Menu

Question for Omnibus Users

What do you use for geography? Have any of you tailored or created a geography curr. that lines up with the Omnibus Primary Readings? My ds13 is doing Omnibus 2 this year, and we haven't done much with maps since he started with Omnibus. I was hoping not to add another full-blown course, but something he could do once or twice per week. He's got a pretty full plate already.

Thanks for your ideas.

I've recently realized that geography is a real weakness for my children (both are in Omnibus II this year) even though I always point places out on our large wall map. I've printed off some blank maps of Europe and the Middle East, and we spend a few minutes every day going over some parts of that. I'll quiz them every now and again. So no official geography curriculum here -- just being more intentional about it and spending more time.

You can go to

http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/world.htm

for a lot of maps (blackline and filled in) and some other resources to help you.

We used Runkle for a .5 credit of physical geography, adding in their mapping to learn the countries of the world. But you could easily save the $ and use the web.

Oh, and have you seen this? Neat site to show how the Middle East changed.

http://wtmboards.com/K8genJan202007/messages/2564.html

Thanks for your responses, (and, that Middle East history map was fun to watch!). I've decided to create mapwork activites that go along with the readings for Omnibus.

We're reading Beowulf right now, so I found a map of Denmark & Sweden on Nat'l Geographic and printed an outline map to use. Then I made a list of things to find and label. In addition to real places, I'm having my ds draw icons or lines representing the castle of Heorot, Beowulf's voyage to Denmark, and "The Land of the Geats". These latter items will be done using a different medium (maybe colored pencil instead of pen/marker) in order to show that they are "supposed locations".

I'm a great project starter, and not always a good finisher, so we'll see how many maps I can get done. ;) (I'm having to force myself to finish and publish my medieval copybook before launching something new, but maps are so fun!!)

I will try to post the map activities on my blog so that others can use them.