Menu

College Update

percytruffle

Hi everyone. I haven't been here for a while since I am basically done with hs'ing and am teaching full-time this year. But, I did want to pop in and share out college experience so far.

Dd, 20, will be graduating from our local cc this spring with a degree in science. She will be attending Cornell University this fall as a junior majoring in molecular and cell biology. All of her credits transfer and her cc profs have prepared her well, found scholarships for her, and written her amazing recommendations.

While at the cc she has had the opportunity to work as a paid lab assistant and tutor for bio and chem which has been a wonderful experience for her. She is in the honors program and in Phi Theta Kappa, which affords her scholarship dollars as she moves on.

Now that she has had the experience of being a big fish in a small (though academically good) pond she is feeling very confident about moving into the vast and fast-paced atmosphere of Cornell.

The road she has taken has truly been a blessing for us all.

My ds, 18 has been part-time this year at the same cc. He is a hs senior taking English and math courses there and doing history independently at home with TTC courses. He will be full-time at the cc in the fall and has just declared his major as business administration.

Just wanted to share our successes so far and the route we have taken since it is not the one everyone chooses to take.

Blessings to all and best wishes as you walk the path from hs to college. :)

Lisa,

Nice to hear from you again! I'm glad to hear that your dd has had such a great experience at the local cc (and your son as well).

Stop by again sometime and let us know how they are doing next fall.

Enough about their transition -- how was your transition from hs mom to back in the work force??? I'm wondering how that's going to go for me in a few years when my youngest graduates.

Brenda

Lisa,

Nice to hear from you again! I'm glad to hear that your dd has had such a great experience at the local cc (and your son as well).

Stop by again sometime and let us know how they are doing next fall.

Enough about their transition -- how was your transition from hs mom to back in the work force??? I'm wondering how that's going to go for me in a few years when my youngest graduates.

Brenda

Brenda, this week I am on Easter break, but most weeks by this time on a Friday night I am asleep! It is tiring to go back to full-time teaching in a classroom at age 46. But, the Christian school environment is great (even if the pay isn't) and the kids make it worth it. :) I am also the yearbook adviser. We just finished that and hit the send button to Jostens. That was a load off my shoulders! What a huge project a yearbook is. Next up is a large art show that we participate in in our community. The biggest challenges have to do with money/supplies/space shortages because we are not a huge school and because we are not state funded. I must say that it is nice to have a steady pay check again, especially with two in college.

I think the first year at a new job is always the hardest. I have had to learn everything and everyone. I had no trouble stepping back into the classroom. The students seem to like the art program and are flourishing. I have made many new friends and have a more active social life. It seems as though "my" life has begun again. A homeschooler tends to be focused on others and ready to go the extra mile to achieve the goal, forsaking her own wishes and dreams for a time. Now, I have had to readjust to thinking about my needs first. If I didn't, I would have burned out part way through the year. Eight hour days of "on time" in front of classes take their toll.

All things considered, I was ready for the change and it was what my family needed as well. They didn't need me to be at home anymore as a full-time facilitator/guide. They needed me to be a financial contributor and they needed to see me as an individual, separate from my role as a hs mom. Now, I am a role model to my kids in terms of career. My dd still wants to hs her kids someday even though she is off to an Ivy League education. I must have filled that role sufficiently. Now, she gets to catch a glimpse of the professional me. It is a pretty good mix.

I hope you are successful in transitioning when it comes time. Just be sure to delegate enough of the work at home so you don't burn out trying to be superwoman! I tried that. It doesn't work very well, especially since I have a dh who travels a fair amount for work.

The things that I have taken away from our hsing experience that are helping me in my job are: lofty goals, planning ability, more well read than I used to be, improved grammar skills, and broader knowledge base. These skills we hone as homeschoolers translate well to our careers afterward.

I hope this was helpful in some small way. :)

Your dd is in the spot my ds would love to be in, Cornell in molecular and cell biology. I'm going to share with him your dds route.

Thanks so much for the update.

Carole

Carole, the new 700 million dollar biology building is amazing......

Best of luck to your ds. I'm sure he will be there in a couple of years. From that list of courses he is taking, he certainly seems up to the task. ;)

Hi Lisa! Sounds like both of your kids are thriving. My ds has a good friend that just got accepted to Cornell (bio major) with a very similar background -- 2 years at CC (dual enrolled) all credits transfer, exceptional AA grades, biology tutor). So is Cornell homeschool friendly then? Or at least, homeschool considerate? ;) Cornell was on my short list for law school way back when, but I was married and we mutually decided to stay in Florida.

Have a great evening,

Lisa

I hope this was helpful in some small way. :)

Lisa,

Yes, hearing your story of your return to the work force is helpful and encouraging. I especially liked reading your thoughts about all the things you learned while homeschooling that are helping you in your new job.

I think the thing I like most about our community here is that all of us collectively rejoice when anyone's kiddos move on from homeschooling and do very well in life beyond our homes. I know I really enjoy hearing about the successes and challenges of others' kiddos, and hearing those stories often inspires me to greater goals/heights in my own homeschool.

But behind every successful kiddo is generally one dedicated, usually selfless mom, so I definitely appreciate your warning to reevaluate life after homeschooling and to put one's own wishes/priorities higher on the list.

I suspect you are a true blessing to your students. Thanks again for sharing.

Brenda