Menu

If you wanted to do Teaching the Classics as a seminar for your dc....

I have had Teaching the Classics on my shelf for awhile now. Since I am going to "do my own thing" with literature next year, I was wondering if I could start off with this at the beginning of next school year, watching it together with ds. Is this workable? How many weeks should I allow to do so?

Are the DVDs entertaining or dull? I can always watch them myself over the summer if you don't think watching with ds is a good idea.

Thanks.

Many people do watch the dvds with their kids. The Teaching the Classics dvds are directed to the teacher, but can easily be done with your kids also. If you are going to add other kids, it is more fun to watch them yourself and then live teach the same examples he uses.

I wouldn't watch the first half of the first dvd with kids (it's just the overview/history...) and I wouldn't watch with elementary kids (the vocabulary needs more explaning). It is easy to start watching and then start appllying what you learn to other things. If you have more questions there are lots of experienced people on the IEWfamilies yahoogroup that can give you suggestions.

There are six practical sessions on the dvds that can be done over six weeks. You can download the timestamps for the dvds from the IEWfamilies yahoogroup if you want.

Edited by Julie of KY

Many people do watch the dvds with their kids. The Teaching the Classics dvds are directed to the teacher, but can easily be done with your kids also. If you are going to add other kids, it is more fun to watch them yourself and then live teach the same examples he uses.

I wouldn't watch the first half of the first dvd with kids (it's just the overview/history...) and I wouldn't watch with elementary kids (the vocabulary needs more explaning). It is easy to start watching and then start appllying what you learn to other things. If you have more questions there are lots of experienced people on the IEWfamilies yahoogroup that can give you suggestions.

There are six practical sessions on the dvds that can be done over six weeks. You can download the timestamps for the dvds from the IEWfamilies yahoogroup if you want.

Is that what you mean by time stamps? So, it sounds like six weeks would be better? I guess I don't get how it is set up. I couldn't tell this from the time schedule I had. I was just hoping that someone here might have done this and could tell me what to do! LOL!

I can't even remember if I previously joined the yahoo group or not!

I don't remember exactly how it is broken up on the dvds, but basically I'd watch the very beginning myself and decide if you want your kids to watch it and then:

week 1 -Paul Revere's Ride - Literary Style

week 2 - Tale of Peter Rabbit - plot and conflict

week 3 - Rikki-Tikki-Tave - setting

week 4 - Adventures of Tom Sawyer - character

week 5 - Martin the Cobbler - themes

week 6 - Casey at the Bat - practicum

I don't remember how it is broken up on the dvds, but it is pretty obvious. This will take about an hour a week.

You don't need to do any prep work before watching the dvds unless you want everyone to be able to write on the handouts - you might make copies. Take what you learn and start applying it to anything you read. The list of Socratic questions at the back of the book are great.

Yes, we did it. It was one of the most beneficial things I have done. The teacher is very interesting. The DVD is of him actually doing a lecture to a mix group of kids/adults. We just watched it as if we were attending the lecture. When the instructor stopped and had you do an activity, we did the activity. The DVD has lessons, with an activity to do with each one. We did that in about a week. After that they have suggestions for readings and then followup discussion. Their suggestions take 10 weeks. We did it for 4 weeks using their short stories and then we did our Omnibus readings and just applied the questions to those readings. We still use the story chart and Socratic questions. The questions are very similar to the one in the Well Educated Mind, so we often overlap the two.

Yes, we did it. It was one of the most beneficial things I have done. The teacher is very interesting. The DVD is of him actually doing a lecture to a mix group of kids/adults. We just watched it as if we were attending the lecture. When the instructor stopped and had you do an activity, we did the activity. The DVD has lessons, with an activity to do with each one. We did that in about a week. After that they have suggestions for readings and then followup discussion. Their suggestions take 10 weeks. We did it for 4 weeks using their short stories and then we did our Omnibus readings and just applied the questions to those readings. We still use the story chart and Socratic questions. The questions are very similar to the one in the Well Educated Mind, so we often overlap the two.

all the DVDs in one week

spent 4 weeks on their suggestions

and then did your own thing via Omnibus

Is this correct? I need to pull the book back out and see what the suggestions are. I am glad I am finally going to get this off the shelf! Gee, I wonder what other treasures I have in my house!:D

all the DVDs in one week

spent 4 weeks on their suggestions

and then did your own thing via Omnibus

Is this correct? I need to pull the book back out and see what the suggestions are. I am glad I am finally going to get this off the shelf! Gee, I wonder what other treasures I have in my house!:D

More or less. I can't remember the exact timeline on the suggested supplements. I do think it was time well spent.