Menu

How should we go about creating a thesis for a history or science paper?

I can comprehend a persuasive paper about literature, because it is so open to interpretation, and I have some experience with that. But, history and science seem so much more cut and dried. I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion there!

I'm wondering if we should start by modeling someone else's opinion? For example, in HOAW it mentions that even though Cyrus portrayed himself as a benevolent liberator, he kept order through fear (my paraphrase, since I can't locate the book just now!). Anyway, could we twist that into, "Even though Cyrus portrayed himself as a benevolent liberator, in actuality he kept order through fear," for a thesis and then give examples that support both the Cyrus's portrayal, and the belief that reality differs from that portrayal?

Am I way off base? (Probably so...I'm not even sure that would *be* a thesis statement - LOL! It seems more like a statement of fact than a true "opinion".)

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Typically, you want your student to write a unique perspective vs "reporting fact."

For example, a high school science thesis would be something along the lines of a researchable/experimental hypothesis. For example, my 9th grader wrote a paper on "Are estrogens and xenoestrogens in the water supply affecting male fertility?" She found research on male fish with eggs, very low male fertility in large urban areas, etc.

Is that what you are asking? BTW.....I have missed talking to you!!

Yes, that's a good thesis statement for history and yes, you support your thesis by historical evidence. There are many issues in science that are a matter of opinion (ie interpreting the data): global warming, whether nuclear power is a better alternative than coal burning plants, etc.

Two common essays in history are arguments about what happened and arguments about what interpretation is right (this could be about an event or a theory. Examining what happened might be difficult at the high school level, though an advanced student might find primary source research interesting. The key is to explain a problem or argument, and then show what you think is best based on evidence.

Here is an example:

Scholars such as Forest McDonald have argued that John Locke played a central role in the political thought of the American founders. Other academics such as Pauline Mayer disagree, arguing instead that Locke's importance has been overstated. This work examines these interpretations through the lens of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia. Careful analysis suggests that Mayer's interpretation is the strongest. (could also argue for McDonald, or suggest a third way).

Other possibilites: Was the Cold War inevitable? Was the American Revolution a conservative revolution? Why did the South suceed? etc etc...

Two common essays in history are arguments about what happened and arguments about what interpretation is right (this could be about an event or a theory. Examining what happened might be difficult at the high school level, though an advanced student might find primary source research interesting. The key is to explain a problem or argument, and then show what you think is best based on evidence.

This is very concise and helpful...it would have made my ds question search much simpler...