Carrie12345 last won the day on January 7 2023

Carrie12345 had the most liked content!

32,019 Excellent

About Carrie12345

• Birthday April 28

Profile Information

Contact Methods

• Interests
    Sewing cloth diapers, learning how to be a mini-homesteader, wasting time online and bad t.v.

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. In my dd’s case, money. On days off, the “kids” were always going out to eat and shop. Especially the year when the camp food was especially bad. She brought plastic drawers to organize all her stuff. A good stiff broom in addition to indoor and outdoor rugs. Good shoes to wear while other shoes dry out. When I camp, I like to have unscented cleaner for wiping down dusty/dirty surfaces. Scented cleaners can attract animals. Battery and solar lights have always been THE thing to have, particularly for the girls’ tents. Clothes pins for utility and decorating.
  2. Sure! And Jack Antonoff is majorly rich in my son’s area of music. There’s no argument that the arts CAN be anywhere from sustainable to insanely lucrative. The conversation evolved, and I’m participating as the parent of a musician, sharing my own concerns about the odds. Frankly, being a sahp has proven financially beneficial to me. I don’t want to see that become my kids’ plan, though. At least, not the way I did it. (Though we do still get a kick out of how the youngest once said he wants to be a sahd who cooks and works out.) I do think it’s ridiculous to frame “success” as an income over $120k or living alone when there’s no reason to. AND a major in music freaks me out.
  3. I’m a person who believes the arts and humanities are crucial, and that all employment should be at a living wage. Unfortunately, my beliefs have little influence on reality. Look, I was raised to do good for humanity. My sister is the only 1 of 3 who completed college and even got her masters in order to be legally qualified to help certain populations. But that’s left her scratching the poverty line as a single mother. The only reason I have the privilege of pursuing a similar path as a Middle Aged woman is because my spouse earns perks, bonuses, and raises that are significant compared to my potential future salary. It isn’t a lack of deep desire for meaningful contribution to society, it’s the odds of survivability. While I’m here, my kids will always have a home so, sure, it’s safe for them to explore a bit. But I’m not going to be here forever, and whatever estate is left behind will get split 5 ways. 5 people, potentially 5 families, will have to be able to sustain themselves. In today’s reality, I don’t know, and I’m not sure if any of us knows, what an odds-based hedge looks like. MY music major is 25. How much time does he have left to give it a good go? To 30? 35? (To be fair, he got young parents, so he’s got that going for him. My 13yo, not as much.) As an X’er who was expected to follow the college-to-adult path and failed that milestone, I push very hard against it. But I’m flying blind when it comes to alternative guidance. All I know for sure is that I have to make people who are capable of living without me, because they’re going to have to, whether that’s tomorrow or in 50 years, and no one can tell me which it’ll be closer to. I know I’ve raised all of my kids to make significant and beautiful contributions to society. But society’s bills still have to be paid.
  4. I haven’t come across any claims of AI being perfect. In some places, in some contexts, it works pretty great. In others maybe, not so much. Same for most of the tech I use. And we’re still humans. We’re not supposed to trust GPS to not drive us off a bridge, so we probably shouldn’t trust AI to always be precise.
  5. Slow and steady. I’d start with bins and a garbage bag in communal areas. Tossing trash is always a good first step. Then tossing things in bins to be rehomed rather than multiple trips. Give each person their own bin to put away if possible.
  6. I’m sorry that happened, but glad you were prepared! We’ve found it difficult to give away narcan to citizens. I have 4 kits and 9 boxes of more doses from the piles dd had leftover from community outreach, and that was just a fraction.
  7. I have found it to be an INCREDIBLY difficult line to walk. I’m terrified for my music major, and especially because of his ASD (when it comes to networking and collaborating.) Rather than discouraging, dh networked to find him an internship opportunity *before* (or instead of) student loans, but my rule follower insisted on a degree being necessary for success. I’m proud of my kid for SO many reasons, including his passion and talent for music, and I tell him often. But I am afraid for him in that competitive world.
  8. 5 minutes ago, I used oxy laundry stain spray on my cream colored rug, where the dog vomited neon yellow and my Crosswave made zero difference. Stain gone in SECONDS. Now to figure out how to hide the extra clean spot on the rug…
  9. Congrats! This has me thinking about asking our firefighters and EMTs to promote private visits. They already do that if someone asks, and they do all the community events, but maybe putting it out there on FB or what not could reach people who don’t know.
  10. Mini wallet with ID, 1 credit card, and light cash for running into a store. Big wallet with other credit cards, store cards, business cards, etc. Pens and small paper. Masks. Hand sanitizer. Chapsticks. Multisection container for OTC and script meds. Tissues. Hand cream. Tampons and pads. Hand warmers. Narcan kit. Sour candies and electrolyte packets for presyncope. Hair ties. Tick remover. Prescription glasses. Sunglasses. Dental floss. Mints None of these are things I’d want to find myself without in a time of need, some are for (or extras for) others in a pinch. I used to keep a small knife, but I’ve forgotten about it too many times when I shouldn’t have had it. I’ve actually accidentally gone into court with it, as it wasn’t picked up by the X-ray! So it lives in the car.
  11. My frames STILL aren’t filled yet, but I have shallow “shelf” strips on the wall to rest frames on. I prefer that for fewer holes, less needed precision, and ability to rearrange on a whim.
  12. My “join date” was August 2008. I’m sure I lurked for at least a year before that while dd#1 (kid#2) was cyber schooling kindergarten, because TWTM is what gave me the confidence to make the switch that fall.
  13. I’m so sorry that happened! One of my sons and one of my daughters have to avoid stevia, which is in the one brand I’m thinking of. Well, ds hasn’t tried stevia afaik, but he reacts to monk fruit and, since dd reacts to both, I just keep him away from it, too. Hope you’re recovering well!
  14. My ancestors (and maybe Farrar’s) were the people who “bought” northern NJ. It’s super weird.
  15. Could it be Harlem? ‘Cuz we could be related. If not by old blood, by history.