Menu

Abeka dvd school vs. bob jones dvd school

Guest cbutz

Guest cbutz

I am interested it know what people thought of Abeka's dvd school vs. Bob Jones dvd school? I am considering having my children do this next year.

Abeka's video samples were filmed via a single camera sitting on a tripod at the back of a classroom.

BJU's videos (we used HomeSat one year) were filmed by a full production staff, with such touches as extensive graphics and multiple camera angles. For example, rather than watching the teacher write on the whiteboard, the student would see a PowerPoint type of display on the screen. Or, during a Chemistry experiment, a camera might zoom in on the beaker from above so that you can see what's going on in there.

One note: I tried to have my oldest son go from Sonlight to HomeSat all at once. It was a disaster. The videos were very well done and the curriculum itself was topnotch, but the drastic change in methodology was not well received. We ended up compromising by having him do Science and Math with BJU, and went back to a Sonlight-style study of History and Language Arts.

HTH

My niece used A Beka videos for 10 years (2nd-12th grade) so my sister talked me into trying them this year. After 2 weeks I sent them all back. I like their books, but we did not like the videos. It was very distracting to wait for students to pass around the microphone. I also found the material way too repetitive. My DD and I both felt like "yelling" at the TV, "we get it already, move on!"

I've watched the BJU video samples online and I'm drooling over their high school Biology. As someone else mentioned, it looks like the camera is attached to the microscope so the student can see the actual microscope slides. It looks better than being in the classroom. I'm glad to hear people seem to like the BJU videos overall, especially after our poor experience with A Beka.

Hope this helps,

My closest friend just this year switched to a dvd series. She told me she very much wanted to use BJU - but she couldnt afford it. I cannot remember if she said Abeka was cheaper or they had a payment option that was more affordable than BJU. I do know the issue was money not content. She is satisfied with Abeka - indeed, her youngest is making great progress.

I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say I prefer ABeka.

In my 12 years of homeschooling, I have tried various and sundry courses from BJU. In the beginning, before they changed everything, I would say their Bible and Science courses were fantastic! Their reading program was pretty good too.

I can't stand their math. Really. I've tried it a number of times, always chalking up my experience to inexperience ;) The truth is, I hate their teacher's manuals. They're too wordy and full of "fluff" for my liking (especially their Heritage Studies and Math. **AWFUL**). Obviously, I'm just giving my opinion here.

I prefer Abeka's teacher's manuals, and their DVD's look fantastic. Almost every one I've seen has an enthusiastic, engaging teacher. We'll be using their entire 9th grade DVD program next year. I wouldn't even consider using it, however, for younger than 5th grade and probably not until 7th.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care for slick presentations. I prefer a get-to-the-point, give-it-to-me-straight format, which is probably why I prefer the ABeka over the BJU.

ymmv :D

I can't stand their math. Really. I've tried it a number of times, always chalking up my experience to inexperience ;) The truth is, I hate their teacher's manuals. They're too wordy and full of "fluff" for my liking

Yes, but you would not have this issue if using the BJU DVDs. ;)

their DVDs (Abeka's) look fantastic. Almost every one I've seen has an enthusiastic, engaging teacher.

That is because you have not seen them all. :lol:

We used Abeka for two years. My boys did K, 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. The first year was not bad. Video school was new and a novel thing for them. They had complaints, but I chalked it up to them needing to get used to Abeka curriculum. The 2nd year I ended up dropping some of the classes. My 1st grader HATED it. hated. it. My older boys were bored and just wanted to read from their books and do the work on their own. Especially in math. I finally concurred after I sat with them and watched several math classes. What a complete waste of time. Most of the class time was your child sitting there waiting for "real" children in the class to complete problems on the chalk board. The Math teacher did not do much actual instruction. It was bad. Truly. So I let them drop the math and they just read from their math books and did their work. It went from an hour of boring video, alongside a half hour of homework, to about 45 min of math. I also let them drop the English video. After we got rid of Abeka, my boys confessed to me how much they really disliked it. I also learned that even in the first year of using it the older two would ff many of their classes to "get on with it already."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care for slick presentations. I prefer a get-to-the-point, give-it-to-me-straight format, which is probably why I prefer the ABeka over the BJU.

Well, I hope Abeka gives you what you're wanting. But BJU does have a "get-to-the-point," "Give-it-to-me-straight" format. :001_huh: I think more so than Abeka because you don't have a classroom of children to deal with and wait on. The teacher is there talking directly to YOUR child. Now, with the HS math, science, and foreign language classes you do have LINC kids asking questions, but only when she asks, "does anyone have a question?" or she/he calls on a LINC child to answer a question. My middle son used the Chemistry, Alg 2, Precalculus, and Physics classes and never complained once. He also used the American Lit which was absolutely fantastic, and the Writing & Grammar which was VERY DIFFICULT for him. BJU's HS History, English and Lit are all taped, not live LINC classes. So with HS, you have a bit of both styles.

Comparing BJU and Abeka is really like comparing apples to oranges...they are so very different. I prefer BJU, but many homeschoolers use and love Abeka...so you are not alone in your preferences. ;):D

My student is older and we went with A Beka DVDs this year. She enjoys the daily classrooms and it works well for her. Today she just finished up lesson 127 today, so we are in the home stretch for this year. fyi...A Beka will have streaming at a discount next year for those who prefer it, but for me the DVDs in hand are perfect.

No curriculum is perfect for everyone;). I had dd watch both samples and we attended displays to view the books and video lessons. She prefers the A Beka and I'm comfortable with the TMs, overall program and results. Disclaimer, she has used ABeka successfully in the past without the DVDs making her transition easy. Ds...is not interested in any video lessons BJU or ABeka:001_huh:.

When mine were both using Calvert, the adjustment was a trial to say the least. My dd using the A Beka program leaves me free to work with my younger ds. Transitioning two different grades into any program is definately something to think about.

Do your research and look for what will work consistently day after day in your home. I truly have come to believe that it is the daily work that works best.

ymmv

Edited by Tammyla

Hi

Ive been going back and fouth on this as well. My kids will be 4th and 1st this august. I decided on BJU. Been there and done that with Abeka....

BJU is where Im headed. I see more great things than negative. Good luck with your choice. IT will be ok no matter what you choose.

and also agree that they will send your child running. My dc joke that the children in the Abeka videos are like robots. The children are taught and expected to answer a cetain way, they yell, they speed through answers, etc. My ds and dd were not as quick at answering as the children in the class and they got lost and frustrated. I have used K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade DVDs. I've sworn off Abeka DVDs and as my dc progress in grades, we wean off all Abeka.....except for grammar.

We have used Abeka on and off through the years. I wouldn't use them with a young child - it IS boring and slow and a total turn-off (ask my poor then-third-grader how we know this).

However, we have used and enjoyed parts of 7th grade (world history-Mr. Duby is great; English) and the 9th grade health class is excellent, imo. My kids learned alot and totally loved the teacher, Mrs. Hicks. We liked the 4th grade language arts teacher - she was great, too.

I think with some things you just have to try it and see what appeals to you and your kids.

:iagree: Good point...Expecting a young student to sit through class after class would get old quickly. K-5 looks nothing like 6th-12...different as night and day.

My dd/14 does enjoy the classroom teachers & the other students. And wow has she has grown tremendously this year as a student. Her study skills, time management and the ability to handle this course load has been both a relief and a blessing. We both feel confident she'll do well when she enters school full time and wont be overwhelmed by the sheer volume or distractions.

We have used Abeka on and off through the years. I wouldn't use them with a young child - it IS boring and slow and a total turn-off (ask my poor then-third-grader how we know this).

However, we have used and enjoyed parts of 7th grade (world history-Mr. Duby is great; English) and the 9th grade health class is excellent, imo. My kids learned alot and totally loved the teacher, Mrs. Hicks. We liked the 4th grade language arts teacher - she was great, too.

I think with some things you just have to try it and see what appeals to you and your kids.

I put a vote in for BJU DVD's without reservation. My son used the DVD's for all four years of High School, and they are EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! He graduated, and scored very high on his SAT's, even gaining a partial academic Scholarship to the College of his choice.:001_smile: