Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. This one looks so cute! I want it just for the music options: Japanese pop song and Chinese folk music? Plus Kenny G and French music; cannon or birdsong. What a variety! That would just make me smile and laugh every morning. 😉
  3. For the reason you mentioned, I tend to go with pdf books. One of the reasons I gave up the Writing and Rhetoric series was the format of the book. I always had to cut the spine off and there was no good way of turning in the work without taking the whole book or writing it elsewhere. Or making a copy. Huge pain for a co-op situation or classroom.
  4. I shaved my head when I was about 18 or 19. And then again at 20. Honestly it was partially a way for me to reduce unwanted sexual advances. It grows back.
  5. Sounds like a very wise decision. That is wonderful you'll be able to finish up your certificate! Congratulations!! So sorry that all the health issues came up so suddenly. Hope the new job is going well.
  6. Terabith

Blah.

And....now I’m coughing up a lung. I feel like a ball of misery and germs. And I know in the scheme of things I am incredibly lucky. But I just feel SO bad right now.
  7. I forgot to mention that I also got in a wonderful hike yesterday, in between bike rides and tennis. The hike was so relaxing and mentally theraputic for me. I'm so fortunate to have several hiking areas within a 10 min drive. This one in particular is especially great because it has a couple very small lakes that are completely "wild." No one uses them except water fowl and other small creatures. The Canada geese were very vocal and plentiful on the lake yesterday, so I just sat on a rock in the sun and watched them do their thing. It sounded like some bullying was going on between a few of them, as suddenly 3 or 4 flew away about 20 feet only to land again on the water and resume honking. They are pretty funny. I prefer watching loons as they are more interesting with their diving, and their calls send shivers through my body.
  8. Tuesday was a field trip to a museum. I got in walking/stairs from that and errands. Nothing real major but I was too busy for more. I know I went up/down more than 2 flights. Yeah don’t totally rely on the apps lol Better if my phone underestimates though I guess.
  9. Good job, ladies. Money isn’t great but I’ve been happy with a lot of things I’ve found. I hit up the Dollar Tree bread again. Name brands with reduced prices. My freezer is stocked. I plan to make French toast with some of the Texas toast I bought. I’ve been building up ibotta credit. Tomorrow if I’m not rushed I’ll do some Shopkick on my phone. I have a lot of driving this month. I can’t afford the $100+ literacy conference in November but I did attend a free one this past week (Friday & Saturday). I spent money on gas of course but I got free info, free lunches, and free items (books and some other materials). I was really pleased. I paid the sitter Friday but she is generous with her rates. We went to homeschool day at a museum Tuesday. Well the gas cost and our travel food wasn’t enough so we went through a drive through but at least admission to the museum was free. We had a great time. I bought Ds a polo shirt on The Children’s Place that is ready for pick up. It was on sale, I shopped through ibotta, and delayed pick up (kinda like Amazon no rush) knocked 5% off so I spent less than $5 for a new church top. I might have already posted about it. We’re trying to see what we can take to consignment since we’re eating out with a friend on Thursday. We’re meeting her at a restaurant by her work/ds’ English class on her lunch break. Any money we make at consignment will help offset the restaurant bill. I’ve been FB friends with her like a year or so but we’ve never met IRL. I wish stock up trips worked better for me. Maybe I could try buying 2 tubs of yogurt at a time at Sam’s? I worry about fridge space sometimes.
  10. Remember I kept trying to take a class? And they would get canceled or I couldn’t attend because of dh’s work schedule/childcare? A library ~40 min. away is doing a 4 week course (once a week). It’s taken almost a year for the stars to align.
  11. Thank you notes are so rare these days--it will make an excellent impression, either way, to send them.
  12. Thanks all. Corraleno --yes, it brings up fear that is part of what we went thru, sort of residual stuff, iykwim. I thought she was ok and we had done pretty well w her throughout her childhood (for those that haven't been here forever, we have substance abuse issues in our family and dd has lived thru that since she was 5). But I am feeling like a crappy parent yet again (and no, I don't need more reassuring lol). regentrude, you are right in that it is never just about the hair. It is very interesting how my "sub"culture puts emphasis on women's hair. But there is more going on. I didn't want this child to be in pain after seeing the pain of my other ones. Like Please God, not her, too. That is life, though. It is just hard, esp being 5500 miles away.
  13. Today
  14. My 9th grader is taking college calc 1 , with very little difficulty. The kid is strong in math, likes it, and kills standard tests. But, I have avoided AOPS because he is no Einstein. Since we are using a standard calculus text, we are about to use a group tutor (10 students) for $13/hr. From what I understand about AOPS calculus, it is about college level, but has it is its own process and way of thinking. I suspect you are going to need someone who has gone through AOPS calculus. Otherwise, a good part of your money is going to be wasted on that person working the problem out the AOPS way as well. Does AOPS have a message board? Maybe, you could find someone there.
  15. Back when I was Catholic, I knew a priest who would say things about Catholics being poor. I remembered thinking he was deluded. The Anglo Catholic Church is pretty upper middle class now; at least when you consider people who attend Mass regularly. I remember a debate on an Orthodox forum about charging for Sunday school. The former Evangelicals were shocked that a church would charge for Sunday school. I was shocked that a church WOULDN'T charge for Sunday school. But someone made a point I hadn't considered - apparently CCD (or whatever they call it today - Faith Formation?) fees are a sore point for some Catholics because it can add up, especially if the family is one of the few that follows the birth control rules. This person contended that fees for things like CCD make non middle class Catholics feel unwelcome in their church. My daughter attended Catholic school for 3 years and it was clear that her classmates were exposed to a lot of right wing news. She was at this school during the 2016 election. She told me that Hillary Clinton was going to kill a disabled student at the school. She said that Clinton was going to kill all of the babies. She didn't understand that one and wanted to know what that meant. She was in 1st grade at the time. These are things she heard from other kids. She was told by these kids that voting for Clinton meant you wanted to kill babies. The school principal and other parents shared on their FB feed a sermon where a priest said that you shouldn't go to communion if you vote for HRC. That's Catholic America today, at least in my observation. Extremely partisan and hostile to anyone with a different opinion. Orthodoxy is a lot less partisan than Catholicism. I've never heard an Orthodox priest preach about who you should vote for. Orthodox laypeople are a different matter. In my observation, they fall into a few different groups. There are the ethnic Orthodox and they tend to vote Democratic. The ex-Evangelical Orthodox vote GOP. The hipster Orthodox range. If they're young, they're likely to be on the fringes politically. Sometimes libertarian or even communist.
  16. AM exercise (walk/run) School drop off counseling for younger son then school drop off One audit prep, one tax form, two reconciliations and a partridge in a pear tree One new client proposal school pick ups (early release day) handwriting and math practice for younger son dinner 30 minutes cleaning some laundry
  17. I wish every damn thing for my boys was sized like men’s pants and dress shirts... waist x inseam with various fits from skinny to relaxed neck and arm measurement with various fits from slim to husky or whatever term people want to use. Chest measurement range for casual shirts. Much easier than trying to figure out the actual sizes of something marked XXL or 10-12 or 12-14 or 16 whatever. Now that I am out of the woods with the 16 year old, we get to start all over again with the 10 year old. And just for funsies, despite having near identical faces and both being tall, they have very different builds so what worked for the older is not just ready to replicate for the 10 year old. My older son is all arms and legs and super skinny. My younger son has a more average build. Maybe that will be easier?
  18. Terabith

Blah.

Yeah, no asthma or underlying condition. Nothing to be concerned about. I just feel awful. Tired, achy, sore throat, headache, queasy, lethargic. I feel like staying in bed but I don’t really feel like reading or watching tv or catching up on anything. I just hurt. My skin hurts. My eyes hurt. I feel badly enough that I’m not sure I can safely drive my kids around the city to places they need to go.
  19. Nice post. At 22, I was also married for a year and had a baby on the way who arrived just shy of my 23rd birthday. My high school aged brother lived with me and not with our parents from the time I was not yet 19-22ish. I’d worked steadily for 10 years and been out on my own while also providing financial support for my parents at times. I was simultaneously still growing up. I was closer to a child in so many ways. I had some needlessly terse interactions with my MIL. I was so direct and matter of fact that at times I had made multiple college students who asked me for help and at least one assistant at my office cry. I still wince when I think of that. I was hopelessly flawed (and remain so in different ways). I was also hard working, a diligent student and very generous with both my time and money. I was much loved by my husband and friends. Good and bad traits exist simultaneously in the same people.
  20. Coffee as usual trash out--trash day laundry as usual walk, and walk some more. Didn't quite get 13 miles in on Tuesday, but I did have a nice walk with a new Scout mom call ds back--he called but I couldn't talk as I was walking with the new Scout mom make decision about going over to Denver for Camporee--need to ask niece if I can stay Saturday night too text dd--she's having a rough time with the cadet who was killed talk to sil is he's back from Colombia about this weekend and have a veerrryyy long discussion with district chair. I've been asked to take over as the district advancement chair for BOTH districts as we're merging. It means I'll have a bunch of people to help me, but it's a bunch of people to keep track of and all the other stuff that will pop up...
  21. Hello, Earthmerlin. I don't know those programs to learn French. I used Yabisí Español Santillana for two years because I was able to buy them online and receive them in the US by mail. We used them slowly, skipping a few sections in every chapter. Unfortunately, I discovered them too late; because of that, my son's interest level didn't match its lessons, so I decided to stop using the program. We sometimes used the Mexican books published by the Secretaría de Educación Pública (SEP), which are available online for free and include "Español", "Lecturas", Math, History, Science, P.E., and Art for every grade, The vocabulary in "Lecturas" was too advanced for my son, so I read some parts aloud, and he read the shorter and easier sections aloud. We used Singapur Math until 5th. grade, then Beast Academy, and now AoPS. We read the text and numbers in English and always discuss in Spanish how to solve the exercises, so my son's Math Vocabulary is still richer in Spanish than in English. He even memorized the multiplication tables in Spanish. I didn't find a way to teach him spelling in Spanish, and thought that studying Latin would cover grammar, vocabulary, and spelling in two languages (and several more). I read aloud fiction and non-fiction almost every day, and ask him to read aloud simpler texts. He reads very well in Spanish but is faster in English, so he prefers reading novels in English. I will keep trying. If you find a good way to teach spelling, please let me know. Some copy work and dictation may be enough, plus reading aloud to your child and asking him/her to read aloud and write with some frequency.
  22. @Farrar, @Corraleno and @happysmileylady I want to say that I agree with all of you to a large degree, even though it’s conflicting opinions. 1. We all get venting. 2. We all also presumably get that language matters and flipping the script can help change the feelings or even help one self regulate their reactions and emotions in a more healthy way. These things are not unable to co-exist.
  23. Random information: I’ve noticed a sharp drop off in weekend banking for both in person and live phone banking hours. Mobile deposits have all but wiped out bank tellers here. My clients use 10 different banks, a mix of national and regional names and a smattering of CUs. Most do not have tellers. Weekend hours were a selling point for banks when people needed cash for the weekend. Even after ATMs, banks could add value but staying open on weekends for initiating loans but now so much of that is handled online. Saturday hours aren’t unheard of, but they don’t seem to be the big thing anymore.
  24. More than your bank, it depends on your account and factors like average daily balance and history with the bank. My brother and I use the exact same credit union. For various reasons, primarily average daily balance and longevity of the account, a larger portion of my mobile check deposits are made immediately available to me than they are to him + I have daily max on my check card that is 10x his. I would hazard to guess that the middle aged middle class moms on this board have higher limits than the average 22 year old.
  1. Load more activity