Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. No, and that's probably much of the problem. Most people do not plan for their kids to go to college and look down at people who do go to college. I know kids who probably won't receive much past 6th grade. The parents feel that anything beyond knowing how to make change at the store is more math than is needed in "real life". The handful of people I know that did go to college went to unaccredited Christian universities, so who knows? To be honest, I think we'll need to consider relocating to give DS11 some different opportunities. We're in a rural area, and while I can drive to bigger cities that have a few more offerings, it's hard to keep that going long term. I don't necessarily expect to find a co-op of high achieving, highly intellectual kids. I'd be happy if I could find a regular group of kids that liked to play board games or Dungeons and Dragons. I can't even get that going here. I think we've just outgrown the area in some ways, and we need to think on what we're trying to accomplish for DS11 now that he is no longer a little kid. This was a lovely place to homeschool little kids! But it's a tough place to homeschool middle and high school.
  3. Today
  4. In my experience growing up deep thinking and discussion were a rarity, even in schools with strong academics. Even among kids headed to Cambridge and Stanford. I graduated from a small private school overseas, a school with exceptional academic outcomes as measured by IB exam scores and college admissions, but even as a high schooler I felt like the odd one out because I was interested in ideas and discussion and real learning, not just doing well in school. Actually I was pretty bad at doing school.
  5. Anti-intellectualism is a difficult trend to cope with. I don't see a lot of it locally. I doubt there is anywhere where the kind of intensive intellectual focus some on this forum embrace is common, but in my area most homeschooling parents are college educated and are planning for their children to attend college. Is that true locally for you? We haven't been involved in many co-ops or groups. I did try out one science group with a friend but the first meeting we attended featured one family presenting their "research" into why the moon landings couldn't have really happened. That did spark some interesting discussions with my kids about conspiracy theories but we didn't go back to the group. I have a homeschooling mom friend who lives a couple of blocks from me, she has two kids prepping to take an AP calculus exam in the spring including her fifteen year old. Someone on Facebook posted about getting a mathcounts group going and there was a fair bit of interest. In general I don't think kids need large groups of like-minded peers, maybe you could find just one other family with a more intellectual bent to start a small group with? If there is literally no-one else I don't know what you do, except look online.
  6. It’s probably not the best move to fall down the stairs when you can barely move to begin with. (I am not complaining here. It was inly a couple of steps and I landed on carpeting. ). What really affected me was doing my 5k walk. It’s not really sustainable when I end up stuck in my armchair for five plus hours afterwards. Not really complaining again- more wondering aloud what steps I might take to improve on this. I am stubborn enough not to give up my 5ks on Saturday and driven enough to want to be functional afterwards. Just took Aleve. I am hoping this takes the edge off my extreme achiness enough to get some sleep.
  7. Yesterday was good. I walked the dog for a couple of miles in the morning, then took my mum to lunch. I accidentally ordered a frittata with goats cheese which I don't like, so I just picked out the veg to eat. Later on I did my upper body and lower body Adriene combo, then went out for dinner (fish) and a concert with a friend. This morning I woke up snuffling, but I think that's just my weird post-exercise snuffle. I feel as if my bingo wings are getting firmer, so that's good. Overall a good week. Four sessions of yoga, of which three focused on strength. Lots of brisk walking and meditation. My weight seems settled in a comfortable zone - I'm at 58.2 kilos this morning at 163cms. I was heading out to Nordic Walk this morning but there's some doubt about the timing of our family Skype, so I might miss the tide. Oh well, family first. Have a great day! :
  8. This is a big question and requires a big answer, and I'm struggling with being concise tonight! The main theme running through our life is strong family bonds. Like @Momto6inIN, I was not interested in playing second fiddle to the school. We briefly tried school and it was apparent after only a few days there that the school felt they had more rights and entitlements to the kids than the parents did. If I sent my child to school, I'd be agreeing to put his relationship with school ahead of his relationship with me and his father. I am not willing to do this. The values of school are not our values. And if anyone reading this has kids in school and is happy and fulfilled with their family-child-school, relationship, great! I"m glad it's working for you, but it became clear very rapidly that it was *not* going to work for us and would have negative effects on our family life. While we are not "school-at-home" homeschoolers, we are "intellectual" homeschoolers, meaning I don't do any tests or book reports, but we do a heck of a lot of reading and discussion. The rampant anti-intellectualism running through homeschool groups makes me angry, and has made me question whether we should continue homeschooling. Maybe he'd be better off in school where someone cares about learning? The co-ops here provide such low-quality "learning". The only benefit to these groups is the social aspect, but DS11 is starting to get annoyed when all the kids want to do is socialize, and we're running into the same sort of cliques and drama that you'd find in school. The library enrichment activities are like this, too. I've been looking -hard- for more intellectual activities and groups for him to join, but there isn't anything here. Someone tried to get a science club going, but it fell apart. "Science" around here equals "Nature Study". Math equals "baking". I asked if anyone knew of a math club in the area, and a *math teacher* chuckled and said she'd never heard of such a thing and didn't think there would be much interest, anyway. I just feel very discouraged. I feel like I've lost my way.
  9. Friends of ours who have adopted celebrate "gotcha" day. Some do a cake and card, some tell the story of their adoptions. I don't think any of them make it a huge party, just a time of love.
  10. We don't celebrate, but I can understand why you'd want to acknowledge the day. What about something really simple, like getting a big box of donuts for breakfast, or having a "movie marathon" with popcorn or other treats? You can add a card saying how much you love him and are glad he's part of your family.
  11. sgo95

Ruggable

I don't have one but was seriously considering a purchase. However, I watched a review on youtube that pointed out that the edges and corners of the rug can curl up (not lay flat)--I think it's because the top layer is thin. Here's a written review with pictures: https://oakabode.com/ruggable-review-pros-cons/. I knew that would always bug me so I ended up getting a regular rug.
  12. you can also change your monitor settings to have less blue light in the evening. that can also be helpful.
  13. Church birthday lunch out birthday movie out.
  14. What age for WWJ you think. I believe I have both, but I was so confused as to how to use them with DS that I never did. I’m willing to give it a go with DD once we get state-side.
  15. This, everyday, on the bus to school, on the bus back. I like it but she hates the timed nature of it. I find her looking out the window sometimes. But the timed nature is what makes it literally a couple minutes each time. We’re still not there though (XtraMath tells me we started on October).
  16. I don’t think he ever really stops thinking about it. So “reminding”‘isn’t a risk.
  17. We don’t. But our kids were all so young, they don’t know anything but us. For a few years we did celebrate The day we finalized the adoptions because we felt like that was something we should do, but it just seemed weird so we quit.
  18. Yes, it’s a lot. The anniversary of his parents’ death is in the second half of December too. I don’t know that celebrate is the right word, but acknowledge? He is old enough that he knows that it’s the anniversary, and so ignoring it doesn’t feel right.
  19. I think it depends on how you define "necessary for life". Necessary to be able to get and keep a job that pays a living wage? Necessary to be an educated citizen, able to competently participate in public life? Necessary to pursue wisdom and virtue, to pursue higher goals than being a good worker and an educated citizen? WRT "necessary for living wage," I'd say "the ability to speak and write grammatically," which requiers a strong intuitive grammar knowledge, but might not require any explicit grammar knowledge. WRT "necessary to be an educated citizen" I'd add "the ability to discuss and edit writing grammatically," which involves explicit applied grammar knowledge, but not necessarily formal grammar. WRT "necessary for higher goals", I'd say "the ability to understand how language describes reality," which I do think involves a formal knowledge of grammar as well as intuitive and applied grammar. So a whole lot like lewelma's applied grammar approach (which I think is awesome), but with the addition of thinking about *what* grammatical structures *are* (aka formal definitions). But not just memorizing formal definitions, but learning to apply those definitions, connecting those definitions to one's intuitive sense of reality. So, not just formal grammar as an abstract system, but connecting those abstractions to concrete reality. So, not grammar-for-grammar's-sake, but grammar for the sake of better understanding language and what it means and how we use it to describe reality. I think a lot of formal grammar instruction fails to transfer to writing because students learn it as a closed abstract system, and never learn how it describes actual language that actual people use to describe the actual world. So I really like approaching grammar from a writing perspective: it helps keep grammar study rooted in *what language is*, it's like the "concrete" and "pictorial" in the concrete->pictorial->abstract progression used in Singapore Math. (I suppose I'd say other people's writing is the "pictorial", while "concrete" is language that the teacher or student comes up with to describe something existing in the real world (where I include the student's imagination as "existing in the real world"); "concrete" equals language whose connection to the reality it describes is clearly and intuitively obvious to the student.) I just don't want to stop with applied knowledge, but continue on to learn *what* language is, in addition to the applied "how to use it". It's comparable to "why do math proofs" - to learn something about *what math is* in addition to acquiring number sense and learning how to use math. It's not really about "do I need this" so much as it's about, idk, learning something beautiful and real and important, kwim? ~*~ ETA: As for what we're doing in our homeschool, well, I'm aiming for that kind of "what language is" formal grammar. I didn't bother much with explicit grammar in elementary - mostly was building grammar sense through all the reading and discussing. Now with my oldest (8th grade), we're doing Grammar for Writers, which is really awesome applied grammar that also kind of opens the door for really *grokking* formal grammar like I'm aiming toward. I don't have the sort of grammar understanding I'm aiming for - I had next-to-no grammar instruction in school - but I've been trying to learn. And I've found myself hampered because while "grammar as a closed abstract system" has been easy enough for me to learn, figuring out how to explicitly connect formal grammar to reality has been hard. And so far GfW is doing a wonderful job at building those missing connections, helping me really get *what* those grammar definitions *mean*. We're doing Latin, and I'm planning to hit the "connect explicit formal definitions to intuitive, concrete reality" grammar through it. (For example, we're doing verb tenses in Latin, and have been learning the formal definitions. DD13 has said that while she can do the translations fine, she doesn't really get the all of the tenses, in the sense of "what do these definitions have to do with real life". So we're going to take some time to really explore and nail that down. And as we go through Latin, I'm going to make sure at every point to connect the grammar to what it *means*, taking as long as needed for both dd and I to really get it.)
  20. Ground beef curry is a staple here. Sauté onions & garlic. Brown hamburger & drain grease. Add curry powder, paprika, cloves, and a smidgen of cayenne, and stir. Add water - maybe a cup or so, depending on volume. Cook 5 minutes or so. Add a cut-up tomato and maybe some frozen peas. Heat through and serve.
  21. We don't either. We tried the first year and it resulted in a nightmare day of bad behaviour. I guess they don't want to be reminded of their past.
  22. If his birthday and Christmas are in the same week, that’s already a lot of celebration!! I would still celebrate it, though, even if the celebration was a card, a snuggle, and a special prayer at dinner/nighttime. Anne
  23. I meant to go back and reread how Susan lost a ton of weight but instead I'm eating ice cream. I'm not sure where I went wrong.
  24. My brand new super schmancy bancy (banana fana fo fancy) debit card has a tap to pay feature. I'm moving up in the world. I feel like I need an iPhone or something to go with it.
  1. Load more activity