Menu

For those who have used Prentice Hall Chemistry

Did you complete the book in one year? If not, how long did it take ?

Susan

Hi Susan,

We are doing this program next year. We will only spend one year on chemistry. I've been online and looked at several websites for public school teachers that use PH Chemistry. I can't believe how many chapter they skip!

I am going to be doing a lot more research on this topic to figure out what we will do and what we will skip. At this point, I only plan to skip the very last chapter on nuclear chemistry. However, I may skip more.

Besides looking at online syllabi, I also plan to purchase a study guide for the SAT Chemistry subject test. The subjects that are required by the SAT Chem test will play a part in my decision.

HTH,

Holly

ETA: Here's what is on the SAT test: http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/chemistry/chapter2section1.rhtml

Edited by HollyinNNV

Hi Susan,

We are doing this program next year. We will only spend one year on chemistry. I've been online and looked at several websites for public school teachers that use PH Chemistry. I can't believe how many chapter they skip!

I am going to be doing a lot more research on this topic to figure out what we will do and what we will skip. At this point, I only plan to skip the very last chapter on nuclear chemistry. However, I may skip more.

Besides looking at online syllabi, I also plan to purchase a study guide for the SAT Chemistry subject test. The subjects that are required by the SAT Chem test will play a part in my decision.

HTH,

Holly

ETA: Here's what is on the SAT test: http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/chemistry/chapter2section1.rhtml

Thank you.

:iagree: with how many chapters ps skips.

My dd took pre-AP biology at our ps last semester (block scheduling).The first 9 weeks (mind you, the first HALF of the course) they only covered 5 chapters. (They were difficult chapters on biochemistry etc). The scheduling of labs, tests etc. leaves little time. I think they only covered 13 chapters in depth the entire semester. Then the students divided into groups and presented chapters on animals. They didn't cover Anatomy and Physiology at all. The text had 51 chapters total. Surprising isn't it?

susan