Menu

Is there another "fun" math program besides LOF?

Life of Fred is the only "fun" math program I've found. My dc would be happy to use just that, but I insist we continue on with BCM, too, to be sure we hit all the bases. This dc prefers a mastery approach, but still needs review, so that's why the combination. Review and fun with LOF, mastery with BCM. Is there any other program that combines the best of both? (TT has so much review that this dc hated it - anything else?)

We're not quite done with the pre-algebra books, and they don't have any supplemental materials. Do you think the algebra books and supplemental materials are sufficient for mastery? This dc despises the spiral approach in most textbooks, but accepts the review in LOF, simply because it is fun. I'm just nervous to make it the entire program. Maybe the supplemental problems with the algebra would give my dc enough practice, but I don't know yet. What do you think?

I think you will have to try it and see.

Ds didn't like LoF, so we went back to Foerster. He thought the story line was a waste of time that made math take longer.

Dd didn't like LoF either (I tried) and is doing BCM now. I still feel the need to occasionally print off a worksheet I've found online for a particular topic. She actually likes those (which we do timed) but they are just for practice after she has had the explanation.

If your dc like LoF, I would keep going with it, with the supplements, adding in the occasional work sheet as necessary. I think liking the book is realy the most important, because then they stay engaged.

BTW, I compared LoF and Foerster at the algebra I level and the topics covered were the same.

Ds didn't like LoF, so we went back to Foerster. He thought the story line was a waste of time that made math take longer.

LOL! For this dc, the story line is what makes it all bearable!

BTW, I compared LoF and Foerster at the algebra I level and the topics covered were the same.

Oh, good! I haven't looked at Foerster yet, but if it's like any other algebra book, this dc isn't going to like it. Maybe LoF will be enough after all. Thank you!

My kids think Saxon is entertaining! Mr. Saxon throws in interesting, unusual vocabulary words in his word problems. My kids keep a dictionary by the math books so they can look them up. Sometimes they'll find puns and such. They have great affection for the author!

Differents strokes for different folks!