Menu

What if your kid's school doesn't offer foreign language?

Ds has not had the opportunity to take 3 years of foreign language, so he is worried that he will not get into the colleges he wants. I say we could plead his case, and maybe they'd let him take the requirement there. What do you think? Of course, we'd have to reveal that he has been in treatment, but that would probably come out, anyway--not that he's ashamed, but we don't know how being an addict is viewed by TPTB these days...

Check the requirements at the college. I seem to remember seeing on the Univ. of FL site that if the dc didn't have the 2 yrs (min) of foreign language for admission, they had to complete 2 semester w/in the 1st 2 yrs. I'd think they have some track available since not all schools are created equal.

I would start checking with the colleges that he's interested in and find out their specific requirements. Almost all colleges have introductory courses in foreign languages. Also check with your local community college. I don't know how old your son is, but many community colleges have decent entry-level foreign language classes---usually at least some of the more common foreign languages such as Spanish and French.

If they had a high school foreign language requirement, the standard seemed to be 2 years. I know some schools are doing the three year thing, but I don't think that is too wide spread.

You could get Rosetta Stone and complete level one without too much trouble in a year...you could probably push through two levels in a year. I know it isn't the most highly thought of course, but they used to say completing their level I equaled two years of high school language. I'd just do that and call it good.

Is your son in the 11th grade? If so, then probably the community college for your county has a "dual credit" option for high schoolers. Your son could take two years of a foreign language at the CC, and receive high school credit. This might be your most inexpensive remedy.

My high school son in a tiny "outside school" can obtain only two years of Spanish, and the class is very far from being equivalent to two years at a public or "regular" school. His only other choice is ASL. I share this concern with you.

Another possibility might be to have him begin his studies of a foreign language this summer. (Assuming he has the time to dedicate to it.) Perhaps he could do a program at home or at the local community college or even through a non-credit community education class.

Regards,

Kareni

Is your son in the 11th grade? If so, then probably the community college for your county has a "dual credit" option for high schoolers. Your son could take two years of a foreign language at the CC, and receive high school credit. This might be your most inexpensive remedy.

A good thing about taking college level is that while there is the application requirement there is also the graduation requirement.

My niece took 4 yrs of hs Spanish & still has to have 2 semesters of college language or social studies! If she'd taken 2yr hs & 2 semesters at the cc (which would count as 2 hs yrs), she'd be ahead 'cause she'd have the 2 college semesters covered. Plus if your college offers it, you can take a summer intensive--1yr foreign language in the summer semester. I started dreaming in German the summer I took it. BTW--I didn't have any hs German.

Edited by K-FL

Hmmm. I'll have to really think this thru. I'd love him to take Latin or Spanish at the CC, knowing he could cover 2 years. He'll be in ps next year, and could take one year, and then we could have a guidance counselor write a note or something! With recovery meetings, it's so hard to have a life! Actually, they make life possible--what I mean is, they take about 2 hours nearly every night. He will have ps from 7-2:30, then homework, eat, and go to meetings. That doesn't leave much time for CC classes, even one. And he has to be very careful not to get too overloaded or tired.