Menu

Chalkdust DVDs with Lial Algebra Text?

So...I believe I've read that Lial's text is more user friendly and preferred by some over the Larson Algebra text.

I think I've also read that both texts introduce topics in a similar order.

If the Lial's Algebra text seems to get the nod over Larson's, but the video teaching by Dana Mosely is superior to what is offered as video teaching with the Lial's text, would it work to use Dana Mosely's teaching with the textbook of Lial?

I didn't get a good night's sleep last night, so maybe I am totally out in la-la land by even asking this question!

But...the thought came to my brain in the wee hours of the morning.

Opinions?

Chalkboard

It would not be difficult to match up similar lectures... but something to consider...

Each text/series has its own 'spin' on things--what they emphasize and what order they present material.

The Lial texts have more 'written' teaching--the whole lesson is in the text--where in most other texts it is assumed that a teacher will present the whole lesson and the info in the student text serves as a REMINDER of that lesson.

If you chose to use the Lial text you would not need video support for every lesson--and most likely you would be able to match concepts up... but you may have to weed through a few video lessons to find the one you needed...

It would not be possible to just watch a lesson by Dr Mosley every day and work corresponding problems using the Lial text. You would need to follow the format of the text you are using then supplement with videos that are appropriate.

Hopefully this makes some sense!

Thank you, Jann.

Yes, I believe I do understand what you are saying.

I understand you to say that the textbook is what will guide the program, and though the topical video teaching (in this case presented by Mr. Mosely) can perhaps be lined up to corresponding topical sections with some success, it will likely take more work to figure all that out, as some topics in the textbook may be presented in a different order, or some topics may be presented with less or more emphasis than what is on the video teaching.

I guess my next step would be to find the Table of Contents for the two textbooks (Larson and Lial) I am considering and see how they compare, to see if I think it would be a feasible idea.

Okay, I'll chew on that idea for awhile.

Chalkboard

Jackie.

Oh, good. If you have been interested in this idea too, that makes me feel a little better, rather than thinking that my idea was spurred from a lack of sleep!

I have neither the the Lial's algebra book (not even sure what the correct title of the Lial's text for algebra 1 is) or the Larson's Elementary Algebra book in hand.

Perhaps if there is anyone who has these books who could share the Table of Contents, or point me in a direction to find the table of contents, that would be most welcome and appreciated!!

Chalkboard

Well I'd also be interested in hearing a comparison of Chalkdust and Thinkwell :tongue_smilie:

I've read such great reviews of Chalkdust, not so much about Thinkwell. Has anyone seen/used both Thinkwell and Chalkdust and can compare them? Dana Mosely vs Edward Burger head to head? :lurk5:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Well I'd also be interested in hearing a comparison of Chalkdust and Thinkwell :tongue_smilie:

I've read such great reviews of Chalkdust, not so much about Thinkwell. Has anyone seen/used both Thinkwell and Chalkdust and can compare them? Dana Mosely vs Edward Burger head to head? :lurk5:

Jackie

bump - same question.

I had considered thinkwell over chalkdust due to cost, but then Pongo made me giddy by letting us all know how to change that!

but I'd like to know how they compare too.:)

I have Pre-Calc sets with both...

Both are very good. Dr Burger talks QUITE A BIT FASTER but he is also more entertaining. Dr Mosely is not boring--and he speaks at a more 'comfortable' rate for most students.

Dr Mosley is in front of a chalkboard--so the camera 'pans' a lot..

Dr Burger writes on paper and there are computer animations of his steps.

I don't think you could go wrong with either... cost wise Dr Mosely's lectures are cheaper--around $30 through the publisher for each text.

I have not checked on how to get Dr Burger's videos through his text book publisher--Holt. I know that students in PS who use his texts have free access to the online videos...if I get time I'll look to see if they can be purchased separately... though Thinkwell's prices are much better than ChalkDust's!

I like to 'study' both--they help me to improve my presentation to my students... the math-teacher geek that I am....