Menu

Can you talk with me about doing "World History" in a year?

I know that this is WTM heretical to be thinking about doing world history in a year, but I've elected to do high school in a way that 1) allows us to participate in co-ops and ds's to take community college courses and 2) would allow ds's to go to public high school and transfer in smoothly if they chose to do that.

This coming year, a homeschool mom who is a fabulous literature/writing teacher is teaching World Lit. My two high school age dc would be in her class.

I have the classic TOG for year 1 and most of year 2.

If I do this, I'd like a text as a spine.

I'd probably want ds's in high school to take the AP exam for world history, though I don't want to jump through the hoops of applying to have my course approved for AP.

Have any of you done this? What would you recommend for a spine?

I've not followed the differences between classic TOG and revised TOG too carefully. I've got the impression that revised TOG has a better coverage of the philosophy part, and that is appealing, but I can't afford a whole new program. I've got lots of stuff for my middle school dc in terms of living books.

she is taking it through Keystone, though, not at a co-op or through me. She has really enjoyed it. Yes, it doesn't cover all the civilizations as deeply, but she has come away with a very good understanding of the progression of history and how it affects the future societies.

The easiest thing would be to get a decent world history textbook and have your student work through that.

I will say Keystone requires tons of writing...several essays for each test and 2 research papers.

The Keystone correspondence course for World History is $249 for the year...this includes teacher support (limited) learning guide, textbook and evaluation of tests/papers.

Just a thought!

Robin

she is taking it through Keystone, though, not at a co-op or through me. She has really enjoyed it. Yes, it doesn't cover all the civilizations as deeply, but she has come away with a very good understanding of the progression of history and how it affects the future societies.

The easiest thing would be to get a decent world history textbook and have your student work through that.

I will say Keystone requires tons of writing...several essays for each test and 2 research papers.

The Keystone correspondence course for World History is $249 for the year...this includes teacher support (limited) learning guide, textbook and evaluation of tests/papers.

Just a thought!

Robin

What textbook did they use? That info would be helpful if I do it at home, which I'd kinda like to. However, I can see both my ds's working harder for another teacher in terms of writing long papers :) . Does Keystone require kids to be at the computer at a specific time--or just work through the course and meet their requirements/deadlines? Do you know if they would discount for 2 students (ie we'd only need one learning guide and one text...) Thanks for your input.