Menu

I can't teach geometry.....

Please tell me about a program my dd could take which I wouldn't have to get involved. I never took geometry!!! She has been using TT for Pre, Alg. I, and currently Alg. II. I have had to do the lessons with her to spoon feed her, but I can't do this with geometry if I can get away from it. She will be finishing Alg. II this summer probably, and if she can handle it we may start geometry too, b/c she seems to be a little behind others. She's heading into her Junior year.

Any suggestions? I've seen programs such as videotext and chalkdust, but no nothing about them.

Thanks,

Whitney

and truthfully, this is my favorite BJU DVD course thus far in terms of the good instruction and that my nonmathy 11th gr dtr "gets" it. (She did VT Alg 1 and Math Relief Alg 2).

My gf told me at the beginning of the year, "I just had to sit down next to my daughter all the way through geometry". This helped my *mindset*. IOW, I understood that I would be required to help a lot. As it turns out, I haven't had to help as much. Out of 12 chapters, there have been 2-3 where my dtr required a lot of hand holding.

But for the most part, she has been more independent then I thought she would be. My second younger 9th gr "mathy" dtr has just started the BJU geometry and the only chapter that she has needed help on so far is chapter 4, constructions.

I have a couple of criticisms of BJU DVDs/Geometry, but they are primarily organizational.

#1 - Dr. Conn doesn't give homework every day; prob just 3-4 days a week - this is the first math class we *ever* took that didn't give homework every day?

#2 - Dr. Conn is often not following the sked provided by BJU; he gets behind and so the printed sked (from 2003) doesn't match the assignment he gives on the DVD orally. This means in order for my dtr and I to write down/plan out her coming week, we have to "guess" which assignments will be assigned with ea DVD based on guessing if he is 1-2 or 3 days behind. (Since these DVDs were made in 2003 and the lease of the taped class costs $400, I would have expected BJU could have printed a schedule that matched the DVDs....)

#3 - Dr Conn doesn't assign the chapter reviews or the 5-6 lesson exercises that are "cumulative review". I know for my dtr these are important and we do the review questions on every assignment and every chapter review.

Some of the above annoyances are because I am keeping track of 5 kids. All in all, I have been very happy with the BJU DVDs because dtr has not required the hand-holding I feared!

One caveat, I would have prob. used VT Geometry as I loved VT Alg. However, dtr did not like VT. Also, we tried Chalkdust Geometry for a few weeks but dtr was at my side, lost, and I think Mosely's lessons were too brief (tho CD did start with a more complicated (to us) concept (transformations and symmetry) and it just seemed like the 45min lesson of BJU gave her a little more hand-holding then Chalkdust did? (We didn't stay with Chalkdust long because we had decided we might as well try BJU since I had bought some other classes from BJU DVDs.)

HTH - more info then you asked for.

lisaj