Menu

If you are setting up notebooks for next year...

what are you including?

Things like book report forms, science experiment forms, maps etc.

My mom gave me her old scanner when she upgraded. So, I think I'm going to give notebooks a try for the upcoming year. We are expecting a baby this year and I thought it might help.

I don't want to think about anything but baby time.

Guest Kris in PA

I've been setting up notebooks for my boys for a few years now, and I consider it one of the best organizing ideas, ever! In PA we have to submit a portfolio of their work at the end of each year, so by setting up a notebook at the very beginning of each year, I don't have to worry about finding samples of their work when portfolio time rolls around.

I do most of the prep work, but I expect them to be responsible for checking their weekly assignments, coming to me for help, and filing their finished work behind the appropriate tab. It has worked well, as long as I monitor and make sure things are getting done.

Here are the things I include:

In the front I place their 36 weekly schedule sheets that are filled-in and ready for them to check-off as work is completed...these serve as their daily logs that also get submitted at year's end;

Because we use Ambleside, I include a copy of our year's composers, artists, Shakespeare works, hymns, and folksongs by semester that we'll be studying;

Copies of the hymns and folksongs (they also use these for copywork throughout the year);

A calendar that runs from July to June where I list any field trips or special events we attend;

A laminated map of the world;

Personalized reading lists that they check-off as they complete;

Finally, tabs for each subject where they file their completed papers.

It's nice to include a few sheet protectors, also, to have a place for artwork, event programs, or other "keepsakes" that don't hole-punch very well.

When we followed WTM, I did include book report sheets and science experiment forms that you mentioned...anything you can think of ahead of time to include will be a great help to you when your little girl arrives!!!

We also have 3 boys...14(on Sat.), 9, 6, and our 4th was a girl who is now 2. I am so enjoying the dresses, hair bows, and pretty shoes! And her brothers adore her! She'll change your family dynamic...in a good way, I'm sure. Best wishes for a smooth transition.