Menu

Writing and Grammar for high school

I think I'll do Daily Grams to review basic grammar for my teens.

I might want to do a few months of something meatier than Daily Grams for a few months.

What are the best programs? R&S? AG looks good, but expensive. Is AG worth the price tag?

Writing:

I've used IEW and while I love the method of key word outlines, dress ups, and basic structure of the program, I find it hard to actually implement without real lesson plans or assignments. It just isn't getting done. I give a writing assignment and edit and give a grade.... but I'm not TEACHING writing.

Choices for writing:

1. Get some lesson plans for IEW??

2. AG's Teaching the Essay??

3. Jensen's Format Writing??

Any other choices for teaching writing to high schoolers??

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

A really nice grammar and composition program is Warriner's Grammar and Composition (3rd course and up). I wish I knew about this book earlier. It is an old-fashioned grammar book written around 1960's. My version is copyrighted in 1980. I like the format and it is easy to implement. It covers all aspects of grammar (including diagramming). I bought mine on Amazon (I found a used copy for $10.00). You might want to supplement the composition portion of the book with Lively Art of Writing (since you've done IEW). I learned about these books from this board.

In preparation for the timed essay writing on the SAT/ACT tests, we're using an idea from Momof7 and once a week we all write a timed essay from a real, past SAT prompt question, and then discuss what we did well and where we could improve. See past SAT essay questions at: http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/sat-test-prep.html (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for the list of dates for all the past essay questions)

We've seen a big improvement in essays since doing this! Also, the information on the "Five Paragraph Essay" at the following 2 websites has been very simple, specific and helpful for teaching essay writing. Google search "Five Paragraph Essay" for LOTS of helpful information! BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Five Paragraph Essay Wizard ("how to"): http://www.geocities.com/soho/Atrium/1437/

English Works (sample essay and structure): http://depts.gallaudet.edu/EnglishWorks/writing/fiveparagraph.html

I think I'll do Daily Grams to review basic grammar for my teens.

I might want to do a few months of something meatier than Daily Grams for a few months.

What are the best programs? R&S? AG looks good, but expensive. Is AG worth the price tag?

IMO, it is worth every. single. penny.

DS can diagram anything on the fly. His knowledge of grammar is better than anyone I know. He completed the SR program (yep, ALL of it) in 8th grade. Now he is working through her "high school supplement" books. She now has 4: one for each year of HS.

Writing:

I've used IEW and while I love the method of key word outlines, dress ups, and basic structure of the program, I find it hard to actually implement without real lesson plans or assignments. It just isn't getting done. I give a writing assignment and edit and give a grade.... but I'm not TEACHING writing.

Choices for writing:

1. Get some lesson plans for IEW??

2. AG's Teaching the Essay??

3. Jensen's Format Writing??

Any other choices for teaching writing to high schoolers??

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

DS and I love IEW as well. I'm not worried about the whole "teaching writing" thing - I think Andrew does a fine enough job with that. My worry is analysis. I simply don't WANT to buy TTC, as we have limited time to read the books he needs to read, I don't want to go through a program full of other books, KWIM? (DS is NOT an enthusiastic reader...)

My current plan (subject to change, oh, this afternoon...) is to select some books for 10th - 12th, and then run through different parts of TWSS with each of them (book reports, essays, etc.) Each year we can do a "research paper" by having him read a main book, read a bio on the author, check whether or not it was indicative of things happening when the book was written (eg: influences on the writer), and by reading what other people have said about it (theses, reviews, etc.). This is the method I was taught, so I believe it will work.

I am currently reading The Well Educated Mind, and Susan has great ideas for how to select a book from each "type" and "period" of literature. It seems that, if I ask some Socratic questions, the analysis will take care of itself.

I've also looked at IEWs essay program, thinking he should have it before the SAT, but then I thought, why? I just need to prompt and time him (like the above poster mentioned).

Is that at all helpful?

asta

I've used R&S 8 for solid grammar review for my high schoolers. I found it to be very easy to use and also quite thorough. It's not an "exciting" program, but certainly covered what I felt they needed to have. I continue to supplement with Editor in Chief which provides good practice in identifying errors in writing -- the practical application side.

I am planning on using the new Easy Grammar for high school with my dd. She reads and writes constantly so I just want to keep her skills sharp. We have done IEW and will be switcing to Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman. My dd is in a writing club which helps. We also have 2 friends who are authors so they do some mentoring with the girls. We are keeping it simple but have high expectations.

Ann

:lurk5:PUtting this in because my youngest likes it!