Menu

9th grade college prep science

I had tentatively planned on:

9th grade Prentice Hall Physcial Science

10th grade - abeka biology (but I'd be interested in opinions on it or other enjoyed programs. I just don't want to use BJU or Apologia)

11th grade - abeka or PH chemistry

12th conceptual physics of some sort as yet undecided

would it be better to take biology first? if so would it be wise or unwise to skip physical science entirely? (thus just doing bio, chem, physics?)

ug. just when I think I have a plan...

dh decided to do more than give funds and give an opinion and ask questions!:tongue_smilie:

What about PH Biology using the Kolbe lesson plans?

I would be okay with that, I really like Kolbe's plans, which I have for PH phy sci.

My dh is suggesting that there's no need for physical sci. and we shouldjust skip to the real meat.:)

If one has had a solid physical science course in middle school, there is no need to take one in high school. It would be excellent for a student who has not been exposed to the concepts before, especially the beginning chemistry which will be applied in biology. It would also be good for a student who will not be ready for chemistry in 10th.

If one has had a solid physical science course in middle school, there is no need to take one in high school. It would be excellent for a student who has not been exposed to the concepts before, especially the beginning chemistry which will be applied in biology. It would also be good for a student who will not be ready for chemistry in 10th.

perfect! that's what I wanted to know. My ds hasn't had a very structured formal science until now. Basicly dh wanted to know if physcial science is covering something you just have to know to do the bio and chem subjects later. It appears that there is?

Martha,

We're using Apologia. I know you're not headed that way but I'll tell you what we're covering. We are college prep (at least my oldest is) and heading into a science major.

9th--Biology

10th--Chem

11th--Advanced Bio (anatomy and physiology) and Physics (This was Jordan's choice. Biology is his passion and physics is his hobby.;))

12th--Advanced Physics (He's considering taking Adv. Chem here, too. But, he's finding out this year that he sees chem more as a necessary evil.:lol:)

okay...

someone clarify things for me?

isn't phsycial science just a mixed introduction to bio, chem and physcis?

IOW, if it IS basicly an introduction course, can it be skipped to go directly to those courses?

I agree with the other posters.

My daughter will study biology next year in 9th grade. California state content standards include physical science in 8th grade, so that's what we've done this year.

Our high school science sequence will be biology, chemistry, and then physics, which is what I did in the college prep track in high school.

isn't physical science just a mixed introduction to bio, chem and physcis?

QUOTE]

It's more a mixture of Chemistry and Physics but not Biology. One might consider such a class a gentle introduction to the more advanced sciences. It might be a good introduction to more challenging work, and it might also be the first textbook science class a homeschooler has.

Regards,

Kareni

It's more a mixture of Chemistry and Physics but not Biology. One might consider such a class a gentle introduction to the more advanced sciences. It might be a good introduction to more challenging work, and it might also be the first textbook science class a homeschooler has.

Regards,

Kareni

hmmm okay now you have me seriously leaning towards not doing physical science at all and just moving into biology.

altho ds hasn't had a serius textbook for science, I wouldn't say at all that he is unused to challenging work or being familiar with science, kwim?

I also don't know that it would do much good to have an intro to chem and physics, then do biology then do chem/physics, if that makes any sense?

Hello!

Just a couple of thought about physical science before high school biology. You don't absolutely have to have it. However, a nice intro to chemistry is very helpful, given how much chemistry is covered in HS bio now. If your son has not covered the basics of chemistry, just slow down during the biochem portions of your biology text. We did Apologia Physical Science in Jr High before doing PH Biology: Exploring Life in 9th grade (younger son) and appreciated the background that Phys Sci had given him. Alternatively, you could have your son read up on basic chem ideas over the summer in order to be prepared for bio in the fall. There are some who suggest starting the HS science sequence with chem or physics before covering biology. That is another option, but it depends on math readiness.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

hmmm okay now you have me seriously leaning towards not doing physical science at all and just moving into biology.

altho ds hasn't had a serius textbook for science, I wouldn't say at all that he is unused to challenging work or being familiar with science, kwim?

I also don't know that it would do much good to have an intro to chem and physics, then do biology then do chem/physics, if that makes any sense?

Modern biology classes have a lot more chemistry in them than the ones you probably recall from high school. If he hasn't had any chemistry, he may find this slightly challenging. You could, as suggested before, slow down slightly during these sections to fill in any gaps. You could also do some preparatory reading over the summer using the chemistry portions of a middle school text.

With all the chemistry involved in studying biology today, we're doing chemistry first, and my dd is planning to major in biochem. She's going to do Conceptual Chemistry next year (doesn't need as much math) followed by Conceptual Physics 9th ed (we got the college text free). Then she'll do biology, but that book has not yet been chosen. Since she wants to major in science, she'll need to do a math based Chemistry, which may be her AP Chem. I'm also considering AP Biology. She did Earth & Space for gr 8, and hates it, so we're not planning on that in high school.