Menu

The Argument Builder from Classical Academic Press for high school?

What has the hive used for logic in high school?

I started to answer you earlier, but I haven't seen this book. My oldest three used Intro to Logic, Nance/Wilson for a .5 high school credit. I wish that I had used Traditional Logic I and II and am currently working through those right now to use next year.

Lisa

Since no one else has answered, I give you what little I know. I just bought the book over the weekend and haven't had a chance to review it in detail. But the woman at the convention said it was a .5 credit. I plan on adding some logic and thinking excercises, such as Mind Benders C and Think Ahead Games by Critical Thinking, because ds needs them. I may also add assignments on finding fallacies and poorly constructed arguments in "real" life. I'll just adjust the amount of extra activities if we're short on Carnegie hours.

If you have any questions, ask them here and I'll try to answer them.

My 7th grader is doing TA of A. She is finding it very straight forward, but I can believe that it would be worth a minimal 1/2 credit, especially if supplemented by some other logic materials.

I think you're refering to the first book in the series, The Art of Argument. The Argument Builder is the 2nd in the 3 book series and presumably focuses on combining logic with rhetoric. The final book, planned to come out this summer, will cover, I believe, formal logic.

Since no one else has answered, I give you what little I know. I just bought the book over the weekend and haven't had a chance to review it in detail. But the woman at the convention said it was a .5 credit. I plan on adding some logic and thinking excercises, such as Mind Benders C and Think Ahead Games by Critical Thinking, because ds needs them. I may also add assignments on finding fallacies and poorly constructed arguments in "real" life. I'll just adjust the amount of extra activities if we're short on Carnegie hours.

If you have any questions, ask them here and I'll try to answer them.

Thank you, Kathy! That's reassuring to hear and I like your ideas for adding critical thinking exercises.