Menu

Biology: Exploring Life vs. Biology by Miller/Levine

I gather from reading old posts that Biology-Miller is considered a more challenging course than Exploring Life. True?

Would you say Biology by Miller is comparable to a beginning community college course or is it just an advanced high school course?

Does Exploring Life require the same level of knowledge of chemistry that Biology by Miller requires?

If we did Biology/Miller we would do PH physical science first. Would you also recommend physical science if we decided to do Exploring Life first?

Karen

Edited by kRenee

I haven't seen the Miller, but I've seen the Campbell's Exploring Life and it looks quite good. My brother's a high school biology teacher in one of the top schools in our state (one of those schools full of upper-middle class kids elbowing each other aside to get into the Ivy Leagues), and that's what they use for their freshman biology to prepare kids to later take the AP course with "Daddy" Campbell, so I would think it's quite rigorous.

We are using Biology: Exploring Life this year for 9th grade, and we really enjoy it. Be sure to get the CD of on-line activities or get access to them from PH. They are not just fluff, but instead are an integral part of the program. There are lots of great labs to go with this course, but be advised that you will have to modify many of them for home use and some are not doable at home due to expense of materials, etc.

My son did Apologia Physical Science in 7th grade - it gave him a good background for understanding the chemistry in Biology. There is lots more chem in bio now than when I was in high school!

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

My son used this in 9th grade and took the SAT II in bio that June. He did very well (740). From what I can tell, like the "baby Campbell", the Miller/Levine is considered a good pre-AP bio.

I keep seeing the comment about Miller/Levine requiring previous knowledge of chemistry. I've got to say, my ds (who is bright, but not a science lover) didn't have anything beyond basic middle school physical science knowledge. This was his first rigorous science course. We did look up things that gave him some difficulty (biologyjunction.com).

jmho. Good luck!

Maura

Hi Val,

My 9th grade son using Biology: Exploring Life is learning bio mostly on his own this year. He reads the chapter, does the on-line activities, and used the end-of-chapter reviews as tests. We have added a number of videos to present other points of view about the theory of evolution. I am doing labs with him and two of his friends. Our friends are doing Apologia Bio this year, so I have rearranged the chapters of both books as needed to mesh schedules. The labs require instruction, in my opinion, along with adaptation to do them in a home setting. The labs we have done from Bio: Ex Life have been interesting. For the sake of time here at the tail-end of the school year, I am going to do some of the demonstration and observation labs from Apologia for the plant chapters and then jump into dissections.

So, to answer your question, Bio: Ex Life can be done independently by a motivated student, but you will need to be actively involved in scheduling labs and getting the supplies for them.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

Yes, April. You have helped. Minutes ago I found out that the oversight/umbrella program we joined for next year requires General or Earth science for 9th grade. Now I have to revamp and look for a good General or Earth science. Any suggestions for a college bound, slightly (and I mean "slightly) above average (could do much better if he put forth some effort), artsy, music minded child with a mom who doesn't want to teach the subject herself? I need something that is student driven with little help from mom.

Val