Menu

dual credit on a high school transcript: how to count credits?

So, dd, a junior, took two, 3 credit hour art courses and a 3 credit hr US Gov't course this year at the state univ. How do I list those on her transcript in terms of high school credits? I normally write up credits as 1 credit for a whole year of work, so she usually takes 7-8 credits per year.

This will especially be important when she takes dual credit physics next year. Does she have to take two semesters of it to count as a fourth year of science, or is one enough, since the pace will be different (?) than high school science. (She's an artsy gal with little desire to do science, but she wants to do physics at the cc, so she can have access to a great lab.)

Help?

Thanks!

Most of the schools I've dealt with count one college course taken in high school as equal to a full year of high school level work. My son took 3 dual credit courses his freshman year and I counted them each as a full year of high school credit. The private school he entered as a sophomore also gave a full year of credit for the courses they used. I will be providing his transcript for these courses as part of his application package, as well, so that there's not any doubt about what sorts of courses they were.

Most of the schools I've dealt with count one college course taken in high school as equal to a full year of high school level work.

Yes, that's what I hear from most people.

My son took 3 dual credit courses his freshman year and I counted them each as a full year of high school credit. The private school he entered as a sophomore also gave a full year of credit for the courses they used. I will be providing his transcript for these courses as part of his application package, as well, so that there's not any doubt about what sorts of courses they were.

How does private school handle the courses your son took as dual while he was a freshman? Do they mark those courses differently?

I wrote a quick reply this morning, then lost the Internet connection during a thunderstorm. :)

I am a meanie--I'd only give 1/2 credit per course for the art courses and for U.S. Government. Government is typically a 1/2 credit course at most high schools anyway, and although art methods courses are time-consuming, I would consider them the *same* time one would put in if you were doing it at a high school.

I do not follow the "rule" of 1 semester course at the college = 1 credit at high school. Frankly, I don't know what your high school experience was, but I worked *at least* as hard at my high school as my children do at the CC...or in our home. So, I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the CC, only take twice as long and cover twice as much!

There have been exceptions, of course. Psychology and Sociology seemed to be the material we'd cover in a year, so they were full credits. But English 111 and English 113 combined (plus the literature I had her read at home!) to be "English III" on her high school transcript.

Anyway, as stingy as I was with credits, my dd graduated with something in the neighborhood of 45 high school credits. I can't imagine how many she would have had if I'd awarded one full credit for each semester of work for her associate's degree. :)

YMMV, of course. If it fits your student's needs (and your school model) to award more credit, it's absolutely legitimate to do so. I just wanted to let you know there are some Draconian moms out there who do not think all college classes are equal for dual enrollment credit on the high school transcript.

Lori

PS I even have warned my younger dd that she will receive NO dual enrollment credit in our high school for CC classes with grades lower than a "B." If she blows a CC class, it's only on her college transcript, and she may stay in high school longer (grin) to earn enough credits to graduate.

there are some Draconian moms out there who do not think all college classes are equal for dual enrollment credit on the high school transcript.

See, that's what kinda made me wonder about these particular courses. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to work so stinkin' hard for AP courses and then have to test at the end of the year on top of it, when they could just take real college classes!! (The local high school has students write 17 essays and complete a pile of reading, the summer before they even begin Ap English Lit., as a requirement for that class!)

(Yeah, I do know...I'm just grousing...)

I think her two arts and the gov't should only be a half credit/one semester thing. But, the physics, if they cover the material at twice the pace (the whole textbook in one semester?), for that I'd give her a full credit. I guess we'll have to see.

I don't know why anyone would want to work so stinkin' hard for AP courses and then have to test at the end of the year on top of it, when they could just take real college classes!!

If kids are applying some of top colleges, they find that they can get college credits through only AP scores. For example, when you get an admission from Harvard, your credits from any colleges not just from CC but also from Yale while you are in high school, will not be honored by Harvard. Otherwise, both ways are acceptable in many case.

I don't know what your high school experience was, but I worked *at least* as hard at my high school as my children do at the CC...or in our home. So, I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the CC,

This topic is quite sensitive to some so I am not going to debate which side is right. I take no side. I undestand both. Having said that, if your logic has to be true absolutely, you will not be able to explain that why AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC have same "1" credit in high schools. They are equivalent to Calculus I, and Calculus I plus Calculus II in colleges resp. Kids learn AP Calculus AB in 1 year in school but it's done in only 1 semester in college. Would you assign just 1/2 credit for Calculus I simply because it's a semester course in college?

If you justify your hardwork for your kids at home with riger demanded at the CC, so you believe CC credits should not be more honored than credits from high school, then you may contradict to other high school credits where any level (--no matter how easy) of courses would allow you to earn "1" credit.

There are lots of ways of approaching giving credits, but I don't think ultimately that a college will accept or decline admission to a student based on whether the 1-semester college course was counted as a 1/2 credit or as 1 credit.

As long as you are consistent, I don't think it matters.

We did it the hard-nosed way -- my dd1 and ds1 took classes at W&M and we only counted them as 1/2 credit each. They worked no harder for those credits than they did for any of their AP or even regular high school classes, so I couldn't justify to myself giving them more credit! (Yes, they got 3-4 credits per course of transfer credit when they actually enrolled in a college).

I don't think it really matter which way you do it. Just be consistent!

I don't know what your high school experience was, but I worked *at least* as hard at my high school as my children do at the CC...or in our home. So, I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the CC,

I posted my message while I was in a rush to leave. Okay, I am back to finish.

High schools issue "1" credit if the course last 1 academic year, no matter how easy or hard. AP courses are hard ones but someone may get same "1" credit by learning regular Algebra 1. Similarly we hear 1-semester college course is worth to "1" high school credit, with same reason. It's just based on uniform standard.

In your homeschooling, you make a policy so you do what you believe. But if you employ reasoning of your hard work to high school your kids at the CC in our home, then I am afraid that you may have to issue your kids' Algebra I / Algebra II/ Geometry to just a 1/2 credit even they may spend a year. I only hope at this moment that you are not a person who think CC courses deserve less. This issue is nothing to do with CC. Harvard does not accept credits you may have earned from Yale or any colleges while you are in high school.

There are lots of ways of approaching giving credits, but I don't think ultimately that a college will accept or decline admission to a student based on whether the 1-semester college course was counted as a 1/2 credit or as 1 credit.

...... my dd1 and ds1 took classes at W&M and we only counted them as 1/2 credit each. They worked no harder for those credits than they did for any of their AP or even regular high school classes, so I couldn't justify to myself giving them more credit!

I agree with you. In your homeschooling, you are a policy maker, so you do what you believe. I take no side in this issue, but I am afraid that one of above poster might approached this issue based on reasoning that CC courses are somewhat for less. I do not think the person can say "I don't know what your high school experience was, but I worked *at least* as hard at my high school as my children do at the Harvard/Yale/etc (instead of CC)."

One more thing, you belived your kids worked no harder at W&M than they did for their APs and you gave them 1/2 credit each. Well, as (your or any other) kids will continue learn in a similar way in college, are you concluding that college educations are offered at less quality than high school educations in general?

Would you assign just 1/2 credit for Calculus I simply because it's a semester course in college?

No, in fact, I was not consistent at all. :) I assigned courses that met my requirements for a 36-week high school course "1 credit" and the courses that met my requirements for an 18-week (or 2 day per week) course "1/2 credit" no matter where the majority of the instruction took place. Some of those credits were for courses that she attended lectures on campus, some were online, some were in textbooks in our living room, and some were from my direct instruction.

100% of my student's high school work was done *in our high school* (even if she submitted some part of it to the CC for dual credit). So, I awarded credit based on her high school submission, not the CC transcript. (She had a CC transcript for that!) If it was going to go on *my* high school's transcript, then she not only met the syllabus and requirements of the CC, she also met *additional* requirements for my high school. I also developed courses that are nontraditional in scope and sequence (Aviation Mechanics, anyone?), and gave credit for those when appropriate. (Most of those came off our final transcript, because then she'd have had waaaaaaay too many credits.)

Anyway, your argument doesn't really apply unless hsers are simply recording the grades administered by the CC professor onto their high school transcripts. Then, I would suppose that consistency would be the thing. My students were (and are) well-aware that an "A" from the CC does not immediately imply an A at home. Diligence, orderliness, independence, integrity and honor all factor into our course contracts, and affect our students' grades. Over and above the CC academic report.

This issue is nothing to do with CC. Harvard does not accept credits you may have earned from Yale or any colleges while you are in high school.

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed your point, as I'm sure you missed mine. Obviously my students' goals factor into our entire high school design! Neither of my children intend to attend a school like Harvard. Far from it. We are proponents of in-state, local, and as reasonably affordable bachelor's degrees as one can attain. :) (If Harvard is your local school, and your student received a full scholarship, then outstanding!) Since all our local, in-state universities accept transfer credits from the CC completely (with a statewide transfer agreement), it was to our students' benefit to take courses at the CC. Couple that with the policy that high school students may attend the CC tuition-free, and you have yet another reason our high school is designed to take advantage of that fact.

But we have had very high standards for our coursework prior to entering the CC, and found, on the whole, that we were already working "at college level" full-time. Harder, in some areas. Too hard, frankly. So I just rated the courses at the CC as if I'd designed and implemented them at home, and gave credit accordingly. Plus I always tweaked them with our extra contract agreement each semester anyway. :)

It was a flippant comment about "I worked just as hard..." I have nightmarish memories of my (PS) high school experience, where with AP, student leadership, and state competitions I never needed the extra challenge of CC to master a classroom experience. And so although I have been proud of the diligent work my daughters have done, I don't elevate it to "Wow, they finished a year's worth of material in 4 months!" unless, of course, they do. Ha!

I assigned courses that met my requirements for a 36-week high school course "1 credit" and the courses that met my requirements for an 18-week (or 2 day per week) course "1/2 credit" no matter where the majority of the instruction took place.

As my son just started homeschooling this year as a 9th grader in high school, but taking college courses, I myself have been watching this issue. For the time being I take no side. However, I am puzzled that someone could just assume one semester in high school is equivalent to same one semester work in college in terms of assigning credits. I do not believe it. Learning speed is different. AP Calculus AB is done through a year in high school but same content, Calculus 1, is done in a semester in college, for example. That's why only very selected kids in high schools are placed in AP Calculus BC (instead of AB) as its learning speed is same as in college.

My son not only took Calculus I/ II in college this year, but also he took AP test yesterday. Getting "credits" from college is not his concern but learning itself. So we are free from this debate and thus we take no side. My son was in public school until last year, so I know how slowly they teach kids in school.

If I assign just 1/2 credit for his college work then it's because otherwise he would have too many credits (as you mentioned). Otherwise, I feel 1 semester work at the college is more proper to be treated as 1 year work in high school.

Neither of my children intend to attend a school like Harvard. Far from it. We are proponents of in-state, local, and as reasonably affordable bachelor's degrees as one can attain.

My mentioning "Harvard" was as an EXAMPLE because someone posted with question that "Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to work so stinkin' hard for AP courses and then have to test at the end of the year on top of it, when they could just take real college classes!!". I brought the attention to the poster that some colleges like harvard for example accept AP scores only for college credits,not actual college credits.

If Harvard is your local school, and your student received a full scholarship, then outstanding!

You mentioned IF. Well, IF we are in near Harvard, my son who completed 8th grade would be a full time college student in the campus now when he can go to college from home not from campus Dorms at such young age. It would be simple solution but we are not that fortunate, and thus we have to keep this kid at home for several more years. I do not appreciate someone talk on this sensitive one with tone like you.

They don't count any courses taken by a student at any school other than their own. They simply put on their transcript that xxxx course was taken and passed. So I submit my transcript along with theirs, showing how I listed all courses he took with me. I have them listed as dual credit courses and will attach the transcript from the university, as well.

These were not community college courses, by the way. They were taken from Indiana University. I know that there is some question about how to count community college courses and I agree that coursework at some such colleges is more questionable than others.

That said, I think that anyone taking community college courses for credit would have to look to other admitting universities in the area to see how they count courses from that school. If many other universities will accept their credits, then I'd think it would be okay to count those (at least the more rigorous of those) as dual credits. If a number of universities in the area do not recognize credits from that community college, then there may be problems with their programming and one might rethink how to count those credits.

That said, I think that anyone taking community college courses for credit would have to look to other admitting universities in the area to see how they count courses from that school. If many other universities will accept their credits, then I'd think it would be okay to count those (at least the more rigorous of those) as dual credits. If a number of universities in the area do not recognize credits from that community college, then there may be problems with their programming and one might rethink how to count those credits.

I do not believe the topic is about whether colleges will honor your dc's college credits which they earned while in high school. Instead, I believe the topic we are in is how to assign college course dual credits into high school transcript------ 1 semester college course credits into "1" high school credit or "1/2".

My mentioning "Harvard" was as an EXAMPLE because someone posted with question that "Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to work so stinkin' hard for AP courses and then have to test at the end of the year on top of it, when they could just take real college classes!!". I brought the attention to the poster that some colleges like harvard for example accept AP scores only for college credits,not actual college credits.

You mentioned IF. Well, IF we are in near Harvard, my son who completed 8th grade would be a full time college student in the campus now when he can go to college from home not from campus Dorms at such young age. It would be simple solution but we are not that fortunate, and thus we have to keep this kid at home for several more years. I do not appreciate someone talk on this sensitive one with tone like you.

What are you talking about? I have been trying to follow your thought process here, but I don't understand. Is your 8th grader taking college classes? Or are you not having him take college classes because some colleges don't accept them?

I am now thoroughly confused.

If the college won't honor the credit, it's useless.

Not to everyone. I can name many colleges right now where you will find that they do not honor any college credits you have earned while you were in high school.

Anyway, that's why I made a point that doing APs is a good thing because they do honor AP scores for college credits.

Is your 8th grader taking college classes? Or are you not having him take college classes because some colleges don't accept them? I am now thoroughly confused.

You missed the point here. Why do you have to know about my son, when the topic here is how many credit you would assign into high school transcript if your dc take college courses while in high school.

My students were (and are) well-aware that an "A" from the CC does not immediately imply an A at home.

OK, now you've got me curious. Did you ever actually have to assign a grade lower than what was received at the CC? I'm curious because I felt that some of the grades my son received were not what I would have given him for the work he did (mostly in freshman composition), but I couldn't figure out how to explain an "A" on the CC transcript with a "B" on the homeschool transcript for the same course. But, on the other hand, the professor obviously thought he worked in the top of the class - so the grade reflected the work he did in that environment. I guess the competition wasn't too tough :-).

... Did you ever actually have to assign a grade lower than what was received at the CC? I'm curious because I felt that some of the grades my son received were not what I would have given him for the work he did (mostly in freshman composition), but I couldn't figure out how to explain an "A" on the CC transcript with a "B" on the homeschool transcript for the same course.

This is not quite what you're asking about, however, the grades I put on my daughter's "Official Homeschool Transcript" did not exactly match the grades on her community college transcript. This is because the community college uses pluses and minuses, but I do not. So some of her grades went from A+ to A while another went from A- to A. I think I would not have changed the letter value though without explaining it in my counselor letter.

Regards,

Kareni

OK, now you've got me curious. Did you ever actually have to assign a grade lower than what was received at the CC? I'm curious because I felt that some of the grades my son received were not what I would have given him for the work he did (mostly in freshman composition), but I couldn't figure out how to explain an "A" on the CC transcript with a "B" on the homeschool transcript for the same course. But, on the other hand, the professor obviously thought he worked in the top of the class - so the grade reflected the work he did in that environment. I guess the competition wasn't too tough :-).

I am encountering these challenges for the first time in this second child. GRIN. My older dd performed beautifully in her high school experience with merely the threat of this (LOL), so instead of changing an A to a B, I just awarded courses that weren't that challenging 1/2 credit. The firstborn is a kid who makes A's in the hard courses, and the easier ones. But I can absolutely tell you that before she got an A in some of the easier courses on the high school transcript, she wrote *me* additional papers and read other novels. I'm sneakier at this than it sounds...more along the lines of, "Oh, I can't believe that course omitted this book! You should read it--it's wonderful! Write an essay about it when you are done for your portfolio."

My second child has done very well, don't get me wrong. But we don't have all the grades in yet...and she may be doing extra work this summer. I was very proud of her freshman comp--she made an A--and also her digital photography course, which was *very* challenging and she worked tremendously hard in...for 1/2 credit. Electives. :)

Here's an anecdote: my dd2 got in a philosophical disagreement with her freshman comp professor. She's far more liberal (thanks to my terrible influence!) than most people in our area, particularly on some specific social issues. So, when he scoffed that anyone would write a paper "from that angle," it was like a red flag to my child. So, of course, that's just what she did. And then she also proceeded to FORGET TO INCLUDE A WORKS CITED PAGE! Argh. She very reasonably received an F on the paper. (Boy did she learn a lesson!) And she was unable to rework and resubmit the paper, due to his policy. She worked *so hard* to pull that grade up and still received an A, but had she not received an A, I'd have been tempted to allow her to rework that paper, and given her an A on her high school English grade...primarily due to courage and diligence.

Not to everyone. I can name many colleges right now where you will find that they do not honor any college credits you have earned while you were in high school.

Anyway, that's why I made a point that doing APs is a good thing because they do honor AP scores for college credits.

Dear HomeschoolWhy?,

There is a mantra on this board which I think should be repeated since you are new here: Check with the college.

As you are probably aware, there is not a standard among colleges for what is accepted. Further, many colleges are beginning to limit the number of overall APs accepted or are using APs for placement purposes--not credit. Another trend I have seen is only giving credit for AP after students complete a departmental exam or follow up course. It really depends (dare I say) on the whims of the college.

For many of the students whose parents participate on these boards, AP is the way to go. For others, the CC experience (with its added classroom/social component) may be desirable.

I realized that the conversation in the thread has strayed from the initial question of distribution of credits, but that is the way we operate on this board. There are lots of rabbit holes and participants are often curious about our kids--do not take offense.

Best regards,

Jane

I had logged in and composed a very nice post, and the board software shows me logged in, but still dumped it. (When will I learn to copy before I hit Submit?!?)

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for the responses.

I wanted to clarify something I implied when I posted asking why someone would want to do all the work of AP courses? We are not looking at highly selective Ivies, but we are very interested in selective LACs with a great art department. (We have a short list of about four at this time.) Their policies on APs show that at most dd#2 would comp out of a semester of freshman comp with a 5. She is a fantastic student, but not a great high stakes test taker, at least not yet. ;) If I were inclined to have her take university english, that's the way I'd go, because she'd transfer in 6 credit hours, not AP out of 3.

That said, I'm not impressed with what the university english courses cover (ds #1 is a freshman), and I doubt they'll do anything to help her grow as a writer, so we are doing neither of the above! :)

I wanted to clarify because what I wrote made it sound like we were slacking, when it's just that I really couldn't see the point of most of the AP classes. (That said, she is taking AP Pysch this year, not because it's an AP, but because it is a great option for Psych, taught by a prof with a Christian worldview.)

Thanks to all for their input!

As you are probably aware, there is not a standard among colleges for what is accepted. Further, many colleges are beginning to limit the number of overall APs accepted or are using APs for placement purposes--not credit. Another trend I have seen is only giving credit for AP after students complete a departmental exam or follow up course. It really depends (dare I say) on the whims of the college.

I know your point. Your concern was due to my trying to answer in simple form when someone in this thread brought a question : Ă¢â‚¬Å“Why do you take AP courses when it's much harder than taking real college courses from CC?Ă¢â‚¬

I tried to let the poster know that, there are some colleges out there and favor APs over dual college credits. Those colleges may give you college credits through APs but not through dual college credits you earned while in high school.

Yes, of course I am aware that AP is not the solution either. As you said, you may get only some credits, or none through APs depend on colleges you are admitted.

If kids are applying some of top colleges, they find that they can get college credits through only AP scores. For example, when you get an admission from Harvard, your credits from any colleges not just from CC but also from Yale while you are in high school, will not be honored by Harvard. Otherwise, both ways are acceptable in many case.

I posted below about this--a better explanation of what I meant lest I sell us short and make it sound like we're looking for the easy way out. We're not.

I'm not talking about credits from a CC. I said from the university (not that that is any kind of a guarantee, which is why we are picking what she studies and who is polishing her very good writing skills,) although I understand that you are saying that univ credits may not transfer either, even from another Tier 1 school.

I understand that you are saying that univ credits may not transfer either, even from another Tier 1 school.

Yes, exactly. If you are admitted by the Harvard, and you have many dual college credits from Yale while in high school, you still save none of Yale credits. It's a just plane example. That's why I posted previously that this is nothing to do with CC credits (who may try to color CC as lower quality education), but from any colleges.

So what's the point of saying like " I offer riger to my kids at home at the level of CC, so I only assign 1/2 credit for CC courses".

Does this poster still can say same way like "Oh, I offer riger at home at the level of Harvard, so dual courses from Harvard deserves only 1/2 credit"?

Wherever you learn, learning well should be the your main goal. If you learned well at home or at CC, why are you afraid? You can ask CC credits to get transferred, if not take AP tests or take college placement test to prove you have proper knowledge.

These were not community college courses, by the way. They were taken from Indiana University.

What's your point? If certain colleges have policy not to honor dual college credits, not just credits from Indiana University, but also any dual credits from Harvard/Yale/etc will not be honored. This is not a issue as dual credits from Indiana University vs. CC.

I do not follow the "rule" of 1 semester course at the college = 1 credit at high school.

I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the CC,

I wonder if you still can say same way that "I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the Harvard (: instead ofCC)". I think not.

You are instantly discrediting your kid's getting AA degree at CC while in high school and transfer it to 4 years university to get BA/BS with just adding 2 more years of study. If CC offers only at the high school rigor, I wonder why you are proud of your kid's short cut in getting BA degree. This topic is nothing to do with CC quality. Again, Harvard accept NO dual credits from Yale (or any colleges) either. So I have to wonder why CC is in the test here.

I wonder if you still can say same way that "I find that the courses we design at home are right on par with the rigor demanded at the Harvard (: instead ofCC)". I think not.

You are instantly discrediting your kid's getting AA degree at CC while in high school and transfer it to 4 years university to get BA/BS with just adding 2 more years of study. If CC offers only at the high school rigor, I wonder why you are proud of your kid's short cut in getting BA degree. This topic is nothing to do with CC quality. Again, Harvard accept NO dual credits from Yale (or any colleges) either. So I have to wonder why CC is in the test here.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. :)

So what's the point of saying like " I offer riger to my kids at home at the level of CC, so I only assign 1/2 credit for CC courses". Integrity to our homeschool's standards.

I can't speak for any other posters. I thought most places counted one high school year course equal to one 3 or 4 hours semester credit from a college source, but I don't think that the course was that much work, so I will choose to count it as 1/2 high school credit in my high school. No matter what colleges do with it later, I'm responsible for my my student's high school transcript. Of course they'll also receive her college transcript, but that part is up to them, and I really don't care what they do with it.

Does this poster still can say same way like "Oh, I offer riger at home at the level of Harvard, so dual courses from Harvard deserves only 1/2 credit"? I can tell you for sure that I'd do the very same thing I mentioned above, no matter where she took the course. If the work my student completed was approximately the same as we complete for a high school course, then that's the way I'd list it, no more, no less.

Wherever you learn, learning well should be the your main goal. Agreed.

If you learned well at home or at CC, why are you afraid? I didn't say I was afraid; I was just checking for general direction in my OP, but my heart is with the minority vote, given the nature of these particular courses. You can ask CC credits to get transferred, if not take AP tests (not a chance) or take college placement test (that would be reasonable) to prove you have proper knowledge.

Thanks for you input, HomeschoolWhy?. This will be the end of my posts on this topic, as my alotted playtime is over.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. :)

You are wrong. How can you have two faces? You are so proud of own kid's getting AA in CC while in high school as dual, and being able to get BS in 2 years as a result. But same time you are so eager to color CC has rigor only at the level at high school. If you believe CC has no rigor, do not send your kids in CC. If you do, please do not try CC into question.

You are wrong. How can you have two faces? You are so proud of own kid's getting AA in CC while in high school as dual, and being able to get BS in 2 years as a result. But same time you are so eager to color CC has rigor only at the level at high school. If you believe CC has no rigor, do not send your kids in CC. If you do, please do not try CC into question.

I have not, and do not, argue the courses have no rigor. I argue that some courses have *no more* rigor than we do in our own home, in the same time spent. I never give 1 credit on the high school transcript for coursework that she completes in one semester at home. At home, work that takes 4 months would be 1/2 credit. At the CC, for the high school portion of her "credits," some courses were *no more* rigorous than work we'd do at home in the same period. So, while she earned 3 credit hours on her college transcript, she earned 1/2 credit for her high school transcript.

Other courses at the CC were brilliant. Outstanding. Rigorous. Challenging. Much better than I could do at home, because they are outside my fields of expertise, and taught by gifted, talented professionals who pushed her to read, think and learn. Those courses were truly worth 1 full credit, despite the fact that they were finished in four months, because she completed the workload I'd have designed for 36 weeks of work.

The movie quote I used above was my attempt to be light-hearted and end this discussion. You have persisted, despite my repeated attempts to explain. As a participant on this forum for 9 years, I have been very fortunate to share my limited experiences in open and honest dialogue to the benefit of my children and others. I never say anything I don't mean, but it's obvious that what I mean must not be clear in this situation.

Let me end with this...her high school transcript and her college transcript are two different institutions administering credits. Ours do not match. At. All. Yet, her high school transcript is the only one I was *ever* talking about as far as awarding and not awarding credits. All of her credits (no matter where the instruction was taken) were awarded by me. None of the universities to which she applied failed to accept any of them as evidence of high school graduation standards met. Even if she'd applied to Harvard, she would have been admitted as a high school graduate (were she lucky enough to be admitted at all!).

Obviously, every university has different standards whether or not the *college credits* would be accepted. But I am not responsible for that, and was never talking about whether or not Harvard, Duke, or University of Mississippi would accept her credits earned in high school *for college graduation.*

We chose the path we did precisely because the college coursework was transferable, and did shorten her time in school. I am certainly most proud of her--her diligence, her honesty, her grace, her kindness, and her transparency in her life. I can only hope to live up to her example.

As a participant on this forum for 9 years, I have been very fortunate to share my limited experiences in open and honest dialogue to the benefit of my children and others.

Yes, this is a weirdly combative and persistent thread, especially for the high school board. Who knew dual-enrollment was such a hot topic? I thought that was limited to issues like Growing Kids God's Way on the general board. :)

Who knew dual-enrollment was such a hot topic?

Exactly. That's my question why people in this thread are so eager to differentiate that their kids take courses from universities not from cc stuff, or cc courses deserve getting less credits because their teaching at home standard is at least at the rigor of CC stuff. In making your points, why it's necessary for you to bring CC and color it at most high school level? If CC is that low, why do you send kids there? As a parent who seek education from everywhere, I do respect CC along with any higher education institutes.

This will make sense only those parents are supper who not only can take care own kids' high schooling, but also ready to offer all of BS, Ms or Ph.D degrees to own kids at home.

Do you have to show you are that confident and super? Many of you have given wrong info here perhaps without your knowledge. I placed my info to share just based on simple facts.

Do you have to show you are that confident and super?

The high school board is very helpful and friendly. Nobody has attacked you personally, although you've used plenty of harsh words against other posters, like the quote above. I noticed you joined this month...which is only 8 days old...yet you have 77 posts already. Maybe you could sit back, read through some threads for a while, and get a "feel" for the board before coming on so strong.

Also, (forgive me if I am way wrong), I think English might not be your native language so you might be misinterpreting the tone of the comments on this thread. Nobody's attacking your decisions. Really. Nobody's claiming they are superior. Really.

I live in TN and I am registered with an umbrella that operates under the Jeter Memo. This means that my umbrella decides what is worth a credit.

The rule of thumb is that a 1-3 credit hour course is worth 1/2 credit, but a 4 credit hour science course that consists of lecture and lab is worth 1 credit.

Honestly, this makes no sense to me. It would make sense to say that a 2 credit hour course is 1/2 credit; a 3 credit hour course is worth 3/4 credit; a 4 credit hour course is worth 1 credit. Although I do understand that then you would have some confused parents wanting the umbrella to provide guidelines for earning 1/4 of a credit to make up a whole credit after taking a 3 hour course.

HTH-

Mandy

Alrighty, I called my friend down the street whose daughter is in the public school and took English through dual enrollment this year. At the public school for which I am zoned a 3 credit hour class whether taken at the university or the CC is only worth a 1/2 credit. Her daughter had to take a 3 credit hour English class in the fall and another 3 hour English class in the spring in order to earn a full credit in English.

She wasn't sure about 4 credit hour courses, because her daughter hasn't taken any. However, she thinks that they are also only worth a 1/2 credit.

HTH-

Mandy

Perhaps now would be a good time to revisit this statement.

HmmmĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.you are asking me to revisit my statement. Did I take only 1 side? Have you missed anything in your reading? If you have missed some and you still want to know, then let me restate. I have listened both sidesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ argument with Ă¢â‚¬Å“openĂ¢â‚¬ mind. I found pros in both sides .(1) For people who are assigning Ă¢â‚¬Å“1Ă¢â‚¬ credit : Calculus I in dual is equivalent to AP Calculus AB in schools. Although itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a semester course in college, I think assigning Ă¢â‚¬Å“1Ă¢â‚¬ credit to the course makes more sense. So I understand those peopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s view. (2) For people who are assigning Ă¢â‚¬Å“1/2Ă¢â‚¬ credit : Someone may prefer assigning just Ă¢â‚¬Å“1/2Ă¢â‚¬ credit because their kids have too many dual credits. I understand their reasoning also.

So I find pros from both sides. However I was bothered when someone said of assigning Ă¢â‚¬Å“1/2Ă¢â‚¬ credit for each college courses based on reason that CC rigor is only at their homeschool level.

However if your question is about where I stand in AP vs. Dual, thenĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ again, I have been just listening with Ă¢â‚¬Å“openĂ¢â‚¬ mind. And I see pros in both sides. I come up with 3 type of colleges in terms of awarding you college credits as below,

Type I : Some colleges will accept any college level work you have done including dual college credits or AP scores. If you are looking for transferring and feel AP is harder, getting dual credits is okay option.

Type II : Some accept NO dual college credits, but respect AP scores.

TYPE III : Some colleges will honor AP scores little or none. ( ---This automatically implies that they honor NO dual college credits either.---). They can allow you to earn only certain amount of credits by AP. Some others will honor none of AP. But they do give an opportunity to advance. They may allow you to take advanced courses or will ask you to go through placement test to see if you have knowledge to take advanced level.

Nobody has attacked you personally

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not about me. It was about (some of) you attacking CC. Some of you in this thread have been bashing CC in general. I simply asked them not to do it. I asked them to respect CC as long as they send kids there. If you really believe CC has only rigor at your homeschool level, if you are concerned about you kids not learning there, you shouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be using CC, instead of bashing CC.

As new, I was so bothered and wondered why those of you can not make your point without attacking CCĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s integrity. Because you have power, with reason of Ă¢â‚¬Å“tone was rudeĂ¢â‚¬, you can ban anyone who disagree with you. But this forum has no one on behalf of CC, and ban those of you attackers on CC with rude tone. You are free to attack CCĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s integrity, and I am concerned viewers to get wrong information from you.

I DO believe that there are many wonderful CCs out there where kids are learning well. Real learning often depends on how sincere learner you are. Regardless where your knowledge is from, sincere learners CAN take AP tests and prove successfully. I respect all higher educational institutions including CC. Sorry I couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give you sweet treat, but I will give you one good news------ I have no desire to play with you in your playground (Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Well-Closed MindĂ¢â‚¬Â¦) further.

It seems to be a thing in flux right now. Every school I've checked has a slightly different policy, LOL. You'll just have to check schools that are of interest to you, I'm afraid.

It's funny, just a couple of years ago, schools were talking about moving kids through more quickly because so many were dawdling in finishing their degrees and courses were over-filled, etc. So you'd think that would make them move toward encouraging kids to come in with more credits already under their belt. But now, so many are refusing to grant even transfer credits from other schools that it seems like a complete about-face! I guess the down-turn in the economy has caused them to rethink rushing kids through their under-grad degrees.....

What my nephew did to prepare for college entrance as late as fall of 2009 looks very different from what my own son is doing to prepare for entrance fall of 2010, because of how AP/dual credits are being treated.