Menu

Help! Dd (grade 8) math SOS!

Cross post from the K-8 board; I realized I was asking for suggestions there, but many of those on that page may not have reached the pre-algebra/algebra stage yet. So I'm putting out my plea here. :001_smile:

My dd grade 8, who does (I thought) a fine job with math although it is not her forte, took a practice standardized test last week in preparation for the real one that we have to take and submit in VA. She got a ZERO on a very simple algebra section, out of a possible 20. ZERO.

I was not happy.

I was less happy when we started to go over the material, and she claimed she didn't know how to add/subtract/multiply when the +/- signs were mixed, she claimed she couldn't remember how to graph, and she claimed she had never heard of the associative or distributive properties.

We used Singapore math in grades 1-5, Saxon 65 in 6th, Saxon 76 in 7th with TT7 for reinforcement, and she is doing Lial's Basic College Math in 8th. She has seen these concepts before, although clearly she has been just parroting back the information in the lessons and not conceptualizing anything. Arrgghh!!!

So what do I do now?? Should I try Aleks for some reinforcement, or make her review previous concepts by pulling out old books and redoing chapter reviews and tests, or something else? I'm not happy. Really, really, really not happy.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!!

Shelly

Cross post from the K-8 board; I realized I was asking for suggestions there, but many of those on that page may not have reached the pre-algebra/algebra stage yet. So I'm putting out my plea here. :001_smile:

My dd grade 8, who does (I thought) a fine job with math although it is not her forte, took a practice standardized test last week in preparation for the real one that we have to take and submit in VA. She got a ZERO on a very simple algebra section, out of a possible 20. ZERO.

I was not happy.

I was less happy when we started to go over the material, and she claimed she didn't know how to add/subtract/multiply when the +/- signs were mixed, she claimed she couldn't remember how to graph, and she claimed she had never heard of the associative or distributive properties.

We used Singapore math in grades 1-5, Saxon 65 in 6th, Saxon 76 in 7th with TT7 for reinforcement, and she is doing Lial's Basic College Math in 8th. She has seen these concepts before, although clearly she has been just parroting back the information in the lessons and not conceptualizing anything. Arrgghh!!!

So what do I do now?? Should I try Aleks for some reinforcement, or make her review previous concepts by pulling out old books and redoing chapter reviews and tests, or something else? I'm not happy. Really, really, really not happy.

Shelly

Hi Shelly

We use Saxon Math and love it. I believe it is the best math program out there. My sons are really learning from Saxon and are very strong math students. Which editions did you use? For Saxon Math 65 the correct edition is either the hardcover second edition or the new softcover third edition. For Math 76, the correct one to use is the hardcover third edition or the new softcover fourth edition.

What I would do is stick with one curriculum. When the student is taught using different curriculums, they miss a lot because each publisher covers different things at different times. The student develops gaps or holes in their basic math background and when they approach the upper level math courses, these deficiencies are apparent.

Assuming that you used the listed editions, what I would do is go back and start with either Math 87 (using either the hardcover second edition or the new softcover third edition) or Algebra 1/2, either the older second and newer third edition. After completing one of these, she should go on and be successful in Algebra 1.

I know a lot of people skip lessons and do every other problem, but to be successful in Saxon Math, the student needs to do every lesson and every problem. And finish the book. And don't use older hand-me-down editions, they aren't useful for today. I think that math is a step-by-step learning process and if they have not learned something along the way, it'll cause a problem.

I hope this helped.

Edited by hsmomof2boys

I was not happy.

Shelly

I would try Aleks. Aleks will help you pinpoint the skills your dd needs to master. She will not be able to pretend that she understands-- since Aleks does not have multiple choice. It sounds like your daughter held the information in her short term memory and not her long term memory.

People don't realize that a student can get straight A's in math, yet still not master the skills for life.

Edited by LUV2EDU

• 2 weeks later...