Menu

Comparative Religion course...

My daughter is interested in doing a comparative religion course - it could be either 1/2 or full credit - to do as an elective. Do you have any ideas for curriculum? I'm not really looking for a worldview course. I want something that would discuss the major religions of the world. We are doing enough worldview-wise to be able to compare and contrast with our believes ourselves.

Heather

At the time, I gave her a full credit for it. Looking back now, though, it seems kind of skimpy. It's probably more like half a credit.

Anyway, here's the description:

World Religions: An introduction to the essential elements and teachings of the predominant world religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity and primal religions. In addition to the basic text, the student reads from original sacred texts and participates in field trips that help illuminate both the history and current practice of various traditions.

Text: Illustrated World’s Religions: A Guide to Our Wisdom Traditions, Huston Smith (Harper Collins, 1994)

Additional Reading:

Baghavad Gita

Dhammapada

“Hymn to the Great Aten,†A History of Ancient Egypt, Nicolas Grimal (Ian Shaw, translator)

“Interview with Confucius, Buddha, and Lao Tzu,†Jacquelin Cangro, Learning Through History: Ancient China (Issue 6, Volume 2, 2004)

Oxford Bible: Genesis, Esther, Exodus, Job, Ruth, Jonah

Popol Vuh : The Definitive Edition Of The Mayan Book Of The Dawn Of Life And The Glories of Gods and Kings, Dennis Tedlock (translator)

What Would Buddha Do? Franz Aubrey Metcalf

Supplementary Films & Documenries:

A Life Apart: Hasidism in America (1997)

Ancient Evidence: Old Testament (BBC)

Gates of Jerusalem (2003)

Godspell (1973)

Gospel of Judas (National Geographic)

Islam: Empire of Faith (PBS)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (1998)

Kingdom of David: Saga of the Israelites (PBS)

Little Buddha (1994)

Mystic India (2005)

Field Trips

National Change Your Mind Day: Buddhist Meditation Lecture

Hindu Society of Central Florida: Tour of Hindu Temple

In the Beginning, Harriet Lake Festival of New Plays

Ink and Blood: Sacred Treasures of the Bible, Florida International Museum

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Broadway in Orlando (National Tour)