Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. DD is finishing 8th grade. We are not in the Diploma program, she just does not have the time (competitive athlete, and I like our history/math cycles more than what they offer at Veritas. She's my youngest daughter so I know what works for NCAA clearinghouse / Service Academies etc because we have been through it already). I would say she works between 30-45 minutes on G&W Transition, longer if there is a paper due. For physical science, she usually spends 45-1hr each day, again longer if she has a lab due. Formal lab write ups take longer because there is research involved, but plenty of time is given to prepare. Our favorite General and Physical science teacher will be out on maternity leave next year, but we haven't had a bad teacher across the board yet. Not sure what science you are looking at doing but Mrs. Braaten and Mr. Bruner are popular. My recommendation would be to click on the teacher's name and read their bio. Then watch the short intro video they have made to hear them speak.
  3. Exactly. There seems to be a lot of paranoia here when it comes to men, and I don't understand it. Why would I be afraid of some random guy in the woods if I was out for a walk? I mean, if he started acting really weird or menacing or something, obviously I would become wary of him, but I would also be wary of a random woman acting really weird or menacing in the woods, too. Because WEIRD and MENACING, not because it was someone I didn't already know and trust. Hasn't anyone ever struck up a conversation with a man they didn't know, unless they were in a highly populated area? Are women really that afraid? I think that's really sad, and I feel sorry for those women, because it must be awful to live in daily fear of strangers, instead of assuming that the vast majority of people would never do anything to harm them.
  4. I grew up in Mn. Age 40 we moved to Michigan. Many people assumed we were from Canada because of our accent. We didn’t hear it until we would go back for a visit. Now that we’re back home I suspect we have some of that accent again, but I hear it in smaller more rural towns than where I live.
  5. Of course not. There are situations where women can and should be afraid of certain men, just as there are situations where women can and should be afraid of other women. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. But @Scarlett specifically said: Why do we "have to assume the man is dangerous," and yet, as @Meriwether pointed out, we should also apparently assume the bear is probably just an adorable black bear and not at all dangerous, instead of "having to assume" that the bear is a huge grizzly bear? Why does the bear get the benefit of the doubt that it's not a dangerous type of bear, but the man is automatically assumed to be a threat? That's just weird. And forgetting about the bear completely for a moment, why would anyone automatically assume that any one random man in the woods is definitely a danger to us? Why would we assume that at all? If women and girls all "have to assume" that all men are dangerous, no woman or girl would ever hike, stroll, or jog alone in the woods. They would be too afraid. No parent would ever let their daughter play in the woods behind their house, because there might be a MAN there, and of course we should assume that every man is dangerous, right? Women would have to live in fear of men every day. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous, and it's also incredibly insulting to men, because according to the statistics that Katy posted earlier in the thread, only about 2% of men are actually dangerous. But even if that number is higher, the vast majority of men aren't lurking in the shadows (or the woods) waiting to attack girls and women. So yeah, I'm sticking with my original answer -- I would rather leave my daughter in the woods with a man than with a bear, because the odds are overwhelmingly high that the man would be completely safe and I think he would probably also help my child if she needed it. (And I still think the initial TikTok question is idiotic, and that it was phrased specifically to make women start thinking about how incredibly dangerous men are. 🙄)
  6. Hygienist tells me to use toothpaste with baking soda which helps neutralize the saliva acids that form plaque.
  7. Good morning! I'm still at my desk, doing schoolwork. coffee get ds off to school schoolwork laundry schoolwork have a Moment with my child, who managed to be bold enough to write one of the few words he is forbidden to ever say, write, or communicate unless it is for an academic paper. He is just about pooping himself right now knowing that I know. tutor schoolwork dinner schoolwork 4.5/11 assignments done. Ugh.
  8. ikslo

Wordle

Wordle 1,041 5/6 ⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜ ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ 🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨 🟨🟨🟩🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  9. This is what we use, too. It’s not super foamy or super minty, which is why I like it. ETA: Costco carries the 4-pack, which is usually a better price than anywhere else.
  10. I’m not sure how to define “best” in this context. My dentist told me to use the most basic toothpaste, nothing whitening or “extra”. I pick Crest or Colgate, whichever I can get in the basic form, which isn’t always easy. Other people might need other products.
  11. I suspect the biggest roadblock to everything is that they’re adults with behaviors. There is precious little out there for disabled adults with significant behaviors especially those with near normal or normal cognitive functioning.
  12. Today
  13. I have a set with the flat flame and I love them. Costco carries them at Christmas. My previous set didn’t have the flat flame and were very orange.
  14. We generally use whatever is on sale at Costco, mostly Colgate but I think we need to switch to something better. Not sure what. I would like you to have fluoride in it because we have kids. What are your family favorite toothpaste
  15. Still in a holding pattern here. I'm ready to be DONE, and I'm not sure exactly what he's waiting for. Occasionally I suggest he get in touch with one school or another about this or that if he's looking for more info, but he's not taking any initiative to do that, so...I think he's just having trouble saying goodbye to all except for one of them. Oh, speaking of FA--one school (that's not in his top 4) updated his offer to give him an extra $1000, then texted him to say, "yay! did you see this extra money?!" We know they gave him an extra $1000 because his pell grant is better than they estimated and they're getting an extra $3000 for him, but still nice of them I guess. But also still his worst FA offer.
  16. Good morning! I need people to stop adding things to the calendar. Including myself. May is going to be a Month. I think I'll mow the lawn today. Orchestra rehearsal tonight. I've been asked to bring my mandolin for a fiddle group medley - they've never heard me play and may regret it, lol. Also I have to get the guest bed set up. I have plans to get one that is easy-peasy to set up but haven't gotten to it yet. Some day. Coffee!
  17. ugh--I'm sorry! We haven't heard anything about money from his one public option...I think I know what it would look like, but I'd feel better if I saw it in black and white from them instead of trying to piece it together myself from assorted sources.
  18. 15 min fitbymik light dumbbell workout this morning. Light does not mean easy.
  19. I don’t think women who can be afraid of men In certain situations are anti men.
  20. 😂 That’s got to be the polar opposite of dangerous psychopaths lurking in the forest.
  21. It isn’t a scientific experiment though. It is just ‘what is your gut reaction’ type question.
  22. Clean up XYZ Days…Google “clean up” along with your city, town, neighborhood, beaches, waterfronts, etc. There are often organized days where lots of volunteers gather to work for a day. You could also reach out to a parks & rec dept and see if they’d organize one. Free Summer Concerts…Google these too, along with name of your town, etc. Lots of places have outdoor concerts in summer. You’d be in open air and could leave whenever you needed. Library Summer programs…these might not be appropriate for your sons, but sometimes there are visitors (ie: mobile zoos or performers) that you might be able to find OTHER places the visitors are going that might be more appropriate. Respite Care…I’m not sure if you’re eligible for it but perhaps you can call and see if the respite providers have any ideas for you “3 Bears Summer Project” Pick an organization to collect for. As an example, dog & cat rescues always need old towels and sheets. Connect with an org and then do a neighborhood collection. Pass out flyers and ask to put out towels and sheets on a certain day, then collect on that day. Ask libraries and friendly businesses if you can leave a box with a sign in their lobbies and tell them you will collect once a week. Your kids can map out the different routes to each collection place and figure out the fastest and/shortest way to do their weekly collections.
  1. Load more activity