Menu

fine arts summer program on transcript?

Oh, voices of experience, I need you. :001_smile:

How would you list a 3 week long, summer, INTENSIVE fine arts program (specifially piano performance) on a transcript? Would you list it as an extracurricular or would you list it at all? If you do list it, do you include hrs. or # of days involved?

I would list it as extra-curricular. You can also give credit for it, in which case I'd count it as a 1/2 class.

My dd did a 2-week long musical theatre performance camp last August. Our private school gave us the option of counting it as a 1/2 credit class, which we did (including it in the school year, as it was the 2 weeks directly preceding our school year).

She'll do it again this summer, but we'll list it as an extra-curricular instead. She doesn't need the credit on her transcript.

All the schools ds applied to (he is a high school senior this year) wanted to see a resume. I thought it a bit ridiculous for a high schooler to have one, but that is the way many play the game now. So I used all of his special camps activities on that. I included brief descriptions of the programs, especially mentioning if it was a competitive camp placement.

Packaging definitely counts.

So if you child is planning to major in music is it better listed as a credit or extra-curr.?

If your child is not planning to major in music how to would you then list it?

Sharon- how extensive is the resume-do they want a repertoire list? Was is mostly the arts focused schools that were intested in resumes?

I'm just trying to get my mind around what I need to be keeping track of.

Thanks for the help everyone.

So if you child is planning to major in music is it better listed as a credit or extra-curr.?

If your child is not planning to major in music how to would you then list it?

Sharon- how extensive is the resume-do they want a repertoire list? Was is mostly the arts focused schools that were intested in resumes?

I'm just trying to get my mind around what I need to be keeping track of.

Thanks for the help everyone.

My son is going into engineering, but has been heavily involved in music, theater and dance for some years. So, his resume highlighted his engineering related activities first and then the fine arts side later. I'd be happy to send you a copy if you want to pm me with your email.

I believe many of the competitive schools are asking for resumes now. We structured his into sections that were then chronologically arranged. His ended up being 3 pages, which is pretty ridiculous, but it was the only way we could explain some of the more unusual activities he had been involved in.

I don't think the resume for a music student usually includes the repertoire list. More the experiences. I'm sure that your student will have interviews and auditions as well, where a printed rep list would be a good thing to the committee, along with the resume. But, when that time comes, you will want to ask each individual college about what they want to see.

I'll be honest with you, I really think having a good, self-explanatory resume helped my son get the scholarships that he was offered.

anyway, just send me a pm if you want a copy of it. You could use a similar form, just reverse the order. And, in answer to the question about what to keep track of....everything....start a word doc now that has every award, honor and volunteer activity in it.

HTH

Edited by Sharon in MD
added information

And, in answer to the question about what to keep track of....everything....start a word doc now that has every award, honor and volunteer activity in it.

I second this! It's awfully hard in the fall of senior year to remember every little thing your child did two or three years earlier.

Also, keep track of time spent with jobs and volunteer experiences, and keep a reading list.

Take the time now to see what the Common Application asks for from applicants. If you know your child will be applying to the state university or other colleges that don't use the Common Application, take a look at their applications also. These will give you a good idea of what information will be valuable in the future.

Regards,

Kareni

We submitted something related to a resume but different -- an activities sheet.

The details of how we did our activity sheet are found in the book "Acing the College Application" by Michele Hernandez.

Basically, we grouped all of the various activities into groups and then listed the activity, time commitment, grade level(s) during participation, and then a description of the activity.

Since my kids are involved in some unusual activitiies, I think this sheet (well, 4 sheetS) helped give my kids the space to describe and emphasize their outside activities. Certainly I was convinced of my kids' uniqueness as I read the sheets!

Guest Katia

My dd is a music major and all the colleges she applied to asked for a repertoire list from the last 4 years (high school). Just sayin'.......