Menu

Square foot gardeners - how many cubic feet in 40 lbs. of compost?

I can't give you a definite answer. I would go to the store and just eyeball how big the bags are compared to the bags of potting soil that are measured in cu. ft. I'm not sure how big the bags are that you are talking about, but when I've looked at compost, it seemed that the bags were about 0.5 cu. ft. and they were heavy, so 40 lb sounds about right. Maybe someone else will know better. Good Luck.

Bonnie

The compost I buy comes in 40 pound bags....and doesn't equal a cubic foot in my opinion. (Just going by eyeballing it.)

The bags are about 4 inches thick, by eighteen inches by about 24 inches...again eyeballing and guessing.

Here's the deal...you will always need more than you can afford. :D At least that's the way it works at my house.

Have fun with your garden!

about 4 inches thick, by eighteen inches by about 24 inches

sounds very much like the size that I was looking at last week, which also said it was 2 cubic feet. That also correlates with the 40 lb bag of topsoil in my garage that says 2.0 cubic feet.

If you need more for a *lot less*, buy it from a wholesale place by the cubic yard. (25 cu ft) I paid $32/c.y. last week for finely screened organic compost. It was a sight to behold and to work with. I hope my lawn loves it, as my back did not! :lol:

sounds very much like the size that I was looking at last week, which also said it was 2 cubic feet. That also correlates with the 40 lb bag of topsoil in my garage that says 2.0 cubic feet.

:

:001_smile: I've always wondered at those measurements. Once the bag is open, the compost/top soil/mulch seems to shrink. It never goes as far as I need it to go. Never.

But you are right. If I had two boxes exactly a cubic foot in size, those bags would fill them up nicely.