Menu

Has anyone used Classic Science (e=mcq)

Country Girl

Does anyone use Classic Science (e=mcq)? I downloaded the free Life Science program a while ago but never did anything with it because we were interested in focusing on other topics. However, now my son is starting to feel like he has done all the physical science he'd like to for awhile and is interested in life or earth science. I remembered this and thought I'd take a look again. I was just wondering if there is anyone here who is using it? What ages do you use this for, do you feel the text provides enough info and at what level, do the experiments tie into the text (and are they mostly experiments or more project like?), do your kids enjoy it? I'm concerned it may be too simplistic but I also think my ds could use a bit of a more "fun" curriculum than we've been using. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have.

Thanks!

I haven't used it yet, but I'm planning on it for next year for my rising 4th grader. I think she will really like the text. I like that it covers so many areas of biology (unlike RS4K, whose biology I find severely undernourished).

Have you had some time to look at the parent text? It lays out what to do every day, and the experiments look doable and also definitely tie in with the curriculum. My biggest challenge will actually be doing them - the hands-on side of things is where I tend to fall down.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm planning on it for next year for my rising 4th grader. I think she will really like the text. I like that it covers so many areas of biology (unlike RS4K, whose biology I find severely undernourished)

We have just started using it. I agree about RS4K.

I have only looked thru the parents' book about halfway through so far, the only thing I may not have is unflavored gelatin - but sometimes I have that. ds is enjoying the activities so far. They are not SOO big that I falter in getting them set up or having them on hand (like getting tadpoles in the middle of winter in North Dakota in RS4K pre-Bio!) but they are interesting enough for him so far. ds love-love-loves science so he is eating it up at age 7 but he's been really soaking up science as long as he could read or get me to read it to him - so I don't know about ages and levels with it, but we find it more in depth and more humorous than RS4K.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I too have a 7yo who eats up everything science. I have looked through several of the sections and like what I see. However, I haven't had time to sit down and really go through each and every section to see the full picture. One thing I really like is the actual experiments that are included.... having the child set up an experiment following the scientific method and changing a variable to see the outcome. That is not something I've seen in most other programs that are marketed to the same age group that this program is marketed too.

It is also helpful to have the comparison to RS4K. We did pre-level 1 Chem last year and I really wasn't thrilled with it.

Thanks!