Menu

Hey all you Texans...........

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, facing re-election next year, told protesters in Austin that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principles of limited government. He recently rejected $550 million in federal economic stimulus money slated to help Texas' unemployment trust fund.

I miss Texas.

Hmm. What'd he do? He's not been my favorite governor, but maybe he's redeemed himself? I'll have to see. You really should move yourself and your ranch here. It's a great place to be! I should know...I think I've lived in basically every region here. :tongue_smilie:

Teresa

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, facing re-election next year, told protesters in Austin that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principles of limited government. He recently rejected $550 million in federal economic stimulus money slated to help Texas' unemployment trust fund.

I miss Texas.

Okay. Yes, I guess he has redeemed himself. You go, Rick!

Teresa

Heck yeah! That man has gonads the size of... erm, TEXAS! :thumbup:

Love being in Texas- can't imagine ever leaving! This is a recent quote from Texas Governor Perry....

"Every child is entitled to a public education, but public education is not entitled to every child."

He is on a roll! :D

Edited by Free Indeed

:iagree: I have never cared for Gov. Perry too much one way or the other, but in the past month or so.....it's like he's reading my mind! I'm proud to live in the state I do with a governor that IS listening to the citizens! Very impressive.

Texas is a great state. I can't imagine living anywhere else......

:iagree: I have never cared for Gov. Perry too much one way or the other, but in the past month or so.....it's like he's reading my mind! I'm proud to live in the state I do with a governor that IS listening to the citizens! Very impressive.

Texas is a great state. I can't imagine living anywhere else......

I can't help but think it's a show for the gubernatorial election.

Otoh, I sent KBH an email about the kids' lead law & got a form letter that couldn't tell whether I'd sent her a nice or naughty note.

I'm sorry to say, though, I think Perry had his audience pegged. I'd love to know what he really thinks.

Otoh, I sent KBH an email about the kids' lead law & got a form letter that couldn't tell whether I'd sent her a nice or naughty note.

I'm sorry to say, though, I think Perry had his audience pegged. I'd love to know what he really thinks.

I'm sure it's show, but if he beats KBH - more power to him. Everytime I've mailed/called/emailed her I get nothing but that form letter. Cornyn otoh, calls or mails back a response pertinent to your issue. Of course, ours had to to with military something or other. DH was deployed to Egypt and they weren't having r&r flights paid for. I just sent a simple - wonder why this is letter to cornyn and DH calls the next week wanting to know who the h*ll I'd been talking to. Cornyn wanted a response from the JAG onsite. That's one way to get your name known.:glare:

Anyway, that was a total off topic commentary.

I just sent a simple - wonder why this is letter to cornyn and DH calls the next week wanting to know who the h*ll I'd been talking to. Cornyn wanted a response from the JAG onsite. That's one way to get your name known.:glare:

Anyway, that was a total off topic commentary.

Eeks! Did you get in trouble? Maybe you'll get an airline ticket in the mail!:lol:

I hate to say it, because I really love sticking my tongue out at big government, but I agree with you Aubrey. KBH is the WAshington insider, Rick Perry is the Texas boy. He's got to play that up for the upcoming fight.

I would like to believe he means it, but after the Gardasil/Merck bit, I just don't trust him to have our state's best interest at heart.

I hate to say it, because I really love sticking my tongue out at big government, but I agree with you Aubrey. KBH is the WAshington insider, Rick Perry is the Texas boy. He's got to play that up for the upcoming fight.

I would like to believe he means it, but after the Gardasil/Merck bit, I just don't trust him to have our state's best interest at heart.

:iagree:

Perry knows he can afford to refuse the stimulus bill cuz the legislature can over rule him and accept it anyway. i think..... gotta double check that.... i might be :gasp: wrong....:eek:

No problem. We'll just rebuild the fence along New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. But please, first give back the 17 billion that TX recieved as part of the stimulus plan. The rest of us could really use it.

Astrid

It's funny. Chutzpah is NOT a word I'd have used to describe anything Rick Perry has before. Going to watch the news to figure this out.....

Here's a video of his speech. I was NOT a fan of Gov. Perry until now! This is great and I am so proud of him and hope he sticks to his guns (that's not literal guns, btw). When we read the Bill of Rights a while back, reading the 10th ammendment gave me pause when I realized how far we are from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blgUvlqLOmE

Everyone come on down to Texas! I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Registered Texan"! :D

I felt like it basically said, "this is why I am right and you are wrong". DH says he gets the same type of response from her every time he emails her.

I don't know if Rick Perry is just trying to get reelected, but if he sticks to what he says, I don't care. Maybe he's finally realized what we want. We'll see...

and I have to agree with Peek, Aubrey, and others who say it's probably more for show than anything else...AND having said that - at this point it's nice that he's saying something. I think he was one of the few elected leaders anywhere who came out and actively supported a Tea Party.

Amy's right as well about the Gardasil/Merck fiasco. Un-freakin'-believable what he did/said.

Maybe we Texans are finally remembering that we're supposed to be this fiercely independent, pull-ourselves-up-by-our-bootstraps people.

Peek, I think you're right...the Leg can override the Gov's refusal of the money. I haven't heard whether or not they'll actually do it or not, though.

Perry's not trustworthy. he's been as unfriendly to small buisness in Texas as any governor i've ever heard of...he's all about big business and toll roads for all i've been able to tell.

that being said, he's not an idiot. he wants to be re-elected and he knows what the people of Texas hold dear.

as a related note, i emailed my representative about HR50 and i got a personal letter back! i was pretty shocked, it was a far cry from the normal _fill in the blanks_ responses i've always gotten. my rep said he had signed on to co-author the resolution...the state sovernignty issue is certianly causing a commotion down here!

Well I'm disappointed. I hoped he meant it.

Don't be disappointed. I think the last few months have been a wake-up call for lots of complacent folks. Perhaps Rick Perry is among them.

The tree of liberty is oft watered by the blood of patriots and tyrants. Don't tread on me.

I say, let 'em go. But first, Texas will need to give back every dime they have taken from the government that is less than what they have paid TO the government.

Gov. Perry is grandstanding. I'm not impressed.

Michelle T

nah. I'd say just let us go -- I'll betcha we could make a pretty good case for what Texas has provided in non-monetary ways to the USofA ;)

I'd vote to secede.

nah. I'd say just let us go -- I'll betcha we could make a pretty good case for what Texas has provided in non-monetary ways to the USofA ;)

I'd vote to secede.

Soooo........just for starters, I'm sure all those Texans over 65 will be glad to give up their Social Security and Medicare, right? ;)

And don't forget that 17 billion; we'd need that back, thanks.

astrid

Soooo........just for starters, I'm sure all those Texans over 65 will be glad to give up their Social Security and Medicare, right? ;)

astrid

Why should they have to give up their Social Security?? It's their money? Just pay out the money to the individual person what they paid into SS and call it a day? Oh wait, the Feds don't have any money for SS. No one my age will ever get back the money they put into it.

I'm not really sure what 17 billion you are refering to but if it's stimulus money I wrote to my governor a while back not to take any stimulus money. We don't need it and it comes with a huge price tag. Freedom.

astrid

The real problem is what you *can't* take from Texas.

astrid

I agree w/ Michelle about SS.

Not to mention that the state is capable of setting up a voluntary retirement system for those wanting to keep SS. Many people over 65 have asked for quite awhile for the opportunity to opt out.

As for any other federal funds rec'd, I'd count it as payment for political pain and suffering or breach of contract w/ our Constitution and leave it at that. ;)

Boy howdy! That's perfect then, for a teabagger party!

But hey, there's plenty room for at least 3 more people, because we'll be exiting this state in the next few months.

Umm...yeah...I have a good time with jokes, etc..but the term "teabagger" is really really bad - I didn't see anyone else mention this, but it isn't one that people that participated in the Tea Parties would use (unless they have no idea what it is really meaning). No one else mentioned this - so thought I would.

For those of you that don't know:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teabagging

Yeah - probably don't want to open this up with the wee children around.

Those in the media that started calling people that were going to these Tea Parties knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

I have a pretty good sense of humor (and I did laugh when I heard them use this term) but was horrified when I heard others using it thinking it was a good nickname. Most of you probably already know..but if not...I feel obsessed with making sure you know.

By the way - myself, my husband, my two youngest and several of my friends went to the one in Dallas. You can see pictures of my two girls here:

http://sherrykarr.blogspot.com/

We had a GREAT time - and it was well worth the time.

Rick Perry - I have to say I am not a fan of his, but he has made some decisions the past 6 months or so I have liked. However, personally, I don't know how much it is him acting on principles, or whether he is posturing. Right now the state legislature voted to accept the $555 M in splendous package for unemployment benefits. I am not sure if that is the final word (I hope not), but it shall get interesting down here soon!