Menu

92% vs 90% for an "A"- any advantage?

I'd been using 92% but when I recently signed up my son up for SAT II (French), they asked about grades and I found that they stipulate 90% for an A.

Besides the recent thread about transcripts where people talked about not putting grades on their transcripts at all, I am wondering what the general habits are about this?

Thanks!

Joan

You can do it any way you like.

I actually did an A as 93% - 100%, with a B being between 84% and 93%. It worked well until ds1's senior year, when he ALMOST had several grades in the 92% area. He did squeak by with A's, but I would have been seriously annoyed if I had ended up giving him a B just because I used a more rigorous grading standard than usual.

So with my younger kids I am just going to use the A -- 90 - 100; B -- 80-90 grading system.

... but I obsessed over this for a couple of days, myself. Solved it by going to beaucoup (French LOL) websites for high schools, online courses, etc. I surveyed their grading scales. Found only a very few exceptions to the 90-80-70 model. So I'm going with the herd on this one.

Karen

So while an "A" is defined as 93% to 100%, a 93 will give you 4.000 grade points if it's a college prep class, 4.500 if it's an Honors course, and 5.000 if it's an AP course. But, a 96% final grade would give you 4.375, 4.875 or 5.375 grade points, respectively. Each percentage point in the final grade increases or decreases the grade point by .125.

I really dislike it. My dd usually gets A's but right now has two B's that are a 91 and 92. She works very hard and will be very disappointed if she gets a B. I wish the grading scale was the same throughout all the schools. I've noticed that a friend of ours has a dd in the same math as dd uses. Just for that math they use a completely different scale. They only need something like an 88 for an A. So my dd needs a 93 for an A and her friend only needs an 88. Their B range would be a D for my dd.

Most of the high schoolers I know have the 90, 80 scale so I wonder how colleges view those grades vs. grades where my dd goes.