Menu

BJU Biology....Anything we can leave out?

Well, got my used BJU Biology in the mail yesterday.

It seems like A LOT of cover in a year. But it looks like an AWESOME-COMPLETE curriculum. But I'm ready to tweak it for our family. ;)

Are there any things that you left out of this study(facets maybe).....Labs that you just didn't do....Or ways that you stream-lined this for homeschool use.

OR did you just follow the lesson plans as written in the teacher guides?

In other words, how did you make this work for your family?

Blessings from soggy West Tenn,

Brenda:001_smile:

I haven't seen BJU Biology, but as I've been reading through the teacher's guide for BJU Life Science, it has notes at the beginning of the chapters that say which sections can be skipped.

Granted, there's not very many sections listed, but maybe it would be a starting point.

I am very impressed with BJU Life Science. I can't wait to use it next year! If the Biology holds to the same standard, it will be great.

In my Life Science TE, it's in the Chapter Overview on the right-hand column on the first page of the chapter. Opening at random to Chapter 13, it says in the last paragraph of the chapter overview:

The essentail material includes Subsections 13A.1 - 13A.3. Try to do at least two investigations Note that some must be set up in advance.

HTH

And bear in mind that I've only seen the 6th grade text and 7th grade Life Science.

I've seen posts on the K-8 Curriculum board about dc who have done Life Science and Earth Science mostly independently, so sure, it's do-able, but I don't think that's the norm.

I expect that I will have to do a lot of sitting down and discussing with my ds next year. I think a mom would have to be willing to work ahead and sit down and learn it herself, first. I don't think it will be "open and go."

I would think a motivated mom with a TE and and motivated student could do it. But, a motivated mom with a TE and a motivated student can do about anything, IMHO. ;)

Well, I am not science oriented at all, do you still think i'd be okay???
I am not math or science oriented, either. My ds did the Apologia Biology this year. We did not use dvd's at all, and ds did most of the work himself. He wanted to do the dissections as well, and did fine with them. I'd read over the summaries and quiz him on different aspects to get the info. more concretely in his head before a test. But that's it. He is doing fine.

My daughter used the DIVE cd with the BJU text and I do not believe they left anything out. We both appreciate the worksheets/tests and love the schedule - it makes using the BJU so easy! She has really enjoyed the course and has not felt overwhelmed, though she does spend a lot of time on it.

hth!

Heh, Ya'll

Thanks for all the information and ideas....

Will have to get back to you tomorrow....Oldest DS may have come down with the swine flu. Don't worry though, DS says he must have the "runt" of the litter. He had his throat swabbed at the health dept. Will know something on Tuesday.

Anyway, I have some ideas....been looking through the BJU book and comparing to our Apologia, that we used with oldest DS(one with the runt swine flu). What I MAY do is teach using the BJU text and tests, and then use the Apologia labs, as they tend to be more "homeschool friendly" and we already have all the supplies. We would only need to reorder the dissection "critters". (I was VERY surprised at how similar the labs were in both texts....hmmmm......)

I know we won't use the BJU DVD's due to the cost. (Dave Ramsey might come and get us if we did that!) Trying to stay within the budget. But looking....just looking at the DIVE CD's.....

But since this is our second time through with Biology, I feel more confident than we did our first time around. I think that helps. Don't you? Don't feel the need for DVD's or extra CD's though they would be nice.

Will post tomorrow, as long as DS doesn't take a turn for the worse....

Blessings from the quarantine,

Brenda:001_smile: