• Days Won

Lori D. last won the day on September 20 2013

Lori D. had the most liked content!

30,967 Excellent

11 Followers

Profile Information

Contact Methods

• Interests
    learning, reading, gardening, leisure hiking, film buff, and Rock Band game bassist

Recent Profile Visitors

7,053 profile views
  1. Clover Creek Chemistry offers a teacher-graded option, and a parent-graded option. JMO: If I knew nothing about chemistry to know how to grade it, it would be worth every penny to pay for the teacher-graded option. Yes, it is twice the price. But I cannot stress enough how important it is to know your own limits and abilities, and if you can't grade and mentor a student through a subject, it's crucial to outsource that to someone who can so that the student actually learns rather than just muddles through and you check off a box of a credit for the transcript. If the price of the teacher-graded option is out of reach, then you may need to come up with an alternative. Ideas: - work a job this summer to earn enough to pay for all of your outsourcing expenses - ask someone else who is knowledgeable about chemistry to do the grading and tutoring if your student has any struggles (example: a spouse, grandparent/relative, or good friend who would be happy to do that for free once a week - trade with another homeschooler who is good with chemistry -- they grade/mentor your student with the chemistry, and you grade/mentor one of their students in a subject area that you are strong in - skip chemistry and do a different science subject you would be able to grade and mentor BEST of luck in finding the best solution for your chemistry class needs. Warmest regards, Lori D.
  2. Austenland (2013) Enchanted April (1991) Miss Congeniality (2000) The Devil Wears Prada (2006) Only You (1994) Dear Frankie (2004) -- Irish accents, if that is a problem for people Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris -- I haven't seen the (2022) version, but the trailer looks pretty good; the 1992 Angela Lansbury version is fine -- very Hallmark-y )lol)
  3. Here are some myofascial release self-techniques -- some use a foam roller, others use a ball, and some do not require any device. I have seen a tennis ball used in yoga classes that emphasize "yin yoga". That might also be something to consider, is a once-a-week yin yoga class (online or in person). I get very tight shoulder muscles and use a vintage 1.5" hard rubber super-bounce ball and press it between my shoulder muscles and the wall, which allows me to press as hard as works for me -- no hands needed, just pressing my back/shoulder against the ball which is against the wall. plus the ball can be rolled around to work on different spots by releasing pressure and moving my shoulders a bit.
  4. for picture books: What People Do All Day, or, Cars and Trucks and Things That Go -- by Richard Scarry; so fun for ages 2/3 up through ...? Animalia -- by Graem Base; an alphabet book with tons of images to look for on each page; another great one for ages 2/3 up through ages 6-8 for board books: Good Dog Carl -- by Alexandra Day (or other in the Carl series) Jamberry -- by Bruce Degan for golden books: 365 Bedtime Stories -- by Kathryn Jackson, illustrated by Richard Scarry The Monster at the End of This Book
  5. Some people are very brief and to the point in texts, and don't include emotion (emojis) or context to expand on their text. I have learned--after more than once very wrongly misinterpreting brevity for curtness or other negative motivation 😉 --to try not to read in more than what is there. If in doubt, you can always ask a clarifying question. 😄
  6. Dr. Pulaski? Dr. Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden) was written out after season 1 (due to head writer at the time disliking her acting), and Dr. Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) took her place for season 2. Muldaur left after season 2 to pursue other acting endeavors, and McFadden returned as Dr. Crusher for season 3 and for the rest of the seasons, after a fan letter-writing campaign, support from co-star Patrick Stewart, and a personal invitation to return from ST:NG executive producer Rick Berman. However, that all occurred BEFORE your requirement of it needing to be a character AFTER the season 3/4 Borg episodes of "Best of Both Worlds"... ETA -- Other possibilities: Guinan (various episodes, seasons 2-6) <-- but, started BEFORE your season 3/4 restriction Keiko O'Brien (various episodes, seasons 4, 5, 6) Ensign Alyssa Ogawa (3-6 episodes per season, seasons 4, 5, 6, 7) Lt. Ro Laren (season 5 = 6 episodes; seasons 6 & 7 -- 1 episode each)
  7. You will also want to look into the homeschool regulations in your state. Some states do not allow another person to homeschool children other than their own. And if turning it into a private school, or hybrid school, then you have other regulations to abide by in order to function as a legal school. Quoting some potential issues from a post in past thread on "Getting paid to homeschool other children": "It is very much illegal to do such a thing in many states. Check your statutes. You may be required to become a private school in your state. In addition, private schools in some states may be required to open their doors to vaccination records (and/or school-entry physicals) and safety inspections (could mean exit signs, sprinklers, etc.). It depends on your state. Research it before proceeding to be certain. Don't assume that officials won't find out because it takes one nosy neighbor or one disgruntled parent to ruin your day. Also, be sure to draw up some papers for the parents to sign before they start using you. It could protect you legally. If their child doesn't get into school (or a particular grade level that they want), fails, or almost anything, they cannot come back to you and sue. I've seen some private schools, which is what you will be, having to deal with sue-happy parents. None of the lawsuits or threat of lawsuits have been successful as far as I know, but the headache, stress, and lawyer fees don't make it any easier." I am not saying it is illegal for you to set up a micro school -- just saying that there are probably a LOT of regulations you are going to have to make sure you fully understand and have a plan for. I see you are planning to possibly open your doors for th e 2025/26 school year. That will be very wise of you to first try JUST homeschooling your own children next year -- all of you at home, and with you directing and facilitating their education. Although in your first post in this thread you mentioned continuing to work at the Montessori school, I am assuming from your earlier post this month ("Pulling my 7th grader at the end of the year to homeschool - where to begin?") that you will NOT be working outside the home when you start homeschooling? Homeschooling 4 children from pre-K through 8th grade is a HUGE range, with 3 of those 4 in the time of highest need of constant 1-on-1 work with mom. You may find that is plenty, without also taking in additional children for pay, even if your state's homeschool and educational laws allow for that. Again, not to sound like a broken record 😉 -- but if you are planning on homeschooling, I really would urge looking again at the responses in your first thread about starting homeschooling "...with simple goals and materials... and wait until you have some sort of rhythm with those before adding in more." As @8filltheheart finished in her response to you there, "Sometimes less is more when you are adjusting to homeschooling." I totally agree. 😄 Best of luck as you research and think through your options, goals, and needs.
  8. Welcome to the WTM board. I see from your post count that you are new. I can't answer your 1st question about whether or not the Grammar Guidebook and the Diagramming dictionary is good prep for taking WTM Latin. I am providing "food for thought" about your 2nd concern, the possibility of homeschooling. Meant with kindness and gentleness: successful homeschooling really requires the parent to be there much/most of the time to be actively involved in the student's education. And for the student to have regular social and relational interactions with others (parent, siblings, friends, etc.) --especially in the middle/high school years. That's a pretty big expectation to put on even the most responsible and independent-working 8th grader--or high schooler--to work through rigorous educational material mostly solo. The classical model of education and the materials recommended by the WTM are designed so that there is much discussion and teacher-guided analysis with the student. It would be quite challenging to adapt WTM method and materials for a pre-teen/young teen boy to work mostly independently, esp. if switching from Montessori's less structured/"follow the child" method, to a more rigorous and traditional/structured method. I also would guess that you might not have the mental energy and ability after a full day of individual tutoring/creating specialized learning plans for your Title 1 students to then come home and engage with the material and in discussion on all of the subjects with your DS. Since your work would not allow you to be at home to oversee and be actively involved in your DS's learning at home, and because DS would have to spend large amounts of time home alone, I would suggest looking for alternatives. Just a few questions to consider to help you get rolling with thinking of alternatives: - Since you are both at the Montessori school, can you arrange for DS to use different, more rigorous materials than what the Montessori school uses, and then schedule 60 minutes/day during the school day to be with your DS and teach to him then, and then do an hour of after-schooling with him when you both come home from school? - Can you reduce your hours at work, or become a full-stay-at-home parent, and rely on the income of your spouse so that you fully homeschool? - Can DS's other parent stay at home, or have a more flexible work schedule, to oversee doing homeschooling with DS? - Can you change jobs so that you have more work-from-home time, which would allow you to oversee homeschooling? - Is there a rigorous "university" or "hybrid" model school in your area that could be an option? (In this type of school, students attend the school 3 to 3.5 days a week for teaching, and parents oversee work sent home on the remaining 1.5-2 days/week.) - Would the Catholic school be able to have the flexibility to provide the intellectual/academic challenge your DS might need if he is advanced? If not, then this would not be an option even if the Catholic school is "classical". If yes, then you may want to weigh your competing wishes here: DS's need for more rigorous academic learning vs. your difference in beliefs with the school (secular vs. faith-based). Two overall final thoughts: 1. Just because a school or curricula or materials are labeled "classical" does not necessarily mean they are "rigorous" -- or that they are a good teaching style that fits the individual student's learning style. 2. Sometimes there are no options that fit all of the items on our wish list, and then we have to make hard choices which require compromises between our situation and wishes/needs/priorities. Best of luck in finding what best fits your DS's learning needs and family circumstances.
  9. You, to the Panera kiosk: "Why yes thank you, I'd love for you to give me a tip for serving myself! How generous and thoughtful of you!" 😉
  10. DH makes cold brew in a simple glass French press before going to bed. In the morning, pours a cup, zaps in the microwave, voile! Hot, tasty, instant! And no massive environmental waste or huge cost or need of electricity (other than microwaving briefly). He keeps the rest of the cold brew in a container in the fridge, and as he wants coffee, pours a cup. It lasts several days with no problems.Oh, and in warm weather, it's great for ice coffee. 😄
  11. "High School Time Table" thread might help. It is one of many helpful past threads, all linked in the "High School Motherlode #1" post, pinned at the top of the High School Board. You might also skim through the threads linked there, plus the threads linked in the "High School Motherlode #2". And the "Going to College Motherlode" thread, pinned at the top of the College Board. Other checklists: - Homeschool for Success: High School Checklist -- downloadable/pdf general/overall high school list from Debra Bell - Homeschool Senior Year Checklist -- On To College blog; can download a printable pdf version - 15 Point Senior Year Inspection Checklist -- Lee Binz website article BEST of luck!
  12. Not that you were asking for feedback 😉 , but I'll just throw out the following: You look like you've got a good start on planning credits and courses. 😄 Your resource choice of BYL 8 is a bit light for typical 9th grade level of work, but I don't know your student and her working level, nor your future plans. You might consider mixing and matching -- so if something like Story of Science is a better fit for 9th grade science for this student, then go with that, but then consider going with something beefier for English and Math if your student is at that higher level for those subjects. That's the beauty of homeschooling -- you can tailor fit resources for each subject area. 😉
  13. You will likely want to be also thinking about an overall plan for high school (written in pencil so you can flex and adjust all through the 4 years as needed 😉 ), as it helps you make sure you accomplish any courses you really want to be sure to do during high school, as well as making sure you do all of the potentially "required" credits (if your state has homeschool high school graduation requirements, and/or if you are planning on college after high school, colleges usually have a set of credits required for admission). A typical 9th grade line up of classes includes: 1 credit = English 1 credit = Math 1 credit = Science 1 credit = Social Studies possibly: 1 credit = Foreign Language possibly: 0.5 to 1 credit = Fine Arts possibly: 0.5 to 1 or 2 credits Elective(s) So far, from your list, I see: 1 credit = English: ______?_____ (potentially BYL 8's Lit.; does it "dig deeper" & present lit. topics? and what about writing?) 1 credit = Math: ______?______ (note: the BYL 8's Math would not work as a high school credit) 1 credit = Science: General Science (BYL Story of Science) 1 (?) credit = Social Studies: Geography (Encounter Canada) 1 (?) credit = Fine Arts: Art or Videography 1 (?) credit = Elective: Home Ec. Overall for high school, if you are wanting to complete a college prep list of credits (for US colleges): 4 credits = English 4 credit = Math (most US colleges want Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, + a 4th math often above Alg. 2) 3-4 credits = Science (most US colleges want at least 2, sometimes 3 of the Sciences to have labs) 2-4 credits = Social Studies (most US colleges want 1 credit each Amer. Hist. & World Hist. and/or Geography; some want 0.5 credit each Econ. + Gov't) 2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language; all US colleges accept Latin, most US colleges accept ASL) 1 credit = Fine Arts 4-8+ credits Electives (examples: Computer, Logic, Bible/Religious Studies, Home Ec, PE, Health, Driver's Ed, Career-Technical Ed., Vocational-Tech courses, courses in personal interests, additional Fine Arts credits, "Academic Electives" - additional credits beyond the required for the above 5 academic subjects, etc.)
  14. WWYD? -- my answer: With those numbers, I would work on diet / lifestyle first. The average HDL # for women is 60 -- so you are well above that, which is what is boosting your overall cholesterol # into the "high" range. Statin can have a range of mild to extremely damaging side effects for some people, so I personally would first be working on improving my numbers with diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes. They don't even have to be huge, difficult to implement changes to be effective. Diet - reduce/cut out pre-packaged foods, chips, bakery goods, and other trans-fat goods - reduce consumption of dairy, red meats - drink more water throughout the day, which helps reduce snack cravings, and snacks often add to bad cholesterol - eat oatmeal more regularly; it helps reduce cholesterol - and, of course, a healthy diet with a lot of fresh vegetables and produce Exercise - try to walk daily, for 30-40 minutes; especially good if you can walk for 20 minutes each after lunch and dinner - if you have a sedentary schedule, set you timer to go off once an hour and take a 5 minute break and move -- swing arms, jog in place, jump rope, vigorous dancing General Lifestyle - try to reduce stress -- stress shoots up cholesterol numbers - do 5 minutes of relaxation techniques 2x/ a day - get outside, breathe the air, enjoy looking around at nature to reduce stress - pet a dog or cat for pet therapy to reduce stress - if you have long-term stressful situations in your life, go to a counselor to help work through those issues and to learn more ideas for how to de-stress BEST of luck!