Menu

Middle Ages Study Ideas Needed

My ds, going into 10th, has decided that instead of a BJU DVD course for history that he'd like to study the Middle Ages (something caught his eye with King Arthur's Court and castles). Any suggestions on a program that is laid out, check the boxes, not overwhelming?

It sounds like you're looking more for history, but I thought I'd mention the Greenleaf Guide to Medieval Literature anyway because it's laid out, easy to use, and not overwhelming.

http://www.greenleafpress.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&cPath=24&products_id=1447&zenid=719d29ca0d49dce4d5a0d15d4b658b99

Thanks to all for excellent suggestions - I always read about the Greenleaf products but always seem to forget to check out the website. Funny about the BF suggestion as I had an old catalog so had just requested a new one. Hmmmm,,,,, lots to think about and discuss with my young man.

We are doing the Middle Ages next year using History Odyssey, but I am going to be pulling in some of the Beautiful Feet materials. I just noticed yesterday that the BF literature guide does not start the Middle Ages with the fall of Rome. They start in 1215 with the Magna Carta. So, it is missing a few hundred years of history. I just thought I would mention that in case it was important to you.

Jennie

Hmmmm,,,,, lots to think about and discuss with my young man.

I caught my middle ds smiling about school when I told him that we could study the Middle Ages.

We own Konos year 2. It covers from Rome through the the 1300's. Konos is more activity based.

We own EOC. It covers from 500BC-1500AD. It is research based.

This year has gone so well for middle ds using WinterPromise S&S that I plan to use Winterpromise QMA next year. QMA is more visual than Konos or EOC and both of these are much more visual than History Odyssey or BF Books which are not visual at all.

If your ds is interested in "seeing" the middle ages, then WP QMA is the way to go.

While it will have some activities that will round out the program, they are not the basis of the program. Instead there will be weekly activity and website suggestions.

While it will contain some research suggestions, every week will not be a trip to the library. Every three weeks there will be 4 research projects suggested- a hands-on, a creative, a people-related, or a geeked-up.

There will also be movie suggestions. These things can round out the study and add a really fun dimension, but, if your week is busy and you just need to get through it, there are check boxes for a very interesting book list.

HTH-

Mandy