Menu

Dive CDs for Science

Whenever I read a post about Dive CDs it seems like people say, "I use the Dive CD with XYZ Science." To me that reads that XYZ Science leads and Dive CD follows, but when I spoke to a Dive vendor yesterday he said one should use the Dive CD as the primary source and plug in the text when appropriate. So, am I misunderstanding? How do you use it?

Thanks,

Karen

We use the DIVE Chemistry CD only for the "video" labs. We didn't have the money for a full-blown chemistry lab this year for our dd, so we got the CD so she could at least watch the labs. They have photos with background narration, and are well-done even though they aren't moving pictures. They demonstrate good lab technique and safety precautions. Also, quite a few of the recommended AP labs are on the CD.

We don't use the other stuff on the CD, but I'm sure it's good, too.

HTH,

GardenMom

We use the Biology cd and it is the *teacher* - my daughter follows the cd reading assignments (we use BJU), watches the lectures, completes the review questions and takes the quizzes and tests. We do not follow the lab order as she is doing labs at a Christian School. However, she has watched the labs anyway and they have solidified a few things for her :)

Karen - the labs worked out pretty well except for one thing. They didn't do any dissections! Guess they are not required in NYS.....Anyway, we bought a kit this weekend and will be finishing the year with a worm, perch, crayfish and frog.

A few more things! The school charged us $100. for supplies and we did buy our daughter a uniform. Thankfully that only cost about $25.! They would have accepted a blouse and skirt but she enjoyed looking like everyone else. She was the only homeschooler there so she was noticeable enough! And the school is only a 15m walk from our home so it did not break up the day for the rest of the family.

Why would you use the DIVE CD questions and tests OVER the ones you get with the book. What makes these better for you?

HOW does this make science better?

Listening......

Blessings,

Brenda

I haven't used it yet, but Dive + science text (Apologia, BJUP, Abeka) = honors science according to the Dive intro. Those particular texts used with their components are not honors when used on their own.

I'm just going by what the guy at the convention told me, but if you choose to use the text's components Dive could still be useful for the labs, and watching the lectures might help your student understand the subject matter with more clarity.

I never thought about Honors...interesting!

I found the weekly schedule very useful. I suppose I could have organized the text's 25 chapters into 36 neat chunks but I did not want to spend the time. It was a little weird as one week might have more than 1 lesson but the amount of work seemed to be steady.

The lectures - for about half the chapters, I think? My daughter is still in bed (sinus infection) but I can ask her when she gets up - give some extra direction/information. If I were a science-minded person I might have been able to do this myself but I am not.

I am sure that the DIVE review questions are similar to those in the text, but it was handy to have them printed out in workbook format.

As the cd was a little cheaper than the TM and testbank and included the digital labs and lectures, I felt like I was getting more for less.

Of course, our year may have gone equally well if we had not used the cd, but I like to think it was a good choice.

HTH!