them home, no make up. I did not allow drop and run. Parents had to stay in the waiting room or in their cars. If they did not observe the policy, there was a three strikes and out penalty that kicked in. Flaky parents could petition to restart lessons but only if they were willing to pay tuition a semester at a time after that. I was VERY kind to people who had emergencies, disabled children - one of my students had a sibling with cancer so I always refunded money when medical appointments made it impossible to make lessons that week because I knew who important it was for the student to continue with lessons if possible just for a sense of normalcy. I also had a policy that if parents talked about their financial arrangements with me, there would be some reckoning. I always offered 3 scholarships per semester, and it wasn't anyone else's business who got them. It was all spelled out in a business contract that outlined parent responsibilities, instructor responsibilities, and student responsibility. This was signed before they could take the first lesson. I had a waiting list of 30 students hoping to get a spot at one point, so it was common knowledge that if the parent was flaky, they might end up out of the studio because there were plenty of kids waiting in the wings. I didn't like being hard nosed. But what so found out was that if I wasn't, I would just be taken advantage of all the time by a certain subset of parents, and their children wouldn't make progress because the role model of lack of priority of lessons over just another anything else. "Susie got invited to a play date so we forgot." Nope. Bye bye.
  9. Feel better, @ScoutTN! I hope the cold leaves soon! My day today -- ...coffee ...make sure everything is ready for the class expo tonight ...school prep for Monday ...start fusing the figures to the quilt top ...get a nap! ...make sure everyone else is doing everything they are supposed to be doing ...go tutor this afternoon (unless the mom comes to her senses & cancels - yesterday was a disaster! All the girls could think about was leaving to go see the new baby & mom at the hospital....) ...drop DH off at a Starbucks, so a friend can pick him up for fencing ...go to my class expo ...go to fencing for the afterwards hang-out ...come home, collapse into bed Hopefully the day is more restful than I think....:yawn:
  10. Today
  11. I have quite the potty mouth. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it - it just is. However, I'm actually careful about my audience when I do use profanity and I wouldn't put any of those words on a sign outside (or even inside) my house, on a tee shirt, etc. I'm right there judging with you.
  12. If he is getting all As, why not back off and let him manage his work the way he sees fit? Real natural consequences (those imposed by the world and not made up by Mom) are far better teachers than a parent could ever be.
  13. Charging the same whether kids show up or not is in my experience the rule not the exception for most private music studios-- there's a set monthly fee, paid in advance, that reserves your lesson time every week--meaning the teacher can't schedule another student in that slot and you are paying for the teacher's reserved time whether you use it or not. That's not a draconian policy, it's industry standard in professional music teacher circles. Makes perfect sense too.
  14. There was a video in my Facebook feed a while ago about a person who found an abandoned kitten in the snow. It was so little and so sweet. It was a few weeks before they realized it was a Bob cat. Krissi, make sure it's not a Bob cat. They did keep the Bob cat. At that point you're kinda stuck.
  15. @ScoutTN, I'm sorry you are sick! I didn't see your thread and started one. 🤦‍♀️
  16. That sounds miserable 😞 hugs
  17. Oh, tick illnesses and lupus. Doh that should have occurred to me. Hmm. I have a SIL dealing with this but it didn't occur to me. Great tip on the rubber bands. We are working on the electrolytes but keeping track of it is a challenge. I don't see a correlation with the B vitamins and any issues. Her appointment with the GP is on Monday. WE'll see what all I can get her to test!
  18. Our piano teacher offers zoom lessons as a way to combat showing up sick. I think it works well. We’ve used it when things are a bit on the fence. She also charges the same amount regardless of whether you make all of your lessons. She does help parents connect with each other to switch. We’ve missed more than I would like this year due to other activities but I know that’s on us, so it’s fair to me.
  19. @Eos sorry to hear about the trauma your dd experienced. Mine had a similar experience in the fall. She was able to switch rooms over the semester break, whew. I agree with your mystification about spending so much money to attend a college or send your child to a college, when they are not interested in getting much out of it.
  20. Starr

Wordle

Wordle 1,034 4/6 🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  21. It hit in my area in November and December. There was an 18 hour plus wait in the children’s hospital ER for a bit there. We knew a couple of kids who spent weeks in the hospital with it. It’s been a rough season.
  22. @ScoutTN So sorry you are feeling so awful. I hope you feel better soon.
  23. I’ve had at least one kid home sick for the past few weeks with croup/parainfluenza. And DH had to return to office so the logistics of making feverish kids get up & dressed & do dropoff/pickup have been interesting. This morning’s news said the children’s hospital is so full with respiratory viruses (RSV & croup) they’re diverting ambulances. Which really puts my crappy attitude into perspective. Only my youngest needed medical attention, a single dose of steroids in urgent care. Everyone else is just crabby. Are the hospitals full where you are?
  1. Load more activity