Menu

EPGY and Johns Hopkins CTY- Math

Mandy in TN

As I remember the programs are the same up until algebra. The only difference is the cost and who you are paying. For algebra and beyond I think CTY uses a textbook and EPGY continues to use the computer based model. If you think you are starting at algebra or higher, I would suggest the Art of Problem Solving people instead.

The benefit would be to validate the acceleration. There would be outside test scores and someone else's opinion of the child's level.

We did not use EGPY or CTY. The cost was just too high, even with financial aid. I have heard that EGPY does better financial aid than CTY, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

We used aleks instead. It does not have the same degree of acceptance in the outside world, but I didn't mind. I am not trying to get into any programs I just wanted to do math.

Actually EPGY uses Lials , for their Honors Beginning Algebra, it is " Beginning Algebra" by Lial. The Honors Intermediate Algebra text they use is "Intermediate Algebra" by Lial. The Pre-Calc is also a Lial text.

The elementary program uses a "software strand" type system. EPGY uses a software program in elementary. The Honors pre-algebra starts in 7th grade, they want the gifted 8th graders taking Alg.

For JH they use the software from EPGY in elementary and then in the higher levels they actually add in Think-well (Sonlight sells it) The child must score high enough to be accepted into the program. JH uses this http://www.addall.com/New/submitNew.cgi?type=ISBN&query=0395977274 for Geometry, and for Calculus they use one by Larson.

If your child has been scoring in the 97% then you most likely will not have too much of a problem applying. Depending on what test they have taken they must have a Qualifying Mathematics Score and it's pretty grade specific.

We went through the process getting my daughter qualified so I have been on the phone with them quite a bit lately:)

the enrollment date was easier for us and I felt that with JH we would have had to jump through more hoops as far as "more" testing than I really wanted to put my dd through at 9 yrs.

They both use the exact same software EPGY developed until 6th sometimes 7th, so I also liked the fact that she would be registered with the company that first developed the program.

As far as the upper levels , for the most part, since EPGY uses Lial (which my husband thinks is great) I may just add in the Think-Well software JH uses as the supplement to Lial and go from there.

We tried so many curriculum's with her, she did best with the Singapore PM series. As far as the others, she quit on MUS, dug her heels in with Teaching Textbooks, never felt challenged with Bob Jones. I was planning on starting VideoText with her and letting her go at her own pace but I decided on a whim to look at EPGY and JH and I liked what I saw.

Mind you this is just for this particular child, I use some of these same programs I mentioned above currently with my other kids and they are doing well. She really likes to get down to business, doesn't like fluff and ALWAYS does several lessons ahead to prove how easy she finds it. (I think that's why, she swears it's because she forgets:confused:, I don't buy it)

just accelerating a regular math program or is it just the ease of using an online course and having someone else to back up the fact that your child is advanced? Just wondering because my dd qualified for CTY but the cost seems a bit prohibitive for me to use with a 5yo who is speeding through math curriculum.

just accelerating a regular math program or is it just the ease of using an online course and having someone else to back up the fact that your child is advanced? Just wondering because my dd qualified for CTY but the cost seems a bit prohibitive for me to use with a 5yo who is speeding through math curriculum.

Seeing that my dd is 9, I am really happy I did not use this program when she was younger. I think it would have been cost prohibitive. I would not have wanted her to spend that much time on the computer, nor do I think would want to trade off "mommy time" for the computer (not to toot my own horn..lol). She has completed the Singapore PM series, I let her go at her own pace with teaching from me. I sat down with every lesson and basically followed that HIG to the T. I believe that if a child it truly gifted, they will stay gifted , you can try to hold them back, but you won't be able to :). Math and reading have always been the 2 things I refuse to let go. I believe when it comes to homeschooling " you get what you inspect".

Now at age 9 it's bittersweet. She is my oldest, and we have chosen to go with EPGY, for the most part. I am still looking over different curriculum's to see if I can have her for another year. Our math lessons have become "our time" I will really miss them. I am toying with the idea of doing Life of Fred Percents, Decimals & Fractions alongside Keys to Algebra and ALEKS as a supplement. I am awaiting Basic College Math by Lial as another possible curricula option.

So back to your original question, it's not so much to have "someone else to back up the fact that your child is advanced". She has always worked several grade levels ahead in every subject, but at this rate she is moving faster in math than what I am able teach. I'm a nurse so if we were moving on to conversions I would have no problem, she will do General Science by Apologia and I am really excited for that. I pretty much bottom out at Algebra 2, and even that's a stretch;).

If I could teach it I still would...no doubt'