Menu

Is Lightening Lit THAT good?>

I've used LL 7 and 8 twice and will again with dd#3. It is one curriculum that was everything I could have hoped.

I haven't used the high school levels, and won't as we will use TOG for lit.

But, yes, IMO the 7 and 8 are that good.

I like them but I do not use them exclusively. For example, we did MA/RenRef lit this year. The LL Medieval Lit book only covered a few of the books I wanted them to read so we used SparkNotes, TWEM and Mom ;) as resources for the others. We will probably use the Early American Lit book next year and them add other books that I want for a full year of American Lit.

We used it this year for my daughter for American literature. We signed up with them, and an outside teacher is grading the papers. It is very good for a self-learner. Literature is my daughter's forte, so it's not heavy lifting for her. It is a starting point... as others have said. I think it works well for a self-learner.. Not sure how it would work for someone who wasn't.

ame

We used them this year with ds and dd. Neither child really cared for them, and I didn't either. They weren't bad, but they were a struggle for my son who can't just pop writing ideas out of his mind. My dd didn't like some of the assignments as they were "goofy". My son needs more of a step by step approach. The comprehension questions were a little light. The writing selections were fine for my dd's writing level and ability.

I am contemplating selling mine and going with Progeny Press next year. Also, I should mention that we only use the full length books as dd and ds have reading/lit books that they use as well.

Jennie

wow.

Having read these responses, apparently I have been doing my kids a disservice. I guess I need to reevaluate. :sad:..slinking off to find a hole into which I will crawl.

I wouldn't compare what you do to the rest of us or anyone else. We each have different circumstances and children and personal preferences. We should each use what we are most comfortable with and what suits our schools the best.

Jennie

Not the be-all and end-all, but really good... and easy enough to add to if you need more. We always tweak (because I can't leave well enough alone... LOL), but I wouldn't turn up my nose at using them straight out of the box.

We've used LL7 and LL8 for middle school, and they were exactly right for us -- right timing, right amount of work, interesting and gentle introductions into literary analysis, using complete works, and covering a variety of works (novels of different types; short stories; poetry).

In middle school, our boys were not very strong independent workers, and LL7 and LL8 were extremely easy to use aloud together. And doing them aloud together was great, as it sparked discussion and we learned vocabulary in the moment / in context. I definitely give credit to LL7 and LL8, along with Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, as the 3 lit. programs used in middle school as contributing factors to our family enjoying classic literature, and literary analysis.

We found the workpages to be varied and helpful. Most are geared toward learning to put the literary element learned into practice. A few are for practice occasional grammar and writing information used in writing a paper (i.e., editing; fixing incomplete / run-on sentences; capitalization / punctuation; citing sources; etc.); and, especially in the last half of LL8 have the student beginning to practice basic analysis. Of the 11-12 worksheet pages for each unit, 2 were "busy work" of a word search and a crossword puzzle.

We have not used any of the high school level LL programs yet, but have used a wide variety of literature guides to go with works read -- often more than one guide per work in order to gain a wider perspective. I am considering using the 2 LL American Lit. high school programs along with other material as we study American Lit. next year.

From reading through various threads on LL, it seems to me that families who are just getting started with literary analysis are generally very pleased with LL. Families with advanced students, or families who have already done literary analysis with other programs find LL to be "lite". I'd recommend looking at the sample lessons (a complete lesson out of each of LL7 and LL8 are available for viewing) at the Hewitt Homeschooling website to decide for yourself. :001_smile: Warmest regards, Lori D.

LL7 sample chapter: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/3249s%20Chp%201.pdf

LL8 sample chapter: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/3285s%20chp%201.pdf

LL Early-Mid Amer. Lit sample: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/LL%20Early-Mid%20Amer.pdf

LL Mid-Late Amer. Lit sample: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/LL%20Mid-Late%20Amer.pdf

Edited by Lori D.
added info

From reading through various threads on LL, it seems to me that families who are just getting started with literary analysis are generally very pleased with LL. Families with advanced students, or families who have already done literary analysis with other programs find LL to be "lite". I'd recommend looking at the sample lessons (a complete lesson out of each of LL7 and LL8 are available for viewing) at the Hewitt Homeschooling website to decide for yourself. :001_smile: Warmest regards, Lori D.

I agree with this. My oldest has had four years of literary analysis with Christian Light Education Reading and discussing various Sonlight books with me plus that long with IEW, and I felt that LL7 and LL8 would not be challenging for him. I had decided in January to go with Progeny Press if he couldn't do Classical Conversations Challenge A. Thankfully that looks like a go, and he'll get a lot of literary analysis and writing with the teacher they have lined up.

One year at a time though, so I'm still holding Progeny Press and other options in my pocket.