Menu

Have you used Analytical Grammar?

Ashkraw

I am loooking for postitive or negative input on Analytical Grammar. I am thinking about using this next year for my girls. Also, I would like to know if anyone has used the "Teaching to Write an Essay" program they sale.

Thanks, Monica

Monica,

I adore Analytical Grammar. The one and only thing I don't care for is the small type, so I type them into Word.

By the way I am a math person, so this is the first time in my life I have understood grammar. :cool:

Did I mention how much I like this program? :D

Heather

Use it (finished season 1), love it, and best of all, ds GETS IT. (I won't say he LOVES it, but I will be sure to post when he loves anything about school :) !)

What I really like (besides the content!) is that you end up with a reference book at the end - you can remove all the consumable pages, and just have a nicely-organized, take-it-to-college (which I think Erin did, right Erin?) booklet.

Tried it. Didn't care for it. It's a good program -- just too "workbook-y" for our non-workbook learners. A blend of Winston Grammar plus programs to practice editing and grammar mechanics, plus fun supplements have worked very well here and kept grammar "short and sweet".

Here is a thread with more input on AG: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12550&highlight=analytical+grammar

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmly, Lori D.

Use it (finished season 1), love it, and best of all, ds GETS IT. (I won't say he LOVES it, but I will be sure to post when he loves anything about school :) !)

What I really like (besides the content!) is that you end up with a reference book at the end - you can remove all the consumable pages, and just have a nicely-organized, take-it-to-college (which I think Erin did, right Erin?) booklet.

Yup, I did! The story I like to tell is that my senior year of college I decided to take a 400-level grammar course as my last English requirement (I knew it'd be easy and I had a MAJOR case of senioritis!). The curriculum was TERRIBLE (circle the nouns in the list-type junk that loses all credibility with me). The other kids in the class really didn't know any grammar and were LOST. I had befriended a girl I sat next to and one day I brought in my grammar notebook and told her to look at it and see if the notes helped her. She was thrilled and how much better she understood and I began passing it around the class. By the end of the semester, almost everyone in the class had given me $5 to make them a copy at Kinkos (this is before AG was on the market, BTW!) Too funny ... I wonder if THEY still have their copies??? Also, if you are on Facebook, look for the group "Former students of Robin Finley." You'll see posts from kids who had my mom and many of them talk about how much they learned from her grammar program. It's pretty cool to see. Maybe homeschoolers who went through AG will someday join, too ...

Blessings,