Menu

now everyone knows my biz!

Jill

I feel like a complete doofus right now. I have made more than half a dozen calls this morning to my school district and spec ed units, trying to find out if they will give me any help in getting an evaluation test for my son - a Stanford Binet or WISC or such. I live in a rural area, small towns etc... now I feel like _everyone_ knows my business and it makes me nervous. I worry about the Tall Poppy syndrome. I am just about in tears! I don't want to short-change my son and if he would thrive doing something like EPGY or another program, I want to know - I want to check it out - it seems like such a good idea if he can practice all the math he desires (he played math computer games for 2.5 hours yesterday, 3rd grade level - it was challenging but he kept at it and wants to do it!) and especially good if he doesn't have to do it all the while struggling with the handwriting aspect! oh I'm not even certain why I'm posting except that it fills me with such anxiety to be sticking my neck out I guess... and I'm wishing I had just scheduled the darn test and be ****ed with the expense! Can someone give me a verbal slapping about to bring me back to my senses and snap some confidence back into me??!?!?! - Jill

You're doing a great job looking out for your son! People in small towns talk about you anyway. Look at it this way, at least you'll give them something to talk about over dinner tonight! :o (Sorry, in our house, humor is our first line of defense!).

I was very lucky to live in a larger city with access to an university where the grad students were thrilled to test my son for free. It was insightful as far as what levels he was on but not as accurate as I wanted because he was only 5 and noncompliant when it came to stuff he didn't deem important enough (all of the language section!). Keep that in mind when thinking of testing. The educational psych professor I talked to recommended retesting at 9 or 10 for a more accurate score. We don't know if we want to take that route yet. I found that piecing together Huck's curriculum worked for us. I don't know much about EPGY so I can't be of much help there.

Hang in there! You'll make it!

First, I agree--after 6 years of hs my PG daughter, I realize that 1) you will need to be an advocate right thru high school and 2) everyone talks about everyone else's kids, so just let it roll off. If it's any comfort, I've now made more than 20 calls to our local high school trying to straighten out the one or two classes she'll actually agree to take there.

As to testing--we were told to wait until dd was in 4th grade (!!which she never made!), but things got so desperate at school in 2nd grade that we had her tested. The tester said we should have had her tested when she was 5, as by 2nd grade she was already ceiling out of the intelligence tests available, including the Stanford LM (for adults). According to the tester, with pg kids "that old", you might never be able to get an accurate IQ. For curiosity's sake, it would have been nice to know, but oh gosh, I guess the bottom line is "smart enough". So, maybe you DO want to consider earlier testing than we did.

Also, if the testing results are in the HG+ range, you might want to consider applying for Davidson.

Danielle

I'm glad we did have him tested even if the tests weren't that accurate. But I wasn't too concerned about having to retest because it was free. I think I would have been a bit more disgruntled if I had spent heaps of money on it.

Huck maxed out the math. Off the charts. But his scores for writing and some of the comprehension stuff was way low. Way, way. The tester even wrote in the final report that he wasn't interested and that affected the result.

As a matter of fact, I wanted to get him into Davidson and the language portions held us back on that. And my boy isn't an output kind of kid so a portfolio wasn't really an option.

I guess we've given the OP more questions that answers.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!:)

First, I agree--after 6 years of hs my PG daughter, I realize that 1) you will need to be an advocate right thru high school and 2) everyone talks about everyone else's kids, so just let it roll off. If it's any comfort, I've now made more than 20 calls to our local high school trying to straighten out the one or two classes she'll actually agree to take there.

That IS a comfort. Thank you, Danielle and Thank you, Kalah. I tried calling some Universities yesterday and felt better after I read your post yesterday, Kalah. I think there's no financial assistance available to me here - the special needs depts would only help if Mr. C had an apparent learning disability. And while I suspect "hyperactive" might be a word tossed about if he went into public school, he hasn't yet been in public school. So, I will look at the budget, squeeze in room for a test and then go from there. I do not expect a PG result, might not even get an HG result honestly, I have no idea...but therein is part of the reason I'd like an outside opinion, I don't want to overlook it if he _can_ and _wants_ to leap forward which some days it sure seems he's able to leap farther forward than I set his goals - the cheetah thing.:) Jill

Schools are legally required to respond to a *written* request for evaluation within a certain number of working days (usually 20 or 30, I think). In the letter you need to request an evaluation (don't mention specific tests yet) and the observations you have made that have led you to think an evaluation is necessary. The principal will see that the letter gets to the correct person. In any case, the school is then required to respond to you in writing one way or the other. When they respond, they will enclose a pamphlet (required by federal law) outlining your rights and your child's rights in the system. If they deny your request, you have the option of appealing. (What you need to do to appeal will be in the pamphlet.) If they accept your request, then you and the school have to come to an agreement about which tests will be administered.

Verbal requests are not legally binding on the school system in any way. When you make a verbal request, they can tell you anything they want. They can discourage you from testing, for example. (A lot of school systems will do this to avoid the cost of doing an evaluation.)

Now, you may get a more in-depth evaluation from the university. School evaluations are not as good as private evals and there are certain things they won't look at (such as sensory integration). However, if your only option is the school system, the very first thing you need to do is put your request in writing.

do not expect a PG result, might not even get an HG result honestly, I have no idea...but therein is part of the reason I'd like an outside opinion, I don't want to overlook it if he _can_ and _wants_ to leap forward which some days it sure seems he's able to leap farther forward than I set his goals - the cheetah thing.:) Jill

Don't be too sure. When we were driving to the tester, dh and I were speculating on what dd's IQ might turn out to be. We both agreed, oh, on about 135-145. We didn't say anything on the way home, both of us were just square-mouthed. Teachers and parents don't always assess these things perfectly. Or maybe dd just has notably dumb parents.

Danielle