Menu

Struggling....

I'm struggling with emotions this week. I am in the middle of "the change" and really struggling in general. I am battling depression. We do have sunny skies this morning, so that does help.

Normally, I would take a break from school. Now, I need every single day until the end of May to "count" for our umbrella program.(We are in TN under an umbrella school to meet state regulations.) The kids need every single day possible to finish books as much as possible. I do allow them to stop at 80% complete, but they get a "B" if they do that.

Normally, I am buying curriculum and making plans for next year. Now, we have no money for books.. really, no money for gas and groceries either. We'll charge groceries to get through the end of the month.

I don't want to "do school". I want to clean house, read a novel, do yoga. I don't even want to plan school and planning is the best part. NO, seeing the results is the BEST part, but you know what I mean.

Sigh.

Just venting I guess.

:tongue_smilie:

Can you set them up with a list for a week and take a break yourself? I do this sometimes, if I am going to be very busy. It doesn't work for the long run in our family, but it works well for a week or so, especially if I am around on and off to answer questions. We have set school hours so they just keep working during the normal time. As far as next year's curriculum goes, check out this site: http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/m...ebra/index.htm

There might be more subjects available. The bilingual board has several listings for free language programs. Some school systems are willing to have your child take just one class (might be a good science option). The Florida PASS stuff is free. So is this stuff: http://www.hippocampus.org/;jsessionid=0CE00E3CE59A2F867F3C993B2E9CF1C7

Pinkmonkey has free lit guides that you could put together with one of the reading lists. There are some great free writing sites. National Geographic has a good geography curriculum on their site. Our library has internet access. If you lose yours, perhaps you could take your children to the library every day to do school next year? I have always thought that if I hit a spot where I just wasn't doing school with mine, even though I knew I ought to, that I would try moving our homeschool to the library. If all else failed, perhaps you could do Hippocampus or Texas A+M for math and science, do one of the free language sites for foreign language or use whatever your library has, do the National Geographic program for social studies, have your children write a 5 paragraph paper every week on a subject of their choice using one of the online guidelines, and read classics from your library and discuss them using the pinkmonkey material. I know it wouldn't be ideal, but I think it would probably be fine. At least you might relax during this hard time a bit knowing that you had some sort of plan for next year. Then, later, when you have more energy, you could look around for something better.

Lots of hugs and I hope you get through this month ok.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

First :grouphug:. I have been there and sometimes my dd gets a list and not much of me. Not too often, but we all need a day on occasion. Maybe work in some movies with the history or lit you are currently doing.

I love to plan and some years money is an issue here too. If you have a used bookstore around that might be a big help. I love the used bookstore, though, and have found a lot of curriculum there, such as Spielvogel, Forrester and Lial's math, Conceptual physics, Norton anthologies, Teaching Company tapes, and lots of classics. I will take some of my books in, get credit, and buy other books. Most of the time I don't spend any money out of pocket. Other times I have sold some of the curriculum and have been able to buy other things used with that money. As Nan mentioned there are lots of free things on the web, too. I find planning invigorating and often gets me through a day I wouldn't otherwise enjoy.

Hope you feel better soon!

Pam,

My youngest is struggling with depression. There seem to be great days and days that are such a struggle. But the 2 things that have helped are exercise (just walking is great) and a change in routine. The good news is that they can be done on a no money budget. And actually, they have been good for all of us so they would probably be good for your kids too.

We are in Middle TN so I understand what you are saying about the umbrella school stuff. You didn't mention the ages of your children but I am sure that if you brainstorm with them about it, they would come up with some great ideas.

:grouphug:Susie

Thanks for all the hugs.

I think a change of routine is exactly what we need, I'm just not sure how to do it right now.

I am not so depressed right now, but I was saying that I DO want to clean house. :) I am cleaning out my closet today and that feels GREAT!

I might take a few days off from the regular routine even if we do need the days to count. I could let the kids read some classic books and watch some documentaries. I could count the days, but we'd all still get a little break.

Thanks again everyone.