Menu

I have it all but English/Lit..need help!

For my 9th grader I have planned

Math: TT

Science: Apologia Physical Science

History: Sonlight Core 6

I can't decide if I should use SL LA or not

How much English/Grammar does a Highschooler need? She is coming out of Public School. Can you suggest something?

most public schools don't touch much on grammar....if you need something just to get her up to speed on grammar, I would suggest Our Mother tongue by Wilson. it has simple lessons to do daily (although we only do it two days per week) and it gets the job done. If she needs some structure in her writing, I would suggest IEW. We have used SL 100 this year and have inserted some IEW writing assignments with the SL assignments. I like that SL assigns response papers to what the stdents is reading, but it can get a little old at the end of each book to write the same type of paper. We also did a research paper this year.

Just a few suggestions. I do think SL needs a little more help in the LA area in the middle school years to get them ready for HS writing/thnking.

It has worked for us!:001_smile:

How much English/Grammar does a Highschooler need? She is coming out of Public School. Can you suggest something?

We are planning on sticking with SL La, but I add in other books.

I know AG is very popular. Maybe AG, IEW and a vocab book...such as wordly wise. Lightning Literature is wonderful. It is too much for my son along with SL...that is the only reason I dont use it.

I use SL la, wordly wise, and IEW. We also use harveys grammar for review as needed.

Hi Carolyn, welcome to homeschooling high school! :)

For my 9th grader I have planned

Math: TT

Science: Apologia Physical Science

History: Sonlight Core 6

Looks like you'll still need:

- English (see ideas below)

- PE / sports

Since you're coming from public school, you are wise to keep your first year, or at least your first semester, gentle. That gives both you and your student time to make adjustments. As you get more comfortable doing school at home, you could consider possibly adding:

- a foreign language

- an elective, based on personal interest (art, music, drama, photography, filmmaking, horsemanship/animal care, home ec. skills, dog training, horticulture/landscaping, woodworking, jewelry making, pottery, metalworking, etc. etc.)

Not a requirement, but I also highly recommend including some:

- critical thinking and logic

as that really helps a student analyze literature and history, and especially helps a student with problem solving in math and science. We've done critical thinking as a fun, 5-minute brain warm-up several mornings a week using things like:

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (gr. 7-12) -- by Seymour

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Englishy (gr. 5-12) -- by Eaton; Walch Pub.

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Algebra (gr. 9-12) -- by Martin; Walch Pub.

- Mindbenders

- Perplexors (like Mindbenders)

- Think-a-Grams -- pub. by Critical Thinking Press

- Word Winks; More Word Winks (like Think-A-Grams) -- pub. by Mindware

- Plexors, More Plexers (like Think-A-Grams) -- by Seymour

For gentle introductions into Logic we've really liked:

- Orbiting with Logic (Dandylion Logic series)

- Fallacy Detective

- Thinking Toolbox

How much English/Grammar does a Highschooler need? She is coming out of Public School.

High school English usually includes:

- Literature

- Grammar

- Writing (Composition)

In addition, there is usually some Vocabulary in there, either through the literature, or some people use vocabulary materials specifically to prep for SAT testing later on. I have a student who struggles with spelling, so spelling is still part of his high school English; I somewhat combine his spelling with vocabulary. Here is an a bit of an "overview" of what those 3 components tend to look like over the 4 years of high school:

Literature:

At the high school level, you read classic works and begin analyzing them. In 9th-10th grades, you introduce a lot of literary terms or elements (metaphor, symbolism, setting, alliteration, irony, etc.), and look for how they are used in the literature you're reading. You also begin to discuss themes in the literature.

By 11th and 12th grades, you read, discuss, analyze and *write* about the works: compare/contrast essay; character analysis essay; essay on how literary elements are working to support a particular theme; etc. You look for themes and how they are connected with and help explain the culture/times in which the work was written, but also how the themes are relevant (or not) in today's culture/times, and also look at applying these themes and meanings to your own life. The student is also becoming able to express these ideas to others.

Grammar

In 9th-10th grades, you finish solidifying grammar instruction (parts of speech, noun functions, clauses and phrases as modifiers, diagramming or parsing, etc.) and grammar mechanics (capitalization, punctuation, word usage, editing, etc.).

In 11th-12th grades, there tends not to be formal grammar, but rather the grammar principles are put into use daily in the student's writing. In 11th-12th grade, you may want to do a "lite" grammar review in preparation for standardized testing (ACT, PSAT and SAT tests).

Writing (Composition)

Similar to the grammar, in 9th-10th grades, you solidify writing instruction (paragraph structure (topic sentence, supporting facts/examples/details, concluding sentence); making a key-word outline for a paragraph or for a five paragraph essay; complete sentences, varied sentence structure, use of vivid verbs and modifiers, etc.; how to research and how to cite a source; what goes into an essay; etc. And, of course, you're putting these things into practice.

In 11th-12th grades, the writing becomes longer and tends to be research papers and analysis essays. A helpful idea at this point is to practice "timed essays" from past SAT essay prompt questions to prepare for "the real thing."

Vocabulary

There are several ways to go about vocabulary; many people combine and use several methods:

- a roots based program (learn Greek/Latin roots and, hence, vocabulary words based on those roots)

- in literature (learn vocabulary through exposure and in context as you're reading)

- vocabulary program (learn new words through exposure and formal practice)

I can't decide if I should use SL LA or not...Can you suggest something?

Getting the SL LA instructor guide or not is up to you -- it will be of use if you want the notes about the various books you'll be reading. However, I don't think that the SL6 LA will be

a.) at grade level for a 9th grade student

b.) providing the helpful, specific instruction in grammar and writing that you will need for getting started homeschooling English

Just my opinion, but one more thought: while SL6 is a good idea as a gentle introduction for starting homeschool with a 9th grade student, almost all of the books are at a grade 6 reading level, and are historical fiction rather than classic literature. That will be great for your history and solo reading, but I'd suggest adding just a few classic literature works to bring the literature portion of your English coursework up to a high school level -- perhaps a gentle literature program, or pick 4 works (2 per semester) and a good literature guide for each book to walk you through it. We found that reading these classic works aloud together and discussing / using a lit. guide as we read has been very fruitful. Perhaps select a few works to go with your study of the ancients, along with a few works that are "traditionally" done along about 9th grade?? Here are a few ideas:

- The Odyssey (translation by Fagles, or Fitzgerald, or other) -- along with the Garlic Press publishers lit. guide

- The Oedipus cycle -- 3 ancient Greek plays of "Oedipus the King", "Oedipus at Colonus" and "Antigone", along with the free online Sparknotes lit. guide for each

- To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) -- along with the Garlic Press publishers lit. guide

- Macbeth (William Shakespeare) -- along with the Parallel Text student workbook and teacher guide

Below are some ideas for literature, grammar, and writing, if helpful. If not please discard! :) BEST of luck as you embark into your homeschooling journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Writing

- Jump In

- Write Shop

- Jensen's Format Writing

Grammar

- Analytical Grammar (complete grammar)

- Rod and Staff (gr. 8) (complete grammar)

- Mother Tongue (by Nancy Wilson) (grammar review)

- Chortling Bard (grammar review and editing practice)

- Jensen's Punctation (grammar mechanics practice)

- Editor in Chief (grammar mechanics/editing practice)

Writing/Grammar in one text

- Voyages in English (goes up thru grade 8, but can easily be used in gr. 9)

- Warriner's Grammar and Composition

Literature

- Figuratively Speaking (resource of literary terms)

- Lightning Literature 7 or 8 (full year programs as gentle introductions into literary analysis)

- Windows on the World (teaches annotation, literary analysis, and how to write a literary analysis essay)

Edited by Lori D.
corrections

no, no you are doing fine!

and you could pick "julius caesar" or "antony and cleopatra" for your shakespeare and still be in the ancients time frame! though sonlight 6 does cover up through medieval/ren/ref so any shakespeare play would be great.

if you have never done shakespeare - read the story out of garfield's "Shakespeare stories", then watch a film version, then read it! And, sad to say, 4 books is about par for most public schools. You are so ahead of the game.

Take heart!

:blushing: Did it again -- so sorry to overwhelm! Just meant to be helpful and got carried away. :)

Anyways... ignore most of my post, and perhaps just come away with the general overview of what goes into a high school English class -- how's that?! Warmest regards, Lori D.