Menu

Rosetta Stone-High School Credit

I was interested in having my dd start RS 1 in 8th grade. But, I also want her to be able to get high school credit for a foreign language. So is it just best to wait until 9th grade to start so that I can apply it to her lang. high school credit?

I don't think Rosettastone alone is a full high school credit, but can be an important part of a high school credit. It might work well, then, for her to do Rosettastone in 8th grade, and something involving systematic grammar study, reading, and writing in 9th grade.

• 1 year later...
Guest jhorton

Check with your school and see if they will give her credit for the level. There may be state standards not covered by Rosetta Stone, and if so, extra work would have to be done.

As for whether RS can be given high school credit, there was a really long thread about this recently. Many of us are indeed using it for high school. Many of us are convinced it is equivalent to the actual results in other programs. Many of us automatically add cultural exposure and such, but only add grammar as we see a need. (I follow the MFW lesson plans, created by a company who has multilingual children, who is involved in translation, and who has a passion for encouraging languages in education.)

You'll have to decide on that one.

As for 8th grade, opinions vary on that, too. I prefer to count it as 8th grade, and give credit for more advanced language in 9-12th, but I do know many who give high school credit for certain courses done in 8th.

Again, your school, your decision.

Julie

I live in a state where I pretty much have to use an umbrella school. They permit foreign language credit in 7th and 8th grade provided that the student is doing high school level.

My oldest used the My Father's World lesson plans for Rosetta Stone. She used the high school credit path in those lessons. So, she got high school credit for it.

If she had followed the MFW plans for jr. high, she wouldn't have counted it on high school level.

I like MFW's plans. Julie in MN mentioned about the company's experience with multilingual children and all of that. They consulted with a high school Spanish teacher to develop those lesson plans and make them high school credit.

-crystal

I live in a state where I pretty much have to use an umbrella school. They permit foreign language credit in 7th and 8th grade provided that the student is doing high school level.

My oldest used the My Father's World lesson plans for Rosetta Stone. She used the high school credit path in those lessons. So, she got high school credit for it.

If she had followed the MFW plans for jr. high, she wouldn't have counted it on high school level.

I like MFW's plans. Julie in MN mentioned about the company's experience with multilingual children and all of that. They consulted with a high school Spanish teacher to develop those lesson plans and make them high school credit.

-crystal

Does MFW add in anything extra to the RS lessons, or is it just the pace and depth that makes the difference between middle school and high school work?

Does MFW add in anything extra to the RS lessons,

for high school credit:

they add in real life activities (give a great appendix on that and schedule the 14 major types of activities over the year). covers a lot of ideas. I really like the appendix in the plans.

they have suggestions how to effectively use the audio companion cd for more than just listening and repeating.

research paper (they suggest it be in Bible translation in minority languages in places where the studied language is used, but if you are a different faith from MFW, you can change the topic of the research paper)

and the way the plans are set up, the plans cover almost any language RS would do. And right now, it's one set of plans for any RS level. So my daughter is using the same plans this year to track it all.

and one of the other differences is which of the RS curriculum paths to use. at high school credit, you'd definitely use the "full path' and with middle school, there's something in the chart to not do it all for non high school credit and how to repeat it later.

-crystal

for high school credit:

they add in real life activities (give a great appendix on that and schedule the 14 major types of activities over the year). covers a lot of ideas. I really like the appendix in the plans.

they have suggestions how to effectively use the audio companion cd for more than just listening and repeating.

research paper (they suggest it be in Bible translation in minority languages in places where the studied language is used, but if you are a different faith from MFW, you can change the topic of the research paper)

and the way the plans are set up, the plans cover almost any language RS would do. And right now, it's one set of plans for any RS level. So my daughter is using the same plans this year to track it all.

and one of the other differences is which of the RS curriculum paths to use. at high school credit, you'd definitely use the "full path' and with middle school, there's something in the chart to not do it all for non high school credit and how to repeat it later.

-crystal

We have version 2 of RS. Does anyone know if the MFW lesson plans would match up with different versions? It's frustrating that RS doesn't have a way to upgrade without spending a ton of money!

We have version 2 of RS. Does anyone know if the MFW lesson plans would match up with different versions? It's frustrating that RS doesn't have a way to upgrade without spending a ton of money!

The version 2 and version 3 programs are very different.

I'm not sure it would work easy at all. nah... hmmm..

I remember in the older mfw manuals there was a checklist for version 2, but not really for "credit" purposes.

I agree on the frustration with RS upgrade/version changes.

Hewitt Homeschooling also has some RS plans. I don't know anything about them though.

sorry

-crystal