Menu

Vocab from Classical Roots or Vocab. for the High School Student?

I have one student using one and one using the other so I may be able to help you a bit. I like them both for different reasons. My son is using VFHSS because he hates vocab work and this book seems to be a bit more user-friendly for him. There are exercises involving synonyms/antonyms, taking long sentences and consolidating them with vocab words, there are analogies. I would recommend that you get the answer key because grading without it can be difficult. At least it was for me :) If you order from Rainbow, you have to call to get the code for the answer key because it's not in their cataloge.

My daughter is using Vocab from the Classical Roots. I choose it for her because she loves vocabulary, investigating new words is a hobby for her so the set-up of Classical Roots is perfect. Each lesson is based on a latin or greek root. There are not as many exercises as there are in VFHSS so there is not as much practice. When I ordered her the books for next year, I did order the teacher's guides this time rather than just the answer keys because I heard that there were more reinforcement activities in these guides.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to help out.

I have one student using one and one using the other so I may be able to help you a bit. I like them both for different reasons. My son is using VFHSS because he hates vocab work and this book seems to be a bit more user-friendly for him. There are exercises involving synonyms/antonyms, taking long sentences and consolidating them with vocab words, there are analogies. I would recommend that you get the answer key because grading without it can be difficult. At least it was for me :) If you order from Rainbow, you have to call to get the code for the answer key because it's not in their cataloge.

My daughter is using Vocab from the Classical Roots. I choose it for her because she loves vocabulary, investigating new words is a hobby for her so the set-up of Classical Roots is perfect. Each lesson is based on a latin or greek root. There are not as many exercises as there are in VFHSS so there is not as much practice. When I ordered her the books for next year, I did order the teacher's guides this time rather than just the answer keys because I heard that there were more reinforcement activities in these guides.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to help out.

Do you have to have proof that you homeschool to order the answer key. I've noticed some companies require a teacher's certificate number or some kind of proof from the state that you homeschool. I don't have anything like that. I was just wondering why you have to call to order the answer key.

(Btw, is there some way I can have just a portion of a post quoted? In the post I am quoting above, could I just quote the last sentence of the first paragraph since that is what I am referring to? I can't seem to figure out how to do that. It reprints the whole post.)

(Btw, is there some way I can have just a portion of a post quoted? In the post I am quoting above, could I just quote the last sentence of the first paragraph since that is what I am referring to? I can't seem to figure out how to do that. It reprints the whole post.)

When you hit quote, it does quote the entire post. Here's what to do .... You'll see

at the beginning of the quote. Leave that there and then delete the parts following that that you do not want. At the very end of the quoted portion you'll see
. Make sure you leave that intact.

Give it a try.

Regards,

Kareni

Do you have to have proof that you homeschool to order the answer key. I've noticed some companies require a teacher's certificate number or some kind of proof from the state that you homeschool. I don't have anything like that. I was just wondering why you have to call to order the answer key.

You don't need any proof when you order it from Rainbow. I just called right before I placed my online order and they gave me the item number and I had to put the information in the "comment" section before I placed my order. I'm not sure what form the answer key is in for VFTHSS. Last year when I ordered that answer key I received a paper book with all the answers. This past week I ordered VFTCBS with the answer key and the answer key is on a CD. I haven't even had a chance to put it into my computer to see what it is like. I suppose I'll have to print it out myself to make it really convenient to use.