Menu

IEW's High School Rhetoric course....

Does anyone know if this can be used even if your student has never used other IEW products.

I am deciding my dd's courses for next year and am finally going to implement the WTM suggestions for high school.

Since she is starting later, we are slightly adjusting and overlapping some of the earlier hs years.

I might just use SWB's main suggestions for Rhetoric and just get as far as we can, but was just curious about the IEW program.

Any thought?

Robin

I spoke to a nice young lady at a convention last year and she said it would be difficult to use it with no prior IEW experience.

From 5th page of the sample:

This book is intended primarily for use with the IEW’s Teaching Writing: Structure and Style program. If you are not familiar with that course, you might find this book difficult to use. Along those lines, it is important to understand that this is not a workbook that will teach the student rhetoric. It is a collection of lessons that you, the teacher, can use to teach rhetoric.

You are the critical element for success with this book

I bought it, intending to use it this year with my 10th grader. It was much too difficult to follow. There isn't any type of teacher guide at all. There are no answers to any of the questions, so if you don't already know the answer (and there were lots of things in that book that I had no clue about), then forget it.