Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Books: To Kill a Mockingbird -- amazing writing, powerful and sweet story First They Killed My Father -- Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime; awful, gripping, eye-opening All of the L.M. Montgomery books -- she captures the nuances and idiosyncrasies of people and tells a good story Left to Tell; Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculée Ilibagiza; more powerful than words Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng; cultural revolution in China Journey Through the Night by Anne DeVries; Dutch resistance in WW II Educated, A Memoir, by Tara Westover; the story is powerful, her writing is lyrical Fahrenheit 451 The Last Book in the Universe -- not the type of book I would usually read, so I was pleasantly surprised Movies It's a Wonderful Life -- makes me cry every. time. Schindler's List I'll probably think of more later. 🙂
  3. The sinuses are normally empty. So that the MRI Scan will show if any of them are 'full'? The scan can also help identify the 'cause'. Then a plan to treat it can be started.
  4. For reference, something similar happened to my brother. He started work at Starbucks (programming) and then a job that he had previously been turned down for was offered to him. After a week at Starbucks (not terrible, but not as attractive as the other job) he quit. He was on probabation and could quit with no notice. He's not a confrontational person and really hated to do it, but it was the right move. He's still at the other company around ten years later.
  5. Fresh peas just picked - raw; good crisp apples; shrimp/prawn; cherries; fresh lichees; cashews - actually most nuts.
  6. I feel as if I'm missing a reference. Why would coots and snipe not be real?
  7. French fries Chex snack mix Lots of other crunchy, salty foods
  8. I would make summer a long, relaxed break. In order to get excited about next school yr, I would let her choose subjects she wants to study and make it fun, light, and interest-driven. She is about the same age as my 3rd grader. To give an idea of what I am contemplating for 4th---a yr designed around the Chronicles of Narnia. If we go that route, we'll read the series and study British history and WW2 (and whatever rabbit trails that come up along the way......)Science will be whatever books that chooses (right now she is into bugs, so we are reading https://www.amazon.com/Stink-Bugs-Stick-Insects-Beetles/dp/047135712X (she loves this book.) Writing can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn't have to be a curriculum. It can be fiction writing or whatever she enjoys.
  9. Today
  10. My kids have asked Jr yr. in terms of how many, 2 teacher recommendations seems pretty standard. If your ds has other outside teachers, you might want to get 1 more academic LOR in addition to the English teacher, making 2 academic and 1 community leader.
  11. Insomnia. Woke up at three wide-awake. I guess that means it's time to write.
  12. For math, you could just try changing things up in a simple enough way that it might make it more fun. For long division, working out a problem on a dry erase board with different colored markers or on graph paper with colored pens might help. Some people do that for kids who are struggling with what they are doing. I sometime let my Dd do that bc she is artsy and she thinks it fun. She doodles faces in her numbers, too. I don't care as long as the math is correct. 😋 colored pencils in the math book would be another option. Be silly and tell them to start at the end of the lesson and do the lesson backward toward the beginning. Photocopy the lesson and have a race (you have to do 2 problems for their every 1). Close the math book and play math games instead. Play math war with a deck of cards. Each of you flip up 2 cards instead of 1. Use the cards for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions......whatever you want. They have to tell you the answer and the highest value wins the card. Play 24 (my kids love 24). Sometimes just doing something different for a day or 2 makes going back to routine easier or at least more palatable. The simplest thing I have done that makes our days go better is be 100% present. Sitting beside them while they work and asking them questions to keep them on task makes them be able to focus and just get things done. So for the long division problems, it might be as simple as, "ok, so what do you do next? Ok, what is that answer? Now what?" Etc. If I ask them if I sit there with them, can they do all the problems in 10 mins (or whatever) usually they can. Sometimes making them sit there and endure it for hrs by themself might be the answer (if it is a roiling huge temper tantrum and their attitude is belligerence vs anything else), but that would be my last preference. I don't want math to be the battle or the issue when the real issue is an underlying behavior. I try to remember they are just little people and sometimes they just need encouragement when their behaviors are actually out of line with what is expected. I do have 1 child who is lazy to the core. She would complain about anything that took effort. With her, giving her more work was the best solution bc by having more work, it made her complain less when she realized how easy it had been. But, she is the only one I ever took that approach with. (And this is a personality issue she still struggles with. She is my Jr and the only college she wants to apply to is the one she can commute to. The path of least resistance is her constant go-to.)
  13. I vote emails. Thank you notes are the worst ever. Email makes short work of the things.
  14. This guy is good. He does use meat and dairy/eggs occasionally, but a lot of his recipes have none of those. They are all interesting and satisfying: https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes How about this with vegan yoghurt: https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/apricot-squash-and-chickpea-tagine or this without the optional parmesan: https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/butternut-squash-risotto-with-asparagus-and-mint or this: https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/roasted-turmeric-cauliflower-with-smokey-puy-lentils
  15. Very interesting. She recently switched to a natural deodorant.
  16. Veg chili-https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2016/01/28/crock-pot-sweet-potato-chili/ Maybe a roasted squash with quinoa type filling?
  17. Maybe lactose intolerance, if you eat dairy products? The timing with the antibiotics could be a red herring. Frequent abdominal pain can be a variety, ranging from infection (like H pylori), allergies, celiac, etc. Idk about systemic antibiotics and abdominal pain causes. Girls at that age can sometimes develop ovarian cysts and such as well as they develop, but it would depend on location of pain and her development. Abdominal migraines are also a very painful disease. I will caution an urgent care diagnoses as they tend to just make sure it’s not an emergency. If this has been going on for six months, the pediatrician could screen for a lot of allergies and infections, and send you to a pediatric gastroenterologist. Unfortunately, abdominal pain can have so many causes that it tends to be a step wise approach in going through a long list of what is most common, seeing if it’s that, then checking for next most coming, seeing if it’s that, etc.
  18. I like HOE problems on the link you sent. My daughter has solved for unknowns in Abeka, but that is something that hasn't been reviewed in a long time, so that would be great for her. Yes, that is ok. Thanks 😄 I deleted other stuff out now. I just am trying to be general in my personal descriptions, after reading creepy privacy post on chat board awhile back. I'm not exactly sure what the "other way" is, but it is my impression that they don't seem to use a simple, straightforward method and unnecessarily complicate problem solving. I remember when I looked at SM, I actually did borrow a copy of level 1 and flipped through it. I don't recall the problems, but was just a general impression. I did look more thoroughly at BA samples since starting this post, instead of just the Table of Contents. Though the topics seem the same as what my daughter is doing in grade 4, the methods are different enough that I think it may be difficult jump into 5A, though I think she might pass the 5A assessment. I didn't really like some of the problems I saw. When seeing only a small part of the program, it is hard to get the big picture and know if what I think is a ridiculous, impractical problem is some stepping stone in their method. I will print out the placement tests to see how they would place. We did not have a great day. I posted above that we are on lesson 150. Ugh, then I opened the math book, and we are only on 140. I guess my mind added 10 over the weekend. I really wanted to finish with this before Memorial Day because we have a vacation planned, but we won't be done. Today, my daughter had a couple pages of math that I hadn't graded. Some of the problems, she works halfway correctly, then just quits them, or skips things, typically this is just the long division or multiplication. She also rarely does the problem checking (except on tests), and I don't ask about it because I know it just makes it longer. She is just tired of the length of the worksheets. I had her complete everything and correct anything wrong on the last 2 worksheets, plus today's and she was working until after 5. We did get started very late today because we had to record music auditions, but it was just a struggle to stay on topic with anyone for anything. I kept warning the kids that if they didn't get to work, they would have to stay inside and finish, so I had to follow through on it. She was probably only outside 20 min later than her brother, but she was not happy about it. This day was probably also hard after a busy holiday weekend... worse Monday than usual. I hope tomorrow is better. Tomorrow's forecast is rain so threats of staying inside will not work. I did tell my daughter that if she completes half of the division correctly, I can cross out the others from her worksheets. She liked that. Also, tonight before bed, I told her that I know she doesn't like working math problems but it is like music and needs to be practiced to be proficient. And I told her I was looking for a math book that was more fun. She seemed encouraged by our talk. She is a people pleaser so is usually quite motivated to do a good job, but she is getting tired of her math. She is young for her grade anyway, so she would be grade 3 if born a month later, so I guess it may be natural that she is challenged with the length of lessons at grade 4. I think, why am I changing so much of the curricula? Am I having some equivalent to a mid-life crisis but a mid-schooling crisis and I'm craving change? But I really think change is needed for us in a lot of places. LA absolutely needs a change and I think I would like a change for math. I thought LA would be the harder decision so have been working on it for months, but math is tricky too. At least BA and MM are very inexpensive to try just one volume level. I'm ready to be refreshed and try something new and fun, and I think the children need something to captivate them right now, especially as we switch to year round schooling.
  19. I'm headed out to check cows. We lost the porch calf today, but mom appears to be letting the bull calf of the other set of twins nurse, so for now, she's bought herself a reprieve. I hope so--really don't want bottle babies all summer. The Scouts changed their camping trip to the ranch, rather than a longer trip, so we can clean out the last of the piles and get them to the new cache. So, dh can't haul the cow to the sale yard anyway. I meet with a Scout tomorrow at 1:00. I told him if he didn't have his homework done, I'm finished. I'm tired of him driving to fake his way through. His dad was surprised to see just how much is involved in one of these merit badges. And then, at 4:30, dh and I head to down valley for a negotiation with Denver Council. I hope dinner is good, as it's not going to be a fun time. Dd has the cows for the evening.
  20. I find it at places like Organic Co-ops but also at our local Raleys. It goes also by the name of Panela in some areas. Here I find it mostly as Rapadura or Organic Cane Sugar. Sucanat is supposed to have undergone a similar process. I think Amazon carries it as well if you cannot find it locally. Not to be confused with turbinado sugar even though the color is similar.
  21. Sorry I'm not quoting the right person, but wanted to say I probably mis-spoke in my initial post: I don't know that Dr. Mew, who is sort of spear-heading this, though he is not alone, ever said ALL dental malocclusion is caused by poor tongue posture. What he focuses on, almost exclusively, is the narrowing of the jaws and palate caused by poor tongue posture, and reversing that, generally in kids in the ages 6-8 range. He has lots of videos that also show progress for adults who change tongue posture well after growing has ended. He regularly uses expansion appliances and tongue trainers and other things besides just tongue position to reverse the damage, but encourages parents of small children to train their kids in proper tongue position from an early age in the hopes of avoiding intervention later. He doesn't claim either that tongue posture ALONE can fix things, just that without fixing tongue posture, orthodontics are unhelpful because relapse is usually inevitable. He recommends expansion and protraction, which is the opposite of the orthodony that was in practice when I was a kid, which uses extraction and retraction techniques to "make room" in mouths that are too small. His focus is to enlarge the mouth through expansion of the jaw and palate, rather than remove teeth because the mouth is too small. Removing teeth encourages further collapse of the maxilla and retraction of the mandible, leading to reduced airway space, more mouthbreathing, etc, etc. I realize it's really controversial and I'm not saying this guy is 100% right. But he's convinced me that addressing my own mouth breathing and that of my kids has to become a priority. I'm repairing my deviated septum and doing constant tongue exercises for myself and looking into the myobrace mouthguards for the kids. The hardest part really is addressing and adequately treating the cause of mouth-breathing. It can be a learned trait (mom mouth breaths, so child imitates) or caused by nasal congestion from inflammation, allergies, frequent illness, etc. As the child mouth breaths and tongue posture drops down, the maxilla loses the stimulation it needs to widen and advance in the face, further narrowing the airway, leading to a greater need to mouth breath- a vicious cycle. Anyway, I'm not giving any sort of advice, just fascinated by this alternate narrative to the extraction/retraction methods of my youth that are still quite often in practice today.
  22. I lost Juliet tonight. We could hear her whining but could not find her anywhere outside or in. I was starting to really panic and then dd found her stuck in the water heater closet. . . Silly old bear. . . I mean, silly young dog.
  23. school dentist for me this time work on fence demolition? more laundry
  24. This AoPS article Math Competitions When You’re Not Competitive April 17, 2019 by Sarah Trebat-Leder explains the social gathering aspect that my kids enjoy from participating in AMCs even though they don’t expect to do well. The entire article is a fun read. https://artofproblemsolving.com/news/articles/math-competitions-when-youre-not-competitive “My main reasons for participating in ARML were that I enjoyed working on the challenging problems and liked being around other people who were into math. And of course, the trip to Penn State was a big plus. We got to play Mafia on the bus, spend the night in a college dorm room, eat as much ice cream as we wanted from Penn State’s creamery in the dining hall (Penn State has their own creamery, so it was especially good ice cream), stay up late trying to play Mao, and laugh over each other’s ridiculously nerdy entries in the song contest. I even got to meet up again with friends I’d made at HCSSiM (the Hampshire College Summer Studies in Mathematics). I knew that I didn’t really care how well I did—my goal was to be part of the community of math enthusiasts. So I ignored the playbooks and the solutions packets. I attended the weekly practices but didn’t do any of the extra preparation that was expected of us. ... What are my concerns about math competitions? Mostly, I worry that many competitions emphasize the wrong things about math. If your sole experience of math is through math competitions, you’ll think that math is about solving problems quickly, without using any resources or consulting any colleagues, all in a high-pressure setting. In fact, math competitions are almost the exact opposite of the research math I’ve worked on as an adult. Professional mathematicians can often spend months or years working on a single problem! They use that time to read up on all the literature, talk about it with others, try out ideas that don’t end up working (but can teach them something important), and get stuck for long periods of time. After all, mathematics is more than just solving the problems you’re given. It’s just as important to learn how to ask good questions. I worry that math competitions make it too easy for kids to think that being good at math competitions is the same as being good at math, because that’s just not the case. But at the Same Time, I Love Math Competitions And why do I love math competitions? Because, as a student, they were my first exposure to interesting, challenging problems. As a coach, too, I’ve seen plenty of students get excited about problems while taking part in math competitions. Some of the most valuable competitions ask students to write proofs, work together with their teammates, or think deeply about just a handful of problems. Competitions like these provide an environment where students are surrounded by peers who also like math. Think of it this way: kids who love basketball can join a basketball team to deepen their mastery of the sport and spend a lot of time connecting with like-minded players. Math competitions can play the same kind of role for kids who love solving math problems. Of course, other math enrichment activities, like summer camps and math circles, can have the same benefits without the competitive aspect. But hey, some kids thrive on competition! Which path is the right one? It’s personal. Any math competition that students enjoy is a good one. Does it allow for building friendships, learning new things, and having fun experiences surrounded by math? Then it’s a good thing! And if you’re a student who really wants to win, check out AoPS’s Alcumus, For the Win! and MATHCOUNTS Trainer, and other resources. Just try to avoid putting too much pressure on winning. Like in sports, the desire to win is a strong motivator, up to a point, but can become overwhelming past that point. Even if you’re a less competitive person by nature, like I was, math competitions are still a great place to make friends and learn new skills. I’m glad that my experience with ARML back in high school made room for both kinds of students.”
  25. Monterery Jack cheese is very good when mixed in with other cheese for something where you want it to melt nicely. When I make macaroni and cheese I do a simple 2:2:1 ratio of MJ, cheddar, and cream cheese, or when I make quesadillas I do half and half with cheddar. But it's possible that what you get in Australia is not what we produce over here in the US.
  1. Load more activity