Menu

X-post from K-8 What fun things did you do for 6th/7th grade history/science?

Dss will be in 6th/7th grades next year and I'm looking for FUN ideas to incorporate into history and science. We will be studying American History Explorers to say 1850 or so using the Hakim series, and Life Science using PHSE.

So far the only ideas that I've been able to come up with are:

History: I am hoping that we will be able to make it to Williamsburg in the fall and maybe some trips into DC to the American History Museum.

Life Science: I was thinking it might be fun to do some nature journaling. Perhaps by means of photography or video, instead of straight journaling. We do have an arboretum close by that offers hands on field trips that cover measuring biodiversity, analyzing water quality, and field ecology research.

Other than those things I really can't think of anything. Is there anything that stands out in your mind that your dc seemed to really enjoy? Ideally, these things wouldn't involve a lot travel, things that could be done at home or at least close to home. These ideas could be artsy in nature, experiments, projects, anything.

Any and all ideas are welcome.:)

TIA

I would definitely head to Jamestown and Yorktowne while you're in Williamsburg. In Jamestown, there are two sites to visit - the new visitor center and the historical site where they found the actual settlement. You can also head to the Baltimore's Harbor district for the aquarium and the science center. In New Jersey, we have the Washington Crossing Park and in Pennsylvania, you can visit Gettysburg.

If you head to Washington, D.C., I would recommend the week around Labor Day in September. We did that two years ago, and the place was empty! We were able to visit the Washington Monument, National Archives, Federal Engraving and Printing, Spy Museum, plus others with little or no lines. It was great. Have fun and enjoy!

I would definitely head to Jamestown and Yorktowne while you're in Williamsburg. In Jamestown, there are two sites to visit - the new visitor center and the historical site where they found the actual settlement. You can also head to the Baltimore's Harbor district for the aquarium and the science center. In New Jersey, we have the Washington Crossing Park and in Pennsylvania, you can visit Gettysburg.

If you head to Washington, D.C., I would recommend the week around Labor Day in September. We did that two years ago, and the place was empty! We were able to visit the Washington Monument, National Archives, Federal Engraving and Printing, Spy Museum, plus others with little or no lines. It was great. Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for the ideas, these are great!

We live about 60 miles west of DC so popping over there isn't a huge ordeal for us. Of course ever since we moved out here we don't do too much "popping over" anymore. I hadn't considered the places you mentioned to visit there. Those are great ideas. It's funny, I grew up right outside DC, and as a local you tend not to do the "museum thing" too much. Too many people.

Thanks for mentioning the aquarium, we've been meaning to go there for years and keep forgetting. That is the flip side to moving away from an area like DC. Once you leave you tend to forget about places like Baltimore and its attractions, because instead of being an hour away it becomes 2 or more.

Do you have any idea how far away from the DC area the Washington Crossing Park is? That sounds like it might be a fun trip. Dh is originally from NJ.

Gettysburg is another good idea, that definitely could be done as a day trip. Ds just came back from camping there with his scout troop but I'm sure he would like to go back.

Thanks again:)