Menu

newbie question on life of fred

Hello, I just joined last month and I have a question for all you veteran high school hsers, specifically those who use or have used Life of Fred math:

HOw well did Fred prepare your child for college entrance tests? Was this a good prepration for AP math tests and/or CLEP?

I have a 12yo boy, 10yo boy and a 7yo girl. We are finishing our 4th year of hsing in suburban Chicago. My boys are both finishing up Saxon 7/6, and have done well with it, although the 12yo is convinced that because math does not come easily to him he must be bad at it. They are both exceptionally verbal, and Fred looks like it will be a wonderful change.

I am emailing the author with this same question, but I also am looking for reliable, third-party, reviews of this program.

Thank you so much! :001_smile:

Maria

Guest Katia

I think it's too new to tell. We are using it along with Teaching Textbooks, but I don't think it's been around long enough for anyone to have test results or college entrance having used it.......don't really know!

The college board lists LoF as a resource for the Calculus CLEP exam here.

I like to quote Kathy in MD in this thread:

I think some will be reluctant to use it as a stand alone program until it has more of a track record on these boards, because something so fun shouldn't be so good. OTOH, some may be forseeing trying to explain to the admission officer at MIT that a book titled Life of Fred IS a serious calculus text.

I encourage you to try it. We are just finishing LoF Algebra. It's a challenging text. It didn't work that well for my ds, but I would not consider him exceptionally verbal. Monosyllabic is more like it. :tongue_smilie:

I was wondering how long each book takes? Would you complete fractions and decimals in one year? My boys will be 6th and 7th grade next fall.

Yes, neither Fractions nor Decimals and Percents is meant to cover an entire year.

Decimals & Percents and Fractions are two separate books, and both are to be done in one year. Then you'd head to the Beginning Algebra.

My ds and dd love LoF! They did better this year, than for 3 or 4 years, on their ITBS Math scores after using LoF this year. We'll see how it goes next year. DD will be doing LoF Beginning Algebra, and ds will be doing LoF Geometry.