Menu

Twins high school course plans

Okay, The kids and I think we have all the bases covered for their first two years of high school.

For Daughter 9th grade:

Language Arts: W.C grammar & composition 10th grade (1 credit)

World History: Narrowed text choices to Stearns, World Civilization: The Global Experience or Spodek, The World's History.... both are AP text. (1/2 credit)

World Geography: Narrowed text choices to Rubenstein, The Cultural Landscape or Salter, Essentials of Regional Geography... first is a AP, the other honors text. (1/2 credit)

World Literature: Glencoe World Literature (1/2 credit)

Geometry: Larson's Geometry (1 credit)

Biology: Narrowed down to Madar, Inquiry Into Life or Campbell, Biology: Concepts and Connections.... both texts are honors level. She does not want to dissect-LOL. (1 credit)

Health/Fitness: Lifetime Health or Health & Wellness

and Williams, Personal Fitness. (1/2 credit for each)

Consumer Education: Lowe, Consumer Education & Economics (1/2 credit)

Music: we are double checking the local Jr college. She wants to take the courses there but if not allowed then she wants to use their text books and do the courses at home... but I don't know if the college will accept "credit" or advance placement. (1-2 credits) She is also taking piano and guitar lessons.

Italian: She hasn't picked the curriculum. (1 credit)

For 10th grade she will do chemistry, algebra 2, W.C grade 11, continue with the World History/World Geograhy/World Literature as these are spread out two years instead of each done in one year, Italian, Government, Life Skills, Drivers Education, AP Music Theory or take at Jr college.

For son he wants to take a more accelerated pace:

Language Arts: W.C grammar & composition 10th grade (1 credit)

World History: Narrowed text choices to Stearns, World Civilization: The Global Experience or Spodek, The World's History.... both are AP text. (1/2 credit)

World Geography: Narrowed text choices to Rubenstein, The Cultural Landscape or Salter, Essentials of Regional Geography... first is a AP, the other honors text. (1/2 credit)

World Literature: Glencoe World Literature (1/2 credit)

Algebra 2: Larson's Application/Equation/Graphs (1 credit)

then Geometry: Larson's Geometry (1 credit)

Chemistry: Suchocki, Conceptual Chemistry or Tro or Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry (all three are honors level). (1 credit)

Then he wants to do Hewitt, Conceptual Physics or Prentice Hall

Conceptual Physics. (1 credit)

Health/Fitness: Lifetime Health or Health & Wellness

and Williams, Personal Fitness. (1/2 credit for each)

Consumer Education: Lowe, Consumer Education & Economics (1/2 credit)

Computers: Peter Norton, Intro to Computer: Computing Fundamentals, then Introductory to Programming w/Java: A problem Solving Approach

(1/2 credit each).

Latin: Wheelocks Latin. (1-2 credit) (he wants to start this summer and finish by end of next summer)

For 10th grade he wants to do AP chemistry then AP physics, precalculus, W.C grade 11, continue with the World History/World Geograhy/World Literature as these are spread out two years instead of each done in one year, German, Government, Life Skills, Drivers Education, AP Computer Science/Java.

For 11th grade both plan to attend Jr college full time for dual credit. We shall see....

You're allotting one full credit for grammar and composition and another 1/2 credit for literature? This seems a bit much, and more than most schools do. You could combine the classes and do grammar more lightly--we just label them English 1, 2, 3, 4. If you're doing all those AP science classes, the transcript is going to be really full; maybe you don't need the 1.5 credits of english per year?

We've used Larson's with Chalkdust and like them.

The grammar/composition text I bought includes some literature with linking writing and literature focus.... so maybe I should just drop World Literature as they probably don't need it as an elective.

I have some rethinking to do... LOL.

Thank you.

Your twins might have covered this in the past, but if they haven't you might want to incorporate some type of a logic course within the next four years. It is a skill that you need for life IMHO. It is tough planning out everything and try to put so much knowledge in such a short time frame. You did a good job!

Your twins might have covered this in the past, but if they haven't you might want to incorporate some type of a logic course within the next four years. It is a skill that you need for life IMHO. It is tough planning out everything and try to put so much knowledge in such a short time frame. You did a good job!

I don't think they had any logic course/lessons in school. We are just starting out with homeschooling and they are starting high school.

I have no idea where to even start for them with a logic course... any tips would be appreciated!!!

I am hoping it isn't too much for them with what they wanted to do. Figure with homeschooling we have the flexibility to make changes if it does seem too much.

Especially I am thinking of our son... he wants to do two years of math and two years of science in one year. I know he is capable intellectually (he has been reading college level science texts since elementary school) but maturity wise... I don't know. One reason why we opted to not even let him consider starting college courses this year-LOL He wanted to but we vetoed that idea until we could get a better idea of what he really can do independently. He still have some of the autism difficulties to work around and learn to deal with.

His sister seems to be more on a even level. She wants to get a solid well rounded education while having some time to explore her interests, study/compete Kung Fu, and have fun... LOL. She is only in a hurry to start college music classes-LOL.

Anita

It will be a heavy load for him, but if he's motivated . . . As you say, one of the wonders of homeschooling is the ability to adapt.

One thing that caught my eye is that he is planning on AP Physics before starting calculus. Most AP Physics courses are calculus based. I believe there is an Physics A test (algebra based) but have read that colleges aren't interested in it and what would be the point of two algebra based physics courses?

She is only in a hurry to start college music classes-LOL.

Anita

It's wonderful that you've brought them home so they can pursue their passions!

I think you are wise to keep ds home to allow him time to grow up a bit. He might not even notice, but he could feel very "other" than every one else on campus. Why even have a kid need to deal with that?

Two thoughts: 1) the Larson geometry text is quite "proofy." If you don't allow him to gloss over that, it will help him develop his preparatory logic skills. 2) re. dd only wanting to take music classes--the less you do at cc, the greater flexibility she'll have to pursue things on her own schedule and on the timetable that is optimal for the family. The one big downside that no one seems to have mentioned recently is the dual credit ties you to a schedule that comes with its own opportunity cost.

What you've outlined looks great--best wishes to the three of you!!

There are exams for physics B, physics C - mechanics, and physics C - electricity and magnetism. B is algebra-based, while C is calculus based. Each part of C will usually grant one semester of college credit, so both parts will grant one year. B will usually only give credit for a general education physics course. C can be taken concurrently with calculus but not before. If he does alg 2 and geo this year, he could hypothetically do precalc/calc 1 next year and fit the mechanics C course in as a spring semester course. (do note that this would be moving at a college pace in math and science). Fitting both C courses and chemistry into one year would be a triple load in science (and math, as he'd need to fit in precalc/calc 1/calc 2). If he chooses B, be aware that he'll need to take first year physics at university with calculus.

Especially I am thinking of our son... he wants to do two years of math and two years of science in one year. I know he is capable intellectually

Not a bad idea at all. Why not. Choose to excel one at a time with hope to finish it within a half of year. Then he can do two math courses in a year. What 2 years of math are you thinking about?

I have a question about the credits you're awarding.

Why only 1/2 credit for world history, world geography and world literature, for example? If you're going to do them the whole year, why would they only be 1/2 credit?

I'm new to homeschooling and I don't understand the whole "awarding of credits" thing. When I was in school, if you did something for a whole year, it was 1 credit. If you did it for a semester, it was 1/2 credit.

Especially I am thinking of our son... I know he is capable intellectually (he has been reading college level science texts since elementary school) but maturity wise... I don't know.

As a 9th grader, how old is he? When there is a gap between intellectual ability and maturity, yes, you will have some issues how to assist right.

Not a bad idea at all. Why not. Choose to excel one at a time with hope to finish it within a half of year. Then he can do two math courses in a year. What 2 years of math are you thinking about?

He is doing algebra 2 and geometry next year as a freshman... and chemistry and conceptual physics.

Anita

It will be a heavy load for him, but if he's motivated . . . As you say, one of the wonders of homeschooling is the ability to adapt.

One thing that caught my eye is that he is planning on AP Physics before starting calculus. Most AP Physics courses are calculus based. I believe there is an Physics A test (algebra based) but have read that colleges aren't interested in it and what would be the point of two algebra based physics courses?

I wrote this post before I really knew about the AP exams. So we have made some changes... he is doing conceptual physics as freshman this year (with algebra 2, geometry, chemistry). Then next year he will do AP chemistry and precalculus and start into calculus. If he does this, then he may be able to do AP physics his junior year. But by then he may just do dual credit course at junior college near us.

Anita

I have a question about the credits you're awarding.

Why only 1/2 credit for world history, world geography and world literature, for example? If you're going to do them the whole year, why would they only be 1/2 credit?

I'm new to homeschooling and I don't understand the whole "awarding of credits" thing. When I was in school, if you did something for a whole year, it was 1 credit. If you did it for a semester, it was 1/2 credit.

I was having them do World History, Geography, World Literature (would be 1 credit each) spread out over two years (freshman and sophmore years) slower pace. So each would actually be 1/2 credit a year. They will still get 1 credit for each course.

I think I read a post that it may be best to do World History and World Geography separate?

Also someone mentioned that the English course usually includes the literature portion along with grammar/composition.

So to be honest... we don't know for sure how we are doing this-LOL.

My twins rather keep grammar/composition separate and do World Literature combined with World History (they will be picking books to read instead of sections of stories, etc. from a literature text book. So likely this is what we will do, but we may hold off on geography for another year.

Anita

As a 9th grader, how old is he? When there is a gap between intellectual ability and maturity, yes, you will have some issues how to assist right.

He and his sister just turned 14 in April. They will be 9th graders next school year.

Ds prefers adults. For the most part he has no use for peers his age. He has a few friends and that is all he wants (they have same interests as Ds). He is happiest having discussions with adults. He gets along with teens if they are adult like. But if they behave like a "crazy teenager" (his terminology) then he just ignores them and pretty much they are not a part of his world.

Anita