Menu

On another thread, Moira mentioned that her highschool daughters were able to move into Henle 2 after completing unit 7 of Henle 1. Sure enough, I read the intro to Henle 2 and it supports that. (Apparently only the "high ability" Latin students finished all of Henle 1 their freshman year. "Regular" classes were satisfied to complete unit 7.)

When I compare the lessons in Henle 2 with the lessons we'd miss out of Henle 1, units 8-14, I can see where most of the essential grammar is covered in Henle 2 (although perhaps not as "in depth"?)

Is there an advantage to taking a second year to complete Henle 1, so as to get a "very thorough" mastery of Latin grammar? Or do others recommend moving on to Henle 2, because it's more rewarding to read Caesar (and the others) and learn grammar to go along with that? (My ds will be in 10th grade.)

If we were to start Henle 2 after Henle 1/unit 7, I would do lessons 1-16, then begin the Caesar readings keyed to lessons 17-28 ("The Helvetian drive to the west" and "Revolt along the seacoast" and "The first invasion of Britain"). Is that the best approach?

Finally, what do I do with the other readings at the beginning of Henle 2 that aren't keyed to the lessons (e.g. "The German Peril" and "Danger in the Alps")? Just read them? Are the translations in the answer key?

Does anyone have a schedule for Henle 2? I'd love to see it.

TIA,

Cindy

The grammar in units 8-14 is covered in Henle Second Year but at a faster pace. With my dd's I have aimed to complete the lessons and the assigned Caesar reading -- this is fast but doable imho. My elder dd was well prepared for Latin III -- she was light on vocabulary compared to students coming out of Wheelock's but her grammar was more solid. My younger dd is currently working on Lesson 22 and will likely have to work into the summer to finish the complete text.

I have a schedule somewhere that completes Second Year in 32 weeks, but it omits the English to Latin exercises which I find among the most valuable.

By the way, I heartily recommend the teacher's manual for Henle Latin Series that was written by Sister Mary Jeanne. I got it from Our Lady of Victory School in Idaho. It points out the important points of each Lesson.

HTH

Moira

Hi Cindy,

My dd did complete all of Henle I before moving on to Henle II.

My reasoning was that she was a young student (started Henle I in the fifth grade), and that a slow and steady approach would only benefit her in the long run.

She took approximately three years to work through the first volume. We started out using the Memoria Press syllabus. When that proved to move too slowly for her, we switched over to Laura Berquist's Mother of Divine Grace syllabus. That one included a couple different schedules; we chose the schedule with the English-to-Latin exercises instead of the one that omitted them. I agree with Moira that those exercises are invaluable - and lol about Caesar endlessly killing those Gauls!

In ninth grade my dd moved on to Henle II and spent the year working through it, again using Laura Berquist's syllabus. The syllabus for this level included 32 weekly lessons and quizzes/tests. You're correct that the Caesar readings start with the Helvetian Drive to the West in Lesson 17. We never did anything with those other readings in Henle II that aren't keyed to any lessons.

The net result has been that dd acquired an extremely good command of Latin grammar. She wishes that her vocabulary were a bit better, though (again agreeing with Moira and her dd). She went on to complete the two AP latins successfully in grades 10 and 11. Henle was great preparation!

hth,

~Kathy

Hi Cindy,

My dd did complete all of Henle I before moving on to Henle II.

My reasoning was that she was a young student (started Henle I in the fifth grade), and that a slow and steady approach would only benefit her in the long run.

She took approximately three years to work through the first volume. We started out using the Memoria Press syllabus. When that proved to move too slowly for her, we switched over to Laura Berquist's Mother of Divine Grace syllabus. That one included a couple different schedules; we chose the schedule with the English-to-Latin exercises instead of the one that omitted them. I agree with Moira that those exercises are invaluable - and lol about Caesar endlessly killing those Gauls!

In ninth grade my dd moved on to Henle II and spent the year working through it, again using Laura Berquist's syllabus. The syllabus for this level included 32 weekly lessons and quizzes/tests. You're correct that the Caesar readings start with the Helvetian Drive to the West in Lesson 17. We never did anything with those other readings in Henle II that aren't keyed to any lessons.

The net result has been that dd acquired an extremely good command of Latin grammar. She wishes that her vocabulary were a bit better, though (again agreeing with Moira and her dd). She went on to complete the two AP latins successfully in grades 10 and 11. Henle was great preparation!

hth,

~Kathy

My to be 8th grade son is on a similar progression and will finish Henle I this coming year in 8th. I really glad to hear that Henle I & II prepared your dd well for AP Latin.

Thanks,

Brenda

One thing I forgot above -

In between finishing Henle II and starting AP Vergil, dd took a couple of months and worked through a Legamus reader from Bolchazy-Carducci. She found this to be a nice transition text that aided her both in reading the Aeneid and in understanding its literary elements.

~Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks. I bookmarked that so we can get it in a couple years.

Brenda