Menu

We are finishing up Omnibus 3. DS does not want to do Ancients again next year....

What do you suggest we should do??

I was thinking of focusing in on the 20th century since that is what we will be doing with my younger kids...then he can come along...

OR: maybe 1/2 year Intro to Philosophy and 1/2 Year Economics to pop off those credits...

OR: HMMMM

I would like to spend more time on writing and Grammar...and some Literary analysis....mostly writing good essays and research papers....

My son will be going into 10th grade....I am a bit at a loss as to what to do with him next year.

Here are his other courses....

Math: Teaching TT Alg 2 into Pre-calc

Science: Apologia Chemistry with Lab at home

Traditional Logic 2

IEW Elegant Essay

IEW Windows to the World??????

Phys Ed. US Swim Team (practice and meets take up a lot of our time...sigh...)

Bible/Theology????

History/ Literature/ Great Books study?????

HELP...GULP!

Faithe

Hasn't he just had 20th Cent as part of Omnibus 3? You could go deeper, I suppose, or incorporate Economics and Am Gov't into a 20th cent lit course. I used Sonlight 300's reading list and tweaked it.

For ds' senior year (done partly in the summer and partly in the Fall semester), we did one semester of Am Gov't, one semester of poetry (used Progeny Press), and one semester (concurrent with poetry) of short stories. We added in the following GB's to fill in some holes in his GB study, since we missed year 3 of the rotation:

Frankenstein (used PP guide)

selections from Poe (used Sparknotes)

Lord of the Flies

Moby Dick (used various sources)

Huck Finn

Yep Chris, He is finishing up the 20th century...but it was a mile wide and an inch deep....IOW...he would like to dig deeper into contemporary issues...politics etc.

I am just not sure how to go about it. I guess if I could figure out how to articulate what he would like to study it would make it easier. he is very interested in politics, constitutional law as it effects us today...current events and the causes of them...maybe it would make sense to do the Constitutional Law Course through Patrick Henry?? But I am not sure we will have the money to do too many online classes next year...and I would rather have a more hands on approach with this child next year. He needs me to be involved with his studies.

We had a great time with TOG year 4 (classic). Really, the reading list was the best part along with the "Idiot's Guide to 20th Century History". It was nice to have the TOG guides as I was able to buy them used, but using WTM techniques (timelines, outlines, etc.), we could have done fine without them. We also added in "The American Experience" DVD's about the presidents from Netflix along with "1900 House", "1940 House" from PBS. (There might be more of those - been a while...).