Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I have found the candles that have the flat flame to be the most realistic. They are pricey. The color is good and they have a realistic flicker. I have these and am very pleased with them.
  3. SKL

Wordle

2 again today. I now have an incredibly long streak of 2 wins. 😛
  4. This is our 9th year outsourcing with Veritas for our family and we have been pleased with all the courses and curriculum. My youngest daughter is currently finishing Grammar & Writing Transition and Physical Science live courses with VP. The classes are rigorous and challenging but so worth it. She has grown tremendously academically in her ability to write papers and formal lab reports. She is enrolled for 4 live classes next school year, Comp I, Biology, Latin II, and Omni I Primary.
  5. Today
  6. They like reading (but we do that all year), going to shows (we do that a lot on weekends), going to new places, walking around cities/ downtown, meeting new people and being given the opportunity to do new things even though they usually can’t tolerate doing it.
  7. I’m not familiar with Texas accents, but I suspect, for non-Texan listeners, it’s a lot like a NY accent. NY has many different accents. A listener might not be able to distinguish between Brooklyn and Staten Island, but they could peg NY in general. (Disclaimer: I don’t know if a Brooklyn accent is still a thing with the population shift. I’m often stuck in the 90s.). Of course that doesn’t account for every. single. person. in an area.
  8. Wordle 1,041 4/6 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨 🟩🟨🟨🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  9. I've used both MUS and CLE with different kids. You can absolutely use a supplement with MUS. We used Bedtime Math (young years), printouts from online, and I keep Singapore Challenging Math Problems on my shelf to use with any kid for extra work. One of the reasons why I like MUS so much for kids is it is one of the few that uses arrays and visual math all the way through AND has a 4-part lesson set up: demonstrate, do, write, teach back. The material is demonstrated satisfactorily for a parent to be able to understand exactly what their child needs to do and also teach themselves as well. As you get further in, it has been revamped to add more word problems - but the early years still do not, partly due to the literacy limitations of the younger children. CLE fills a niche as well, but it's not my first choice with kids, especially young ones. The work spirals, the pages are slightly more cluttered, and parents have a tendency to ignore the teacher's guide until their kid is overwhelmed/lost trying to be independent. Math is an interactive subject. It needs willing participants and consistent feedback. I'll use CLE for an older student who wants to do something alone, but I'm more reluctant to remove all assistance (direct teaching, manipulatives, instant feedback) from younger children in a quest to get them to do something alone. It's a good way to get a child to be an adult who doesn't have a firm grasp on mathematics. You can split the difference between the two and go for Math With Confidence, which is gentle, spiral-ish, and has direct teaching with manipulatives so everyone is confident in the lesson material and how the math works. Every kid has a program that works well for them, and that's really what a parent should consider: Is this working for my kid? How can I help myself so that it works best for them?
  10. I love these. The last one reminded me of when I was little and saw a gravity pendulum knocking over dominos one by one. I was absolutely convinced that the world would end if that pendulum stopped.
  11. We did get a letter a few weeks ago. It may be worth checking to see that he was registered as homeschool and not to the local school. I know our local high school councilor said registration was different and a little confusing this year, so mistakes could have been made.
  12. It's a year later, and I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Anyone?
  13. I didn’t know they qualified it. I don’t have TikTok so sometimes I miss the full context. I still don’t think it’s remotely fear mongering to say that, historically, men are way more dangerous than bears. That’s just a global fact. You don’t know her life!!!! Also, can you choose the bear? I’ve been in the woods with black bears. They’re not trying to get near you.
  14. I’ve made oxtail stew. It was time consuming and a bit of a pain. I figured the effort would be lost on my family and I might as well make regular beef stew, but they really did like it and I got compliments.
  15. Thank you so much for saying that. I’m not sure “We memorialized it” is quite the solution that @fairfarmhand was looking for. 🤣 I do understand her frustration though. It’s not the easiest habit to live with.
  16. This makes me think of the Lumosity game
  17. I thought the whole point of oxtail was the fat that's melted into the dish making it a super rich roast Lot of it did, but there was still some big chunks of fat clinging on and completely unappetizing to me. It was soft and tender but 😬
  18. Could I please get some outside opinions? DS thinks writing is the worst thing he has to do for school, and it doesn't matter if it's answering short answer questions or an actual writing assignment. We're using Jump In this year, which has resulted in a tad bit less complaining and gnashing of teeth, but it's still his least favorite thing to do and no fun for either of us. I've tried to take baby steps with him over the last few years, breaking things down, but I'm finding it hard to know where he's at skill wise as we prepare for 8th grade in the Fall. His older brother has always had an easier time writing, and was easily writing longer, well balanced papers when he was in 7th. I don't want to compare them, but it makes it hard to adequately judge where youngest DS is in the scope of 7th grade peers. The attached assignment was a 5 paragraph report on the topic of his choice, and was required to be between 400 & 500 words. I was looking at the 8 week Lantern English writing courses as a possibility for next year, but I'm not certain which would be the best to start with. I think it would help him to expect feedback from someone other than me. Five Paragraph Report.docx
  19. Just read Imposters by Scott Westerfield, which is set a generation after the Uglies series (a book I highly recommend for tween/teen girls - all about appearances etc). This one is pretty violent but a fun read. I think there's four in the series so I haven't got an idea of what the big themes are yet.
  20. Amazon is celebrating World Book Day, with any ONE of eight ebooks from around the world (selected by Amazon) available without charge through 30 April. Here is the link ~ https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=87672506011 Regards, Kareni
  21. Oh! I took it in and my therapist talked to the doc about it over the next week. Doc suggested I pay for shipping to have it repaired, but therapist and receptionist talked and decided it was an accident and no need. They were so sweet. I brought cookies to the office at the next appointment. 😊 Whew! All good!
  22. You could look at www.study.com which is a monthly subscription giving you access to tons of classes in all academic subjects for various grade levels. The costs are anywhere from $29.00 a month for a teacher subscription to $59.00 a month for a student subscription. As the parent, you would assign the lessons and then get reports showing your kids' achievement on quizzes, tests, and worksheet types of assignments. Also, Wondrium which is a monthly subscription ($15.00 a month) that has taped 30 minute lectures for all types of academic and non academic subjects. For World History, my 10th grade DD watches assorted Wondrium lectures that I assign and does various study.com lessons to reinforce the topics she is learning about. I have also added in readings from various trade books, activity books, and text books, quizzes and tests (homemade), and literature books (for example Beowulf while studying Anglo-Saxon England), but you could do a "light" credit just with the Wondrium lectures, study.com lessons, and some discussion. Another idea is to do the monthly recorded class subscription from www.homeschoolconnections.com. Full, recorded classes are available for elementary, middle school and high school levels at a reasonable monthly price. You could also look at IXL which has reasonable subscription plans. Lastly, try Khan Academy (free courses) and the library for supplements of course! My library has all the Life of Fred math books for checkout, for example. For purchasing used curriculum: I have found www.homeschoolclassifieds.com and www.bookfinder.com very useful as well as used curriculum sales at my annual homeschool convention and library used book sales. I have also bought and sold on general and specific curriculum groups on Facebook. Always use Paypal or Venmo or something that protects your purchase price when buying books online. I hope this helps! I am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through such a trying time. Homeschooling isn't easy even when things are "smooth" family-wise. <<<<<<HUGS to you!! >>>>>>>
  23. I've never used Math U See, so I'm probably not the best one to chime in, but I did use CLE Math with my boys for a couple of years. My youngest used it for 2nd and 3rd, and my oldest for 5th and 6th. I did really like the spiral review aspect of it and they liked that the instruction was right there in the book. If you're looking for word problems, however, that's not really CLE's strength. Ultimately, I think CLE's Language Arts program is much stronger than their math program.
  1. Load more activity